5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 4:06 PM by Colin-B

Lagarith codec problem - show stopper

Sean72 Level 1

Since the morning of the 27th, I have not been able to timeline preview render files with lagarith 1.3.25.0 compression without crashing out each time.  I use this codec for my animation renders rather than uncompressed because it is lossless but much smaller that uncompressed.  I have used it for years without issue.

The problem also shows up in AME.  I have tried reinstalling the codec to no avail.  Other software uses the codec ok.

Any ideas?  I have both CS5 and CS5.5 installed at the same time, both have the issue.  There was an update to one product around this time that I accepted, but it wasn't these, I think one of flash/fireworks/dreamweaver.  Is there a way to see the list of installed Adobe updates by date?  Could it be something else that updated?

Description:
        Stopped working

Problem signature:
        Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
        Application Name:    Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
        Application Version:    5.0.3.0
        Application Timestamp:    4ce382d1
        Fault Module Name:    lagarith.dll
        Fault Module Version:    1.3.25.0
        Fault Module Timestamp:    4dc88836
        Exception Code:    c0000005
        Exception Offset:    000000000000ac20
        OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
        Locale ID:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:
        http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
        C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Problem signature:
        Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
        Application Name:    Adobe Media Encoder.exe
        Application Version:    5.0.1.0
        Application Timestamp:    4c5bf70b
        Fault Module Name:    lagarith.dll
        Fault Module Version:    1.3.25.0
        Fault Module Timestamp:    4dc88836
        Exception Code:    c0000005
        Exception Offset:    000000000000ac20
        OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
        Locale ID:    1033
        Additional Information 1:    6888
        Additional Information 2:    6888820e0dec1ba79ab97ae580042de8
        Additional Information 3:    5d5c
        Additional Information 4:    5d5c836908068914ee565e1058e41a32

Read our privacy statement online:
        http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
        C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 1. Re: Lagarith codec problem - show stopper
          dradeke Adobe Employee

A couple of thoughts and suggestions:

Did the codec itself update at all?

Trash your prefs - http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2011/02/premiere-pro-cs5-maintenance-two-great-tips. html

Uninstall/Reinstall

• Uninstall CS5 & CS5.5 (remembering to deactivate) and then install CS5.5 solely.  If you're using plugins, this can create some complications as well.
          • Run the CS5.5 clean script
          • Reinstall CS5.5 solely

Dennis

• 2. Re: Lagarith codec problem - show stopper
            Colin-B Level 1

After a longish period of dormancy Lagarith has undergone a flurry of activity recently with several new versions released. It deals with several different color spaces and frame sizes, so may work OK in other software depending on a variety of things.

Try dropping back to one of the previous versions or perhaps tweaking its own properties.

• 3. Re: Lagarith codec problem - show stopper
              Sean72 Level 1

I tried the clear preferences and that didn't help, but thanks.  I uninstalled and reinstalled lagarith but that didn't help at first.  Then I found the lagarith.dll in windows/system32 and deleted it since it was still there after an 'uninstall'.  Then I tried lagarith 1.3.20 instead of 1.3.25 and all is well.  I tried 1.3.25 again and it crashed, so something in my system no longer likes 1.3.25.  So I am good for now with 1.3.20 - I'm glad it works as lagarith saves me time and storage space.  Thanks all.

• 4. Re: Lagarith codec problem - show stopper
                the_wine_snob Level 9

It is good to know what version worked for you, as it might help others with the newer build and issues. Knowing that a roll-back cleared up your crashes, might help them too.

Thanks for posting,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Lagarith codec problem - show stopper
                  Colin-B Level 1

Seano7200 wrote:

so something in my system no longer likes 1.3.25.

It's more likely to be a bug in Lagarith. Can you report it to the writer.

We had a similar problem with an older version which was simply a buffer overrun by a couple of bytes when processing a particular color space. And the crash didn't happen when used with some software which allocated larger frame buffers (so the overrun didn't matter). This is just one reason why a bug may only appear in certain circumstances and only when used with some software. This particular bug was fixed a few versions ago, but this is likely to be something similar so it would be great if you could report it to the writer of Lagarith.