11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 8:54 AM by camilo umaña

How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?

camilo umaña Level 1

Have a long text always with two pieces of text per page, both with paragraphs returns and need to place one part to the top and another to the bottom, divided at the center only by the logical white space resulted from the splitting. The frame option «justify» is not useful if maintaining leading is a requisite.

One solution is treating the «bottom» text as a footnote... but it is very rude...

Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 2.24.04 PM.png

• 1. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually this may not be as bad as you think. If you set the vertical justification on a frame to Justify, then set a large number as tha paragraph space limit, all if the space necessary to fill the frame will be taken between the paragraphs. This will push a two-paragraph column to have one paragraph at the top and one at the bottom.

• 2. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
            camilo umaña Level 1

I tested the frame options justify menu but it is intended just for «force» a text among a space. When leading and integrity is required the computer options are not considering that the space in the center is the main element and the calculations should allow each portion of text to go top and bottom.

Think it is not possible to make a perfect splitting as each page is different and trial-error for introducing am test-trial number is a mess; also the leading use to change...

ID has indeed a formulae for this in the treatment of footnotes. I dare to think that that mechanism is the real solution.

Anyway I will try again although it seems a hazardous system.

Thnak you.

• 3. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?

Vertical Justification Spacing 3.png

This might not work in running, threaded text. It will depend on the text itself, and the keep options applied, but will always work in the last frame of the thread.

• 4. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

As a test, I split the frame in half, threaded top to bottom and applied Text Wrap to the center object/text frame, and set the bottom text frame to justify to bottom.

The amount of wrap offest would need to be adjusted manually, a deal breaker probably, but text could flow through the document.

• 5. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                  camilo umaña Level 1

The layout was finally made breaking each page in two pieces of text.

(A calamity, breaking frames, copy paste, etc)

Later frame specification were very easy: top frame with top adjustment; bottom with toppom adjustment. No more. The space in the center is obtained very easy. No wrap  is required, neither manually operations.

The idea is how to do ir for 2 hundred pages with a solution already inside in ID (the footnotes mechanism...) or similar.

• 6. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?

Did you look at the screen capture I posted?

Even in fully threaded text this should work if the keep options are set so that alternating paragraphs are set to start in next frame or column. You can do this by making two styles, one based on the other, changing only the start paragraph location between them, and then setting them to be the next style for each other so they alternate.

• 7. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                      camilo umaña Level 1

Please, excuse me, but I had not seen your the capture posted.

I will test it.

It seems fine!.

• 8. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                        camilo umaña Level 1

Peter, perhaps is not working if you have more than a single paragraph in each section. For this layout it seems useless.

42.jpg

• 9. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?

I think we have maybe a communication problem.

I interpreted your question to be how to separate two paragraphs top and bottom, but now it looks more like you want to separate multi-paragraph "sections" into two parts top and bottom, and yo are coorect, what I suggested does not do that.

What MIGHT work would be to put text frames on the master pages, two on each, one above the other (and these two frames can actually overlap to allow for content of different lengths). The two top frames should have vertical alignment set to top, the lower frames should be set to bottom. Thread the top frame on the left to the bottom frame on the left, then the top frame on the right and the bottom frame on the right.

If the paragraph style for the first paragraph in any "section" is set to start in next frame you should jump from frame to frame each time you hit a new section, and the there will never be more than two sections on a page, with the maximum gap available (though if there is a particularly long section, you might need to artificially adjust a frame height to create a gap, especially if the frames overlap), no matter how many paragraphs appear in the section:

Vertical Justification Spacing overlap frames.png

The threading here looks confusing. The top frames extend not quite to the bottom, and the lower frames come not quite to the top, so the outport on the upper frame is lower on the page than the inport on the lower frame. I'vew added numbers so you can see the sequence.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                            camilo umaña Level 1

Finally!

I tried to use paragraphs in plural in my first post but it was not clear.

Your answer seems the best solution until this moment.

[Anyway convert the second part to a footnote appears interesting althought should be tested...]

I remembered that in the old times of PMaker, when footnotes were not automatically placed at bottom, that some designers used to flow the text in two steps. The first step flowed the main text, preparing the master page to have a high bottom margin value; later, without layout adjustment; once done, in the same m page, the top margin value was increased just enough to have a text box of on inch, for example. Now in this narrow space could be flowed the footnotes [converted previously to endnotes] as a galley. The last step was adapting the master page to the real values. The result was have two independent boxes of text. The footnotes could be easily managed with a style paragraph tagged «next page». And pull the galleys fast and easy to finishing pages.

Yes, two text frames in master pages...

Thank you!

• 11. Re: How to split perfectly a text in a column in two parts, top and bottom?
                              camilo umaña Level 1

As the text must be manually «flowed» perhaps the sequence is simpler. (Transforming the second part as a footnote is perhaps easier and faster)Screen Shot 2011-08-04 at 10.45.10 AM.jpg