9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 2:18 PM by Peter Spier

Creating book, need basic help!

SS_Beginner

My predecessor created an InDesign book using CS2.  I am to create the new version of the book using CS4.  I have her template/final version from last year.  It is a reference book made up of a series of articles.  I need to replace the old with the new.  Is there a shortcut for this?  I have tried cutting and pasting to no avail.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

What stumbling blocks are you having.

Look at the Paragraph & Character Styles panels to see if the template/final used styles, report back if there are more than {Basic Paragraph}.

The source files either have individual text frames for each article or a continuous flowing text frame all the articles/stories. What fashion did the other user use?

I'll ask about Master Page elements next.

• 2. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
            SS_Beginner Level 1

The paragraph style box says (mixed). Then there is a list of elements including (basic paragraph), TNR 10 full just, ARIAL narrrow etc..

• 3. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

Your in for a crash course on Paragraph Styles.

TNR full just means the creator used Times New Roman - Full justified for that block of copy. Study the layout; as you insert your text cursor in different areas, you'll see the styles/formatting used.

Get a feel for the layout; It starts with a header style, followed by a body copy style, perhaps finishes with {TNR - Last} just before the next article. If the person was adept, Head Style may automatically be followed by Body. (You can get by without understanding this)

Save a copy, Open YOUR copy document, select all text (insert cursor, select all, > Delete) File > Place the new copy, sounds like you did that, but the formatting isn't ready, no surprise.

Insert text cursor into one spot, or several paragrapghs of body copy, click the appropriate para style. You need to study the styles against last version to understand the usage. One (or more) styles are Parent Styles - other styles are based on the parent for instances of Indent, or Numbered/Bulleted or Last Paragraph. (Double click a Style > General Tab shoes if it based upon and other tabs show different attributes)

You see mixed, you selected more than one paragraph. When you see a style highlighted with a + next to it, there is a modification used.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                SS_Beginner Level 1

Thank you, I will work on that.  I am working in a copy now so I can make mistakes!  I have deleted text and will now try to get the new text inserted correctly.  I will be copying that text from word 2010.  See any problems with a copy/paste?  Do all lines have to be formatted to accept a certain font/style?

• 5. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, don't copy paste, Place the files. You have more control over what happens by showing the import options.

Second, while everything Daniel has said is spot on, I'm not yet sure if we are talking about a single document built from many Word files, or an InDesign Book, which is a container for multiple InDesign documetns to be collected into a single output.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                    SS_Beginner Level 1

It will be a single document made up of 19 word files.

• 7. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                      SS_Beginner Level 1

Thank you both for your help, I will check in again tomorrow and have ordered InDesign for

Dummies!  All help is still very welcome!  I will including tables and figures throughout the text as well.

I have them in place in the word docs and can convert all to pdf and will try to "place" tomorrow.

• 8. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, then you don't need to worry about things like synchronizing swatches or styles across documents or updating numbering. It should be pretty straightforward.

• 9. Re: Creating book, need basic help!
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not my first choice of books. Sandee Cohen's Visual Quck Start Guide is: http://amzn.to/qo9tRk

Additionally, you can check out the video training on Lynda.com. This link will get a 7-day trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob