7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 8:36 AM by the_wine_snob

PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac

jebsmells

I probably should have asked about this first, but here we go.

I am running Premiere Elements 9 on a 4 day old quad core i5 iMac with 4Gb of ram.

Previously running Snow Leopard but just downloaded the free update of Lion.

Unfortunately (before and after the OS upgrade) PrE keeps quitting.

All I'm really doing is 1 or 2 lines of video with a fade in and out and a soundtrack running all the way through.

It's even happened a couple of times when the program is just sitting idle while I do something else  

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

I keep filling out all the error reports and sending them off too so hopefully that helps!

Thanks again

(and thanks for the links about improving image quality, I'm reading through them right now)

• 1. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
          jebsmells Level 1

Just found/downloaded the 9.0.1 update and.... Touch wood, everything seems to be working much better now *phew*

Only minor issue is that the timeline goes a bit mad when you move items around on it, but that's a lot better than multiple crashes... Right?

I'll let you know if this has stopped the problem properly.

• 2. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
            jebsmells Level 1

Looks like the update has worked.

Great news! Can really enjoy using this program now!

• 3. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree - great news!

I was going to offer this comment, but it might be moot: I have been seeing a lot of issues (especially the GUI display) with PrPro CS3 and CS4 (older versions) and Lion. In all cases, those older programs ran perfectly on Snow Leopard, but not so with Lion. Obviously, it's tough to have a program written for an OS that was not even in development, when the program was released. So far, I have not seen many issues with PrPro CS 5.5 and Lion, but that OS is still very, very new, so we do not know what tomorrow will bring.

It could well be that the update for PrE 9 did tweak things to run under Lion, if Adobe was given the SDK for the new OS. Given Steve Jobs' opinion of some Adobe programs, I do not think that is a given, and even by a long-shot.

My fingers are X-ed for you, and hope that all works well.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for some reading on the CS 3 & CS 4 issues with Lion, see this THREAD.

• 4. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
                jebsmells Level 1

That's the thing that bothered me initially... It was doing it just as much before I took advantage of the free upgrade to Lion (new mac)

as it was after.

I'm just happy the upgrade seemed to have sorted it out. It's meant I've managed to spend some time working instead of working-out, haha.

Thanks again for help, Elements Premiere truly is a great program!

• 5. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As PrE 9 was the first version ported for the Mac, I would anticipate more "growing pains" with that process. Glad that Adobe's update fixed things. This late in the release cycle, I was a bit surprised at the release, but with the porting to the Mac, and a few other issues, it makes perfect sense, and is very welcome for all. I have not seen the list of all "fixes," as I'd be very interested in seeing that. Gotta' look more closely, I guess, 'cause it's probably right in front of me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
                    jebsmells Level 1

here's the link I got the patch from (took a bit of finding for the Mac version, but I got there).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4930

Once I'd have a quick read through the short list of bugs it was fixing, I realised that that was indeed when it seemed to

be struggling and crashing the most!

Just glad it's up and running to (not least because I had managed to convince my boss that the new set-up was a great idea!) *gulp*

• 7. Re: PrE keeps quitting on brand new mac
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that is about what I have found. It's the "other Bug fixes," that I cannot find.

Often, when Adobe issues an product update, there is a white paper, that goes into great detail on what every fix is. That might be around, but I have yet to locate it.

Thanks,

Hunt