1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2011 8:06 AM by Peter Spier

Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm collecting links to FAQ lists for various Adobe products (like this one for After Effects and this one for Premiere Pro).

Is there such an FAQ list for InDesign?

I'll be publishing the list of FAQ links on the Technical Support and Customer Service team's blog.

• 1. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
          macinbytes Level 4

Just the stickies about round tripping to avoid minor document corruption and replacing or resetting prefs. Otherswise Peter, Jong and Bob are the FAQ. They generally have answers in a fraction of the time Domino's takes to deliver.

• 2. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm sort of working on it, but haven't quite gotten it together yet. We need one about backsaving, for sure...

What's the time frame on this?

• 3. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What's the time frame on this?

Ongoing.

I'll post what I have today, but you can give me a link to any new FAQ lists whenever they arise.

• 4. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

How common are the YDB and Stitching Lines posts?

• 5. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

My gut says less than once a month.

• 6. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                    Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Document Troubleshooting

Delete/Reset Preferences

and

Exporting to IDML/INX to remove minor corruptions

Saving backwards to previous versions

• 7. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

I'm thinking we probably need one about "missing plugins" messages opening files from newer versions, too.

Any more that seem to come up once a week?

• 8. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The Weeh Weeh InDesign Makes My Images Look Fuzzy is quite a common one.

Perhaps a list of what InDesign does *not* could be useful (i.e., edit PDFs, vectors, or bitmap images; create useful SWF or HTML...).

• 9. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

I think also "How do I get page numbering to number from page 3" comes up quite a bit?

Creating sections and starting numbering after the cover.

• 11. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                            Harbs. Level 6

Peter,

How 'bout we create a sub-forum for the FAQs like Todd has there.

Harbs

• 12. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

I second that motion

• 13. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Did you just Quantum Leap? Is that you Sam?

• 14. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and the Rest is of course that there is an Online Guide for InDesign.

That needs to be pointed out to lots of first-time posters.

• 15. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Sub Forum, eh..

Is that better than a FAQ topic with links to the individual FAQ threads? Would anyone see it it as a subforum? Maybe a link similar to troubleshooting on the main page to the sub-forum?

Do you need something for scripting, too?  Do we need a link at the top of the general page for Scripting? Seems like we send a lot of people there, but maybe not because they are lost.

• 16. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

[Jongware] wrote:

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and the Rest is of course that there is an Online Guide for InDesign.

That needs to be pointed out to lots of first-time posters.

RTFM? Are you kidding? That's soooo 20th century....

• 17. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

On the same note - the "why are my images fuzzy"

Located very handily in the InDeisgn Help tree structure under

Home /Using InDesign / Graphics / Placing graphics

It doesn't explain why the images are "fuzzy"

Similarily I don't feel the instructions in the help file for Starting a document numbering from Page 3 is very well described in InDesign Help

And I thought it came up frequent enough around these parts?
                                        • 18. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                          Harbs. Level 6

Yes. There's definitely a need for a scripting related FAQ.

I actually started writing a "getting started" scripting doc some time ago, but that project kind of fizzled out...

The advantage of a sub-forum, is that it's easy to findall the faq questions in a single place...

• 19. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

How do you keep random users from posting new topics?

• 20. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                              HeyMikey Level 3

I agree with macinbytes. I just ordered a pepperoni pizza and wings, and in the meantime got the correct answer on several issues, courtesy of the three musketeers (and others, as well) 

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 21. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                Harbs. Level 6

There appears to be a way to lock the whole forum...

Harbs

• 22. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                  > How do you keep random users from posting new topics?

I set the FAQ sub-forums up in the After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Audition forums so that only specific people can post there. Any forum host should be able to do the same.

> Is that better than a FAQ topic with links to the individual FAQ threads? Would anyone see it it as a subforum? Maybe a link similar to troubleshooting on the main page to the sub-forum?

We have links to the FAQ lists in a few prominent places---in the banner on the home page for each forum, in the pod of related forums on the side of each page, etc.

• 23. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

OK. Seems like a good solution.

If I just write up regular posts (or one of you other guys) to cover these topics, as I did for troubleshooting, and post them, are you able to aggregate them if we tell you which ones they are, or should we set up the subforum ourselves?

