3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 7:45 AM by Peter Spier

Launch error

svannuys1

Hello,

The installation was completed successfully, but I received the following error as I tried to lauch InDesign:

"Runtime Error!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

It appears right after the message "Starting up Service Registry".

Any thoughts?

Susan

• 1. Re: Launch error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Surely there was more to the error message (like an error code?) than that. Your OS and the version of ID might also be pertinent, but if this happened immediately after installattion the odds are pretty go that the install really wasn't all that successful.

In the absence of more information, I would suggest uninstalling and removing the preferences when asked, run the CS5 clean tool (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) reboot and try the installation again.

• 2. Re: Launch error
            svannuys1 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I posted what the person from tech support  told me to write. There was no error code.

I have Windows XP and my system meets the minimum requirements.  I had  tried installing InDesign on my own earlier in the day. When it crashed,  I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled with a person from tech support  watching. It crashed again on launch right as it displayed "Starting up  Service Registry".  I was transferred around to various tech support  people, and then disconnected. I went to the forums, tried changing my  default printer, clearing defaults, and clearing the saved data. Nothing  worked.  At this point, I'm giving up. I spent over 10 hours on this  yesterday and we've decided to go with a less problematic application.

• 3. Re: Launch error
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, "starting up service registry" is a known issue.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402286.html seems to broken at the moment, but http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html also describes how to remove the SING components, which are most likely the problem. You won't miss them unless you set oriental type.