5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 12:37 PM by Peter Spier

Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)

elrayyes

Hi all. I have a pretty tricky situation here. I have a nested paragraph style that treats a text box as follows:

Header Section style[Forced Line Break Character]

Running Paragraph text.[End of Nested Paragraph]

[Repeat last two styles]

But one of the sections is comprised of a bullet list, how would I go about including this style within my nested styles without distorting the remaining sections?

I would prefer to treat the whole text box with one paragraph style rather than break it in several text boxes.

• 1. Re: Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Most likely you don't want to do this with nested character styles at all. If you are using a forced line break as the trigger, it's likely that could be it's own paragraph with its own style, which can include a style for next style. Similarly, you may need separate styles for bulleted lists (and you might need more than one to handle spacing issues for first or last list item).

• 2. Re: Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)
            elrayyes Level 1

Thanks Peter. That does sound logical. Nevertheless the trigger may be changed to satisfy the result that I would like to achieve. Here is a structure of the text box that I am trying to style:

Feature 1

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In pellentesque sodales justo, a aliquet sapien elementum in. Fusce ipsum mauris, pellentesque gravida placerat sed, sagittis nec orci. Sed est ante, congue ultricies aliquet interdum, egestas ut ipsum.

Feature 2
            Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In pellentesque sodales justo, a aliquet sapien elementum in. Fusce ipsum mauris, pellentesque gravida placerat sed, sagittis nec orci. Sed est ante, congue ultricies aliquet interdum, egestas ut ipsum.

Feature 3

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
            • In pellentesque sodales justo, a aliquet sapien elementum in.
            • Fusce ipsum mauris, pellentesque gravida placerat sed, sagittis nec orci.
            • Sed est ante, congue ultricies aliquet interdum, egestas ut ipsum.

Feature 4

I hope this would be a clearer view of the results I would like to achieve.

• 3. Re: Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)
              Scott Falkner Level 5

I don’t see why this is formatted using nested styles. I would make each bold heading one paragraph, each paragraph of text below the subhead one paragraph, and each bulleted item one paragraph and have no need for nested styles. Like this…

Feature 1

Feature 2

Feature 3

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
              • In pellentesque sodales justo, a aliquet sapien elementum in.
              • Fusce ipsum mauris, pellentesque gravida placerat sed, sagittis nec orci.
              • Sed est ante, congue ultricies aliquet interdum, egestas ut ipsum.

Feature 4

• 4. Re: Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a gut feeling that the OP wants a one-click solution. You know, place text, select all, then right-click on a style name and choose "Apply $style, then Next Style." This is the only reason I can think of why this might be attempted using nested styles. However, I also have a gut feeling that the OP is going about this in a less-than-straightforward way...

I would prefer to treat the whole text box with one paragraph style rather than break it in several text boxes.

???

There's no problem with using several parastyles in a single text frame - this is exactly what both Peter and Scott are suggesting.

• 5. Re: Bullet list in Nested style (CS4)
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Well, beyond that, there's pretty much no way to do a bulleted list item that ISN'T a separate paragraph unless you are manually typing in each bullet.