2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 11:27 PM by reymentphoto1

Banding in JPG exports

reymentphoto1

Hi guys

I export my designs as JPGs for printing at a photographic lab, using the RGB colour space.

Since upgrading to In Design CS5.5 and Photoshop CS5.1 (both from CS5) I have found my JPG exported layouts are displaying banding in the images (for instance, it looks like a feint rainbow in a clear blue sky. See image below). I have tried linking level 10 or level 12 JPGs or uncompressed TIFF files in both 8-bit and 16-bit to my In Design file, with the same results. The JPG or TIFF files that go into the layout do not have banding in the original file. The banding only occurs after exporting from In Design.

Exporting as a PDF seems to have no banding, but as our lab only accepts JPGs I really don't want to have to break down a PDF to JPG for each project.

Any clues?

• 1. Re: Banding in JPG exports
          Stix Hart Level 5

As you've found out InDesign is not good at jpeg export, although I don't know what would have changed from CS3 to CS5.  Have you tried the same image in CS3?

You can try all the options in the jpeg export dialog, but if none work, exporting to PDF and from Acrobat to jpeg is the most common way to get better jpegs from InDesign.  BTW there is no image in your post, you have to use the camera icon in the web interface to upload them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Banding in JPG exports
            reymentphoto1 Level 1

Thanks for your help Stix.

Sorry about the missing image, I had intended to upload one, but the uploader downsized it so much it wasn't possible to see the banding, and I forgot to remove the text referring to the image.

Still hoping this is a bug in the new CS5.5 or perhaps a change to Adobe's JPG rendering engine, since it wasn't an issue in CS5. Breaking down a PDF into JPGs is a short-term workaround, but not ideal in the long run due to volume of work.