• 24. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                      Stix Hart Level 5

What I would like to see is a list of things to try if InDesign is running slow, like turn off PreFlight, change Live Screen Drawing to Delayed, close the pages panel etc.  Adobe wrote a whole whitepaper on Photoshop (here)!

• 25. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

How're we doing on this, Peter? Any progress in setting up a FAQ subforum? I suppose we should really try to draft the answers [somewhere?] before they go live there? (Not sure how to do that. Would a second sub forum be pushing it?) I do think Todd's done a great job with the way the Premiere forums and its FAQ are set up, and we should emulate that.

Anyhow, I don't really know anything about natural language processing, but I thought it would be a good idea to try to get some handle on the top questions that get asked around here. So I asked Jive for the last 12 forum index pages with 1,000  topics per forum.

Then, I used this quick perl script to pull out the subject lines:

#!/usr/bin/perl
                                                        use HTML::TreeBuilder;
                                                        binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8");
                                                        foreach my $file_name (@ARGV) {
                                                            my $tree = HTML::TreeBuilder->new; # empty tree
                                                            $tree->parse_file($file_name);
                                                        #   <td class="jive-table-cell-subject">
                                                            for $s ($tree->look_down("_tag", "td",
                                                                             "class", "jive-table-cell-subject"))
                                                            { print $s->as_trimmed_text(), "\n"; }
                                                        }

Now I'm kind of stuck because I don't know how to do natural language processing.

At first I tried ignoring the problem and just looking at the most frequently used words, but that didn't turn out too well. Here are frequencies and words:

2754 to 2225 in 1855 InDesign 1404 a 1001 CS5
                                                            959 with 878 and 799 text 744 CS4 719 the 716 PDF 714 - 711 How 710 of
                                                            697 on 691 Indesign 623 from 600 for 590 I 578 when 570 not 473 page
                                                            433 file 394 CS3 338 ID 320 is 308 files 307 do 292 Text 285 an 262
                                                            indesign 255 export 245 pages 245 document 240 or 236 problem 233 pdf
                                                            220 my 216 as 209 Problem 208 into 177 open 172 Export 169 exporting

I asked around and everyone said I should use NLTK, so I gave it a shot. I don't really know how to use the built-in handy NLTK functions on lists of lists of words (i.e. lists of questions), but since they operate based on locality, it seems kind of OK to use them on all the questions mashed together. So here we go:

$ python
                                                        Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jun 24 2010, 21:47:49) 
                                                        [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
                                                        Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
                                                        >>> import nltk;
                                                        >>> f = open("subjects.txt")
                                                        >>> raw = f.read()
                                                        >>> tokens = nltk.word_tokenize(raw)
                                                        >>> words = [ w.lower() for w in tokens ]
                                                        >>> text = nltk.Text(words)
                                                        >>> text.collocations(100)
                                                        Building collocations list
                                                        indesign cs5; data merge; indesign cs4; indesign cs3; paragraph
                                                        styles; snow leopard; master page; interactive pdf; paragraph style;
                                                        text box; text frame; n't work; master pages; please help; print
                                                        booklet; need help; drop shadow; page numbers; text boxes; spell
                                                        check; cross references; text frames; keyboard shortcut; page
                                                        numbering; digital editions; n't open; text wrap; best way; error
                                                        message; facing pages; indesign cs2; character style; crop marks;
                                                        selection tool; text variables; xml import; keyboard shortcuts; error
                                                        code; pdf export; character styles; cs5 crashes; bounding box; help
                                                        needed; page number; nested styles; edit original; get rid; adobe
                                                        indesign; baseline grid; running header; trial version; numbered list;
                                                        cross reference; n't show; missing fonts; anchored objects; clipping
                                                        path; numbered lists; serial number; tagged text; line breaks; text
                                                        flow; anyone know; swf file; vertical justification; running headers;
                                                        digital publishing; every time; bulleted list; object style; file
                                                        size; spot color; control panel; links panel; strange behavior;
                                                        suitcase fusion; next page; epub export; page transitions; table cell;
                                                        help please; cs4 crashes; exported pdf; white space; overprint
                                                        preview; indesign cs5.5; mac osx; single page; anchored object; small
                                                        caps; multiple records; page size; overset text; excel spreadsheet;
                                                        anyone else; quotation marks; n't get; grep search; row height; layout
                                                        adjustment

That seems a lot better.

