11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2011 11:24 AM by John Ratard

i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations

John Ratard Level 1

My custom assembled quad i7 PC is approximately one year old.  I have had a continuing problem with operational speed using the mouse when editing video.  The first few mouse clicks start functions quickly in Premier Pro and other software in Creative Suite CS5.  However, after several mouse clicks, nothing appears to register.  After a short time, mouse clicks again become active but the PC becomes sluggish.  It has been recommended that I check with Adobe to confirm that my system meets Creative Suite CS5 specifications.  As far as I can determine, the system exceeds the specifications on the software box.  I am concerned that one of the RAM modules may not be meeting specifications for speed.  How can I check this for the following setup or other suggestions?

- ASUS P6TWS Professional Motherboard

- Intel i7 920 CPU

- DDR3 1333 12GB RAM

- 4 1TB HD

- ATI RADEON 4670 1G Videocard

- Coolermaster 690 case witrh 700W Real Power

- LG BlueRay Writer

• 1. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What brand/model mouse, and what mouse driver?

If something other than the default Windows mouse driver, remove the current driver and restart and let Windows use the default driver, to see if that works better

Do you have a tablet (Wacom?) connected?

Do you have any USB devices connected?

Have you tried a different (both newer AND older) device driver for your ATI card?

What version and update level of Windows?

• 2. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have indexing turned off on your disk drives?

Do you have any anti-virus, spam, malware software running?

• 3. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
              John Ratard Level 1

In answer to:

What brand/model mouse, and what mouse driver?

......Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 with Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

If something other than the default Windows mouse driver, remove the current driver and restart and let Windows use the default driver, to see if that works better.

....I presume the Windows driver, as above, provided with the mouse is compatible, or can the bells and whistles with this driver be a problem?

Do you have a tablet (Wacom?) connected?

....No tablet.

Do you have any USB devices connected?

....USB connection for Cordless Desktop LX710 Laser (Keyboard & Mouse).  NOTE: I am connected CAT5 to a LAN through a D-Link router DI-624.  LAN also connects 2 PCs (Windows XP) on CAT 5, and 1 notebook (Windows Home Edition 64 bit) on WiFi.

Have you tried a different (both newer AND older) device driver for your ATI card?

....Not yet, but will try if that helps solve my problem.

Thanks John for your help.

John

• 4. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
                John Ratard Level 1

In answer to:

Do you have indexing turned off on your disk drives?

....I haven't checked yet.  Do you mean I need to turn it off or on?

Do you have any anti-virus, spam, malware software running?

....I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall running.  No specific spam or malware other than might be included with MSE or firewall.

Thanks Bill for your help,

John

• 5. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations

Turn indexing off definitely!

Try disabling both security programs off and see if that makes a difference.

How many processes do you have running in Task Manager under the processes Tab after you check Show processes from all users?

• 6. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built, with some things similar and some very different

Win7 64bit Pro with all (automatic) updates and CS5 Master Collection with all (automatic) updates, so PPro is 5.0.3

Wired keyboard and mouse (old style, not USB) using the generic Win7 driver... not intellipoint, which I have read in other messages MAY cause problems

DSL modem connection, which is also a home (2 computer) network through the DSL modem

I have had ZERO problems, of any kind, with PPro

My best guess is that, yes, the "bells and whistles" of your intellipoint mouse driver MAY cause problems... but, with a wireless mouse, you may actually NEED that particular driver to make the mouse work at all

Sorry... I don't have any other ideas to offer

• 7. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
                      John Ratard Level 1

Thanks loads John and Bill,

You have given me some excellent suggestion in an effort to solve my problem.  Competing software buzzing billions of bits around at high speed sounds like a good candidate to troubleshoot.  This would be a good candidate for specialized troubleshooting software.  I will also check the Event log.  I had not anticipated that a high speed multirouting and multitasking machine would require as much fine tuning than I have been used to with slower single processor PCs.  As I am multitasking with IT, electronics, video editing and multimedia, traveling, and house/yard maintenance, I may not be able to deal with this soon.  I will report back.

