9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 2:31 PM by TNperry

picture in a picture

TNperry Level 1

Using Element 9 Plus.  Trying to edit a video and use Picture in a Picture.  I have done everything it says to do but no luck making it work.  My vid is a continous shot totalling 1 min 55 seconds of continuing video.  The guy I videoed is talking and when he mentions a certain subject I want to utilize the "picture in a picture" to highlight what he is talking about. I shot a stll pic of the item he refers as well as a short vid/mov of the item he refers to.  What I want to do or have tried to do is play the vid until time for the "picture in picture".  Pause the vid and inject pic into main video for a few seconds just to show viewers what he is talking about.  When I do what they say to do nothing appears or pops up saying "picture in a picture" or nothing looks the same on my screen as it does in the instructional vid.  Am I missing somthing here?

Thx

• 1. Re: picture in a picture
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

From the sound of it, you are not talking a PiP, but just an Insertion of other Clips/Stills. For PiP, you would still have the main Clip playing, and the PiP would just appear in an area of it. Maybe I mis-read what you want to accomplish.

For the former (Insertion of footage), you would just replace Frames in the main Clip with Frames from the Still, or other Video. Probably the easiest way to do that would be to just place your Still, or "cut-away" Video Clip onto Video Track 2 (above the main Clip), and then use any Transitons on the Clips/Stills on Video Track 2, if necessary. Otherwise just all for a "Butt-cut."

For true PiP, the layout is the same. Unless there is a PiP Preset that gives you exactly what you want (I never use those), just use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position to Scale your Clip/Still down, and then Position it, where you want it. This example shows a PiP of a woman on a cell phone over a Clip of a jet landing:

PiP_Effects_Control_Panel.jpg

If I am doing a lot of PiP work, I will construct an alignment grid, to help me with the Scale and Position, like in this image:

Alignment_Grid_01.jpg

If you want more info on building, and using an alignment grid, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: picture in a picture
            TNperry Level 1

Thx for your quick reply.  When I drag my still or clip into the scene line

or time line it will show/play in the main video stream but there is silence

in the main video until the still shot has passed based on the number of

seconds I have set it for.  I would like to have the still or clip show up

as a small pic on or in the main vid as the guy is talking.  I want to hear

him talk and see the still or clip. There is no sound connected with the

still or clip.  Hope this explains it a little better.

Jim

• 3. Re: picture in a picture
              TNperry Level 1

After reading your reply again, yes this is what I want to PIP like the

airport lady in still on the same shot as the jet clip.

Jim

• 4. Re: picture in a picture
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For PiP, you will want to change to Timeline View Mode. Sceneline is basically only useful for initial arrangement of Clips on Video Track 1. After doing that "storyboarding," just change to Timeline View Mode, and edit from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: picture in a picture
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

yes this is what I want to PIP like the

airport lady in still on the same shot as the jet clip.

Great. That is PiP, and the Timeline View Mode will unleash the power for you.

Good luck, and please report your success.

Hunt

• 6. Re: picture in a picture
                    TNperry Level 1

Thx again, I got what I wanted this time around.  I was trying to use the

scene line earlier as the instructional info told me to do.

Jim

• 7. Re: picture in a picture
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Great news, and glad that the Timeline View Mode opened up the PiP for you.

Also, one can animate PiP's over time, by using Keyframes for those Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: picture in a picture
                        TNperry Level 1

Thx for your help Bill and I really appreciate your immediate replies to my comments and questions.  Not many forums that you can say that about.  Job well done!

Jim

• 9. Re: picture in a picture
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome. We try, as well as we can around here.

Happy editing,

Hunt