So, those are the top 100 two-word phrases that appear in the last 12,000 forum questions titles.

Of course, people oten don't use good titles for questions... Still, I think it give us a good starting point for the top questions (especially "n't work". I really like that!)

If somebody around here knows how to use NLTK more usefully (or wants to figure it out; or some other tool for similar purposes), and perhaps wants to do some operations on the actual 12,000 threads themselves (rather than just the titles/subjects), I'd be happy to automate gathering the corpus of data.

P.S.: This is kind of cool, though not particularly useful:

>>> text.concordance("crashing",79,5)
                                                        Displaying 5 of 68 matches:
                                                        and osx 10.7 ( lion ) indesign cs5 crashing at " starting up service registry 
                                                        pdf/x-3 : 2002 format indesign cs3 crashing in mac 10.6.8 help with liz castro
                                                        wing text boxes etc . consistently crashing black tints turning into cmyk text
                                                         into indesign cs5 causes constant crashing indesign barcode plugins in loadin
                                                        omnipresent beachball indesign cs5 crashing when packaging . id cs5 crashing w

Also, here are 5 randomly generated 10-word questions from this corpus:

>>> for _ in range(10): text.generate(10);
                                                        why is text offset from edge inside text frame ?
                                                        why is indesign cs5 indesign highlighted some of the technique
                                                        why is that possible ? newbie question : do buttons
                                                        why is indesign the right direction.. . unresponsive paragraph style
                                                        why is quicktime suddenly " not sold " to make
                                                        why is " allow document pages to shuffle " placed
                                                        why is n't snap profiles and ads for newsprint saving
                                                        why is my indesign indesign cs3 crashes upon launch master
                                                        why is 'typical display ' so disappointing indesign cs5 -
                                                        why is smart text reflow with multiple lines ) object-level

(Wow, I guess I decided to write this post in the verbose style...)

• 26. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Oh, also, there's probably some way to make Jive just spit this out, but...

Top ten most-viewed topics:

52028 28 how to save down from INDD CS5 to CS4
                                                          43605 34 2011 Calendar Template for Indesign (CS compatible)
                                                          36235 111 Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                          32232 351 InDesign Backwards Compatibility in CS5 an MAJOR issue
                                                          31010 59 Opening InDesign CS5 documents in CS3?
                                                          25332 305 Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5
                                                          24009 78 InDesign CS3: Plug-in problem
                                                          21786 99 InDesign CS4 Package/Collect for Output - Missing links problem
                                                          21002 69 InDesign CS4 launches with missing workspaces, keyboard shortcut sets, etc
                                                          20904 62 Adobe Indesign CS4 Trial

Top-ten most-replied to topics:

32232 351 InDesign Backwards Compatibility in CS5 an MAJOR issue
                                                          25332 305 Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5
                                                          7190 205 CS5 Running very sticky
                                                          9073 200 Frame edge highlighting
                                                          385 181 [Perm]Opening InDesign CS with InDesign 2.0.2
                                                          7117 169 Background PDF export Help
                                                          6927 165 Missing Fonts
                                                          6040 127 InDesign CS5
                                                          5029 119 Page imposition and CS5
                                                          36235 111 Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• 27. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Another one I see regularly is how to change from one document size to another. For instance, Letterhead to A4. Where they need to turn on Layout Adjustment and pray.

Or perhaps they need the A4 layout to be A5  - so placing the InDesign file into an A5 sized file would accomplish this - if they're ok with everything being scaled.

There's plugins for the latter, http://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-i ndd-files.php

• 29. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                              Stix Hart Level 5

Yup, I think Scott Zanelli's plugin deserves a permanent plug somewhere in this FAQ, it's the link I point people to the most often.  I'd like to contribute to the FAQ that mentions that before it is posted, or perhaps there would be someone (...Peter!) that we could make suggestions to after the fact?

