14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 4:46 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Does MPE Affect My Exports?

Toomany3 Level 1

I've just made a bunch of changes to my system in an effort to speed up my slow exports.  I now have them exporting and rendering faster, but I did so many things at once that I'm not sure which thing has made a difference.

I reinstalled Win 7, and also CS5 PP, and in the process I forgot to run "The Hack," ahem, for my GTX480 Nvidia card.  So MPE isn't on now.  And things are faster, at least exporting.

Is it possible that the MPE can actually SLOW things down?  Especially since isn't not an officially supported card?

• 1. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

MPE isn't used with Adobe Media Encoder, only with a direct export.

And while the quality of the image might be 'different' from what you expect when using MPE, I've never had things go slower as a result of using it.

• 2. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
            Toomany3 Level 1

MPE isn't used with Adobe Media Encoder, only with a direct export.

You mean exporting directly inside of Premiere instead of sending it off to AME, right?

So when you export directly from Premiere, Cuda does kick in?

• 3. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
              lasvideo Level 4

What do you mean"direct export"

When I choose EXPORT in PrP there are several options (Media, Title, Tape, EDL, OMF,AAF and FCP XML.)

When I choose to output a file / movie I choose Media. Which immediately opens AME. So I'm not clear what you are referring to when you talk about "direct export". I believe all exporting goes through AME.

• 4. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                Toomany3 Level 1

There's two ways that I know of.

1. FILE > EXPORT > MEDIA > QUEUE
                2. FILE > EXPORT > MEDIA > EXPORT

Number 1 takes it off to AME.  Number 2 keeps it exporting in Premiere.  Maybe it's the same engine running both processes.  I thought that this is what you were referring to.

I called number 1 the "directly from Premiere" option.

• 5. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I believe all exporting goes through AME.

That's true, but there's a difference in whether AME is acting as the master application or as the servant. When you use the Queue command, you're putting the sequence into the AME queue for processing later by AME, with AME as the master. It then calls a headless version of Premiere Pro to render frames that AME then encodes. This is different from the File > Export > Media command, which uses the main Premiere Pro application to render frames and then sends those to a servant AME instance for encoding.

There are pros and cons to both ways. One of the cons of the queue approach is that it isn't CUDA-accelerated.

• 6. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                    lasvideo Level 4

Todd would be a good reference on this one, but Im pretty sure the same AME engine is used in both Export and Queue.

• 7. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Tom, I can't tell if you were responding to my post above or if you responded before seeing it.

• 8. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                        lasvideo Level 4

Wow Todd that was good timing....I think we both responded simultaneously. I mentioned that I thought you could add to the discussion and POOF there you were.

So if there are elements in the sequence that could benefit from CUDA acceleration, the Export path would be faster?

• 9. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So if there are elements in the sequence that could benefit from CUDA acceleration, the Export path would be faster?

Yes.

But the convenience of batch exporting can also be a time saver. So, it depends.

• 10. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, my workflow is usually to render and export a lossless master, which goes to an AME watch folder, which is set up to encode to all of my output types.

• 11. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                              lasvideo Level 4

Yup, kind of like in the olden days when I would dump my Avid DS project to digibeta thus creating a master, then make all the VHS client dubs.

Out of curiosity, what codec is your choice for mastering. For years Ive loved Prores, but after seeing the road Apple is  going down its good to have other options. Cineform? My only concern with them is after being bought by Go Pro Im a little concerned how much focus and development will be given to it over time.

• 12. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                                Toomany3 Level 1

Out of curiosity, what codec is your choice for mastering. For years Ive loved Prores, but after seeing the road Apple is  going down its good to have other options. Cineform? My only concern with them is after being bought by Go Pro Im a little concerned how much focus and development will be given to it over time.

That's my question too.  I'm using Cineform now, myself, but I wish I could use DNxHD for my preview files and then I'd keep it all DNxHD.      

• 13. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                                  lasvideo Level 4

Yes, DNX would make sense since Avid has been around for a while and seems to have a renewed sense of longevity.

• 14. Re: Does MPE Affect My Exports?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Out of curiosity, what codec is your choice for mastering.

PNG codec in a QuickTime container for items that began as 8-bits-per-channel; OpenEXR image sequences for items that need to be 32-bpc.

(I'm a compositor, so I need truly lossless masters and intermediates, and hard disks are cheap.)