13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 5:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets

DaveinAlabama

I have Premiere Elements 8. When starting a new project and going through the presets, none match what my camera is recording. Is there a way to create a custom preset? I tried starting a new project and going to "edit>preferences>general" but it won't let me change any of the fields. I did find an old thread where someone had something you could download to add more presets, but it was a bad link.

The video I am wanting to edit is 1280x720, 59.4 fps, mpeg. But the camera(gopro HD) also has other resoloution/framerate options. I also have a Nikon D3s slr, not sure if there is a preset for that as I haven't gotten that far yet. It will open and let me edit in the other presets but I want it right.

Hopefully someone can help me out!

• 1. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, GoPro camcorders are a tough fit for Premiere Elements. Bill Hunt has proposed a hybrid solution, and he may check in with it. But, for the most part, the video tends to use codecs that aren't supported by the program.

As for your DSLR, version 9 does include new presets that do support that camcorder's video. If you plan to edit videom from that Nikon, it may be worth upgrading to the latest version of the program.

• 2. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
            DaveinAlabama Level 1

I don't think it's a codec problem. I can open the video and edit it and save it. But not at the correct resoloution/pixel dimensions.

I should add that video is very new to me. I have been using photoshop since the late 90s and work in CS5 everyday, but I'm new to video.

• 3. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
              DaveinAlabama Level 1

As far as upgrading goes, it hasn't been that long since I bought this. I do get the educational discount but I'm not sure how much the upgrade is with that, and if it won't cover my gopro presets I'll go to another software.

• 4. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, that's my advice, based on my 7 years experience with this program and hosting this forum.

I guess it's up to you if you want to take it or not.

• 5. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The material in this ARTICLE was compiled by Gonzo, from his tests. Since he did this, Go-Pro cameras have evolved a bit, so there might, or might not be something useful for current Go-Pro's.

As for the Custom Presets, PrE does not have those, but PrPro does. PrE 9 has added a feature to help choose the correct Preset, and has expanded the number of Presets, but there is still nothing that allows for customization, like the PrPro Desktop Preset.

If one has footage, that does not match a Preset, usually the best course of action is to convert the footage to match a Preset.

If the footage has not been shot yet, the best method is to choose a camera setting that matches a Preset.

Good luck, and hope that Gonzo's article will apply to your Go-Pro model.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                    DaveinAlabama Level 1

Thanks, those are the correct resoloution for my camera. I may have to price the pro version with the discount if I decide to switch software. Elements does everything I need it to other than support my camera's settings though, I would prefer to stick with it as I'm new to video editing nad really just starting to learn some of this.

I may have access to premiere pro cs5 at work. I know there is a group license but not sure if I can get it, I'm a staff photog and we have another guy that is a staff videographer. I know he is a mac and I'm a pc so there might be an issue there, and then again he might let me use his workstation. But I'd rather be able to edit my personal video at home with a beer in hand than after hours at the salt mine.

• 7. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand how you feel. PrE is a great program, however with the number of formats/CODEC's and their often tweaked specs., I feel that the lack of a custom Preset is a drawback, and have filed a Feature Request with every version I have used. As I also have PrPro, this is less an issue for me, but feel that it could be so useful to other users. So far - nothing. I realize that Adobe has a balancing act with PrE and PrPro, in that one should expect something extra for an additional US $600 +/-, but I would think that extracting and re-working the existing code from PrPro here, would not be THAT big a deal. Still, I am not a coder, so perhaps it would be much more difficult, than I imagine. Maybe PrE 10? Unless you do have a screaming deal on PrPro CS 5.5, I think that I wouuld hold off until ~ Sept., as that is traditionaly when PrE's newest version is introduced - just in time to stock the shelves in time for Holiday sales. If more flexibility in Project settings are not included in PrE 10, then PrPro would be a viable option. As the general mechanics of the two programs is very similar, all one has to do is learn where things are located in PrPro, and get used to doing more things manually (with added control). Personally, I like working that way better, than having less control and simple buttons to push, but that is just me. Many decry having to do things with less automation, or having to use a separate bundled program, Encore, for all DVD/BD authoring, where PrE has that capability built in. All that said, I probably recommend PrE 10x more often, than I do PrPro.

Also, and especially with consumer material, PrE usually gets those in Presets, before they show up in PrPro. AVCHD and Import of VOB's are but two such examples. Still, with the Desktop/Custom Preset in PrPro, having the Presets is less of a big deal, but pure, true native support for a format/CODEC certainly is.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - though too late for PrE 10, do file the Feature Request. The more requests, the more likely that the feature will make its way into PrE.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                        DaveinAlabama Level 1

Thanks, I'll file the feature request. For the time being I'm going to compare options with Vegas and maybe some others and look to either upgrade or replace.

• 9. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Vegas gets good recs. around here (not where you'd expect them), but I have not used it.

I have older versions of CyberLink PowerDirector, and Magix MovieEdit Pro for specialized usage, but do not like the GUI of either. I basically use them to convert certain footage for editing in PrE, or PrPro. Have not seen the newer versions, so cannot comment. One side note: CyberLink seems a bit crash-prone and on a workstation, that handles mega-Projects in PrPro. Not sure what's up with that, but I use the program so infrequently, that I have never done the troubleshooting.

In those older NLE's, there is no capability for custom Projects. Both are really pretty limited, but that might well have changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                            DaveinAlabama Level 1

Thanks, I'm still learning. After Effects sounds like a cool thing to have as well. Too bad $$$ is an object!

• 11. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have not checked it out, Adobe has a wonderful suite of programs, Production Premium. It bundles PrPro, AE, PS, AI and a few others, and the price is much lower, than for each program separately. Also, with the suite, there are dynamic links between some of the programs, and those are great time-savers. Still, Production Premium is not cheap, but those programs are wonderfully useful, and this is a good way to get them all for a reduced price, over the individual programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                                DaveinAlabama Level 1

I'm downloading Premiere Pro trial now. Hopefully it will work for me, not sure how much it is with the educational discount. I think I can get it at work, I have photoshop cs5 and our staff designer has illustrator, photoshop and indesign. Our videographer has Premeire and final cut, main difference from me and those guys is they are mac and I'm pc, not sure if the whole suite is available on pc. Avaialble to us at work, I mean. Either way I would like a personal version, I think Elements 8 was only $45 with the discount, not sure.

• 13. Re: Question on Premiere Elements 8 Custom Presets
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the entire suite IS available for the PC.Note, however, that FCP (now FCP-X) is an Apple program, so only available on the Mac.

Good luck, and enjoy PrPro CS5.5.

Hunt