• 30. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Harbs and I are actually working on a FAQ subforum now, but it isn't quite ready to go live. I wrote a half-dozen or so topics over the weekend, but there's pleny of room for more. One minor difficulty is that ordinary users cannot create a topic (that's a good thing -- keeps the subforum on track and allows for greater review), but it means one of the mods has to either write the topic, or you have to send us a contribution is the from of text we can copy and post.

Please feel free to do exactly that. If there's a topic you think should make it into the FAQ, write it up and send it to me in a PM. or wait a bit until the thing goes live, probably in a week or so (Harbs is kind of busy at the moment), and I'll talk to admin and see if we can get permissions for you knowledgeable regulars to add topics, too, so you get credit on your post counts -- who knows, someday they might benefit you.

As currently set up, although regular users can't start a thread, they can, and hopefully will, add embellishment to the thread as always.

• 31. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

If there's anything you would like a hand with, reading, or writing something up let me know.

• 32. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

In response to Stix's suggestion about a permalink of some sort to the Zanelli script, I have mixed feelings about posting a faq that refers to "external" content that might not be there at some point, and also to answers that bypass fundamental use of the program as it ships. That doesn't mean I'm opposed, I also post links to the script and other InDesgin Secrets articles quite often, I'm just not sure it's a good idea.

I'd like to hear more from the rest of you about it.

• 34. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

Umm,

Didn't I just say you should write up topics and send them to me?

• 35. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

We've been seeing a lot of Win7 large font problems in the last two weeks, too, to which we generally link to the KB article, but I doubt that adding it to the FAQ would make much difference.... No harder to link direct in a response that to link to the FAQ with a link in it.  I think maybe that is part of my hesitancy about linking to outside content inside the FAQ.

Sigh.

• 36. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

I don't know what you've already written up - so I don't want to double to work. When I see the FAQ and think something could be added I'll let you know

• 37. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

@ John,

I'm not sure the most common phrases is a big help, though it might be. I also would like to avoid having a FAQ list that is so long you can't find anything in it. I'd be willing to bet 99% of users don't go beyond the first page browsing for a topic, and they probably won't do a search (which is or isn't currently working with Harbs'  widgets? does anyone recall? I think the answer is "not"), so I don't want to "over do" and build something that nobody will use.

Since you haven't been here all that long, here's some history. In the dark ages before Jive there was  liast of about a dozen "sticky" topics at the top of the forum list, and one of those was to a rudimantary FAQ that had a dozen or two questions at the time. I think Dave Saunders wrote that one. ID was, of course, a lot simpler then, too.

Over the course of time I found myself writing the same instructions for trashing prefs manually about every other week, and eventually I wrote a text file that I copied and pasted into responses. A couple of other users copied that same text and used it, too, so wh had a sort of informal stock response.

Then came Jive and all sorts of things changed. We lost our stickies and we lost some loyal participants. After a bit we learned mods could add the text boxes to the page as way to make a sort of substitute sticky, but they're huge, and only on the overview page. I expanded my stock prefs response and added one bout export to .inx, as those seemed to be the two answers lots of us were giving on a regular basis, and trouble-shooting 101 was born.

I think it's safe to say that it hasn't made a dent in the number of users asking the same questions over and over, but it is useful for responders, since now we can just point to the thread.

I see the FAQ as ultimately being the same.

• 38. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets by saying I tried to write up something for all the topics suggested last week, and maybe one or two others I thought of on my own.

Here's the current list:

FAQ List.png

That last one is an invitation to suggest more, with a warning that you'll get asked to write it up.

Harbs is working on some scripting topics.

I anticipate we'll move the prefs and .inx/.idml threads here, too, once it's live.

• 39. Re: Is there an FAQ list for this forum?
                                                                                John Hawkinson Level 5
                                                                                I'm not sure the most common phrases is a big help, though it might be.

For clarity, I wasn't suggesting it as anything other than a tool to jog our memories about what the most common questions were.

Search is currently working globally but broken when scoped to a forum.

(Note, also, that Jive version 4 is theoretically coming to us next month. Believe it when you see it of course.)

1 2 Previous Next