Regards,

John

• 8. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations

John, sounds like you need our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) to see how your system does on just Premiere.  Run it to see how you compare to 357 other results.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
                          John Ratard Level 1

Thanks Bill for your continuing help

REMOVE INDEXING: I have started by removing indexing from the C drive with 3 drives left to go.   Disk 0, C drive, is where I keep the project files, Disk1 is for the video and picture source files, Disk 2 is for the audio source file, Disk 3 is for the rendered files.

EXTERNAL DRIVE via USB: I forgot to include an external 2TB Disk 4 for all the overflow source files waiting to be edited.  This is connected via USB to the quad PC.

Apart from DV video tape I also convert 8mm and S8mm film to DV with a Workprinter XP from MovieStuff.  I use one of the Windows XP PCs with RAID 0 to capture the DV then I store these on Disk 4.

PROCESSES:  Running P. Pro CS5 there are 54 processes that include 14 svchost.exe.

SUMMARIZING: Apart from Creative Suite 4 and 5 tools on the quad PC, I have:

- mocha AE

- mouse/keyboard (USB connect)

- external Disk 4 (USB connect)

- HP Photosmart Premium (LAN connect)

- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

- Silverlight

- MSXML 4.0 SP2

- Smartsound Quicktracks

- Java

- Memorex exPressit Label Design

- Plus all the utilities that are included with some of these tools.  I could eliminate some of this by sending files over the LAN to a second Windows XP PC to deal with printing, labels etc.  I already use this PC for my email.

• 10. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations

John Ratard wrote:

.   Disk 0, C drive, is where I keep the project files, Disk1 is for the video and picture source files,

Wrong, do not use your boot drive for anything (video editing wise) but your OS and the applications. Put your project and media on another fast disk drive or array.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: i7 64 bit quad PC, 12GB RAM, slows down after several click operations
                              John Ratard Level 1

I have been travelling in England and Spain for two months.  Now that I am back I am continuing to follow both you and John Smith’s suggestions as follows:  

1. Turn off indexing on your disk drives.
                              2. Try wired keyboard and mouse (old style, not USB) using the generic Win7 driver.
                              3. Try disabling both security programs.
                              4. Do not use boot drive for anything (video editing wise) but the OS and applications. Put video project and media on another fast disk drive or array.
                              5. Try a different (both newer AND older) device driver for your ATI card.

Status of above numbered items:

1. Indexing is turned off on all drives used for video editing.
                              2. The Asus P6T WS Pro motherboard has a combo keyboard/mouse PS2 connector.  I was attempting to use an old PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse to replace the Microsoft cordless keyboard/mouse.  This would require a PS2 male to 2 PS2 female adapter.  Information on the Internet shows that there are 2 spare pins on a standard PS2.  These 2 spare pins are used on combo PS2 connectors for the mouse clock and data that I assume is the case for the ASUS motherboard.  This requires a special adapter where the regular clock and date pins go to the keyboard PS2 female and the spare pins go to the mouse PS2 female.  I have so far been unable to find such an adapter.
                              3. I need to use the Internet for program updates so I would disconnect the LAN to disable the security for the trial.  If security is the problem, I presume this would mean disconnecting the LAN and disabling security each time I edit video.
                              4. I have 3 1TB drives other than the boot drive, one each for source video, source audio, and rendered output.  I am thinking that the audio source drive would be best to share with the project file because the audio files are not as demanding on the CPU if previously processed in Soundbooth.
                              5. I will try different drivers.

As you recommended, I ran the Premier Pro Benchmark against my i7 PC to find that the performance was close to other similarly configured PCs. This confirms I am faced with external component issues.  In this case the mouse interaction during editing is the likely suspect.  I will try a second run after the modifications.  I do not know how files are sourced in the benchmark test amongst my 4 hard drives so the results may not indicate a better allocation of drives.

Do you know where I can get a reliable combo PS2 adapter?  Is sharing the audio source drive rather than the video source or rendered files drives with the project file the better choice?

John