5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 7:30 AM by Peter Spier

Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…

wideEyedPupil Level 1

There are a few tasks that always me require reaching for my stylus in the middle of keyboard based operations and I wish I could assign shortcuts for them. One is switching from the "Formatting effects container" to "Formatting effects the text".

Another is from switching from the "Paragraph Formatting Controls" to the "Character Formatting Controls" in the Toolbar (top of screen) and visa versa. Although I've mitigated against this need by having both the Para and Char Control Panels visible at the same time.

Is there a keystroke that can make either the first (eg. Left Indent) or the last-used field in a palette (eg. Space After) highlighted and active so when I type a number followed by enter it changes the value? Like the old Cmd-Opt-M and Sft-Cmd-Opt-M in Quark days (IIRC).

What about keyboard controls for bringing different palette into focus. OS X has some controls for this with Universal Access but I find them frustratingly unusable in most Applications.

This is not a question asking how do I find the Edit Menu> Keyboard Shortcuts… command, I can't find these operations inside the set of assignable commands. ;-)

I'm on CS4 InDesign 6.0, OS 10.5.8 mostly.

• 1. Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is not a question asking how do I find the Edit Menu> Keyboard Shortcuts… command, I can't find these operations inside the set of assignable commands. ;-)

Did you try clicking Show Set and searching with a text editor?

One is switching from the "Formatting effects container" to "Formatting effects the text".

J.

Another is from switching from the "Paragraph Formatting Controls" to the "Character Formatting Controls" in the Toolbar (top of screen) and visa versa. Although I've mitigated against this need by having both the Para and Char Control Panels visible at the same time.

Cmd+Opt+7

Is there a keystroke that can make either the first (eg. Left Indent) or the last-used field in a palette (eg. Space After) highlighted and active so when I type a number followed by enter it changes the value?

Cmd-Shift-T focuses on the Paragraph panel.

• 2. Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John,

I have to say I think you were a little snarky there. I used a text editor to search for "formatting affects text" and "formatting affects container," which is what the tool tip says those buttons do. I also searched the product areas I thought were relevant, and also found nothing. The only way I discovered the shorcut was searching for J after you revealed it to do the job, and I discovered the command under Tools, Toggle Text and Object Control.

That's not something I was looking for, and would probably not have thought to look for, given the labelling in the panels, nor would it occur to me that it would be under Tools (even though those buttons, like the stroke/fill proxies also appear there) becasue I've always considered them only to apply to color (since they also appear inthe color and swatches panels). I see now that it also affects stroke weight, even though you can't access the buttons in the stroke panel.

• 3. Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…
              John Hawkinson Level 5

That's fair! I had to cheat, too.

I'm afraid I did write the first sentence on the basis of the last query (Paragraph panel), which is definitely findable.

Though I do think it's important not to knock the power of searching in a text editor. I actually do it fairly regularly.

Also, I'll point to my recent proposal on the comments on InDesignSecrets podcast #152 suggesting we should all reread the entire list on the average of David and Anne-Marie's birthdays. Well, at least Diane and I, I don't know if anyone else is going to join us :-).

I do have a special relationship with the letter j, so I'm perhaps in a slightly different situation than you there. I'm afraid P is nowhere near as obscure.

I hope, wideEyedPupil, that you were not turned off by the directness of the response!

• 4. Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…
                wideEyedPupil Level 1

No offence taken, John. I used to actually know all these short-cuts by memory and had a cheat sheet stuck up near my displays to learn them. I spend months away from ID and forget it all and get very frustrated if the prefs/docs can't give me instant gratification!

So yes, thanks again.

• 5. Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for some palette switching…
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'll forgive John, too.

You both might be interested to know that if John hadn't actually provided the correct answer, I was about to suggest that the toggle likely would be exposed to scripting, even though it "apparently" was not exposed in the shorcuts list, and that someone over in that forum might do a simple one-liner to which a keyboard shorctut could be assigned.

I'll add that if you are serious about wanting to do this with a shorcut, and you are a keyboard jockey (I'm not), J might not be the best thing to use since you might already have a text cursor active, so making a custom set with a modifier key combo of your choice might be a good idea.