4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 1:44 PM by ALIREZA.Z

canon 5Dii workflow with premier

ALIREZA.Z

i need help: i shoot with 5DII and i used adobe premiere CS5, project setting was 1080 25p, why the footage after export looks funny,? is not smooth at all like my sony EX1 or some other video in vimeo that been filmed with 5D? do i need to do something like scale or reduce the size or change the format? could you let me know what setting do i have to use to get better project and export.

some says use MPEG streamclip to:

1) reduce the size and change to different format like Apple ProRes 422 HG

2) some other says to change to apple XDCAM HD 1080 30p

3) and some one told me about Native format, is it the 24P?

i really need help as i am getting fed up with my footage. i need to know from scrach to open new project for this kind of file or what format shall i change?

many thanks guys.

• 1. Re: canon 5Dii workflow with premier
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          why the footage after export looks funny,?

You'll need to explain this better. Funny how?

do i need to do something like scale or reduce the size or change the format? could you let me know what setting do i have to use to get better project and export.

You don't have to do anything out of the ordinary: import, drop it in a sequence, and edit. No converting is necessary. If you don't know the parameters of your footage, drop a clip on the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel. You'll get a sequence that matches your footage.

What codec and settings you're using to export is important, though. That's less automatic, so you need to choose the parameters (or at least a preset) carefully to ensure the best--or most appropriate--output.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: canon 5Dii workflow with premier
            ALIREZA.Z Level 1

the footage is a bit slow, is like slow motion, or jumpy, the export i had H.264 preset HDTV 1080 25p HQ PAL

open project is XDCAM 1080 25p or shall i use digital SLR 1080 25p, dose it make very different look? also i use my sony EX1, i record in 720 50p (as i need more frame rate for some slow motion) what projet setting do you use to combain both format together?

BTW, thanks for your reply.

• 3. Re: canon 5Dii workflow with premier
              Colin Brougham Level 6

What are you using to play the exported MP4 with? That might be the cause of the problem.

Really, the name on a preset doesn't matter--XDCAM or DSLR or anything else--it's just about the "numbers." So if your frame rate matches (most important), your frame size matches, and your field order matches, you can use any preset you want.

As far as mixing the footage, if you normally shoot 720p50 and edit in a sequence that is 720p50, you'll be able to drop your 1080p25 footage right in that sequence. Premiere Pro will automatically double up frames to match the new frame rate (the difference is imperceptible), and you may or may not have to resize your footage (depending on whether you have the Default Scale to Frame Size option in Preference enabled) to match the smaller frame size. The footage is going to look different, obviously, but should marry together in a single sequence just fine.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: canon 5Dii workflow with premier
                ALIREZA.Z Level 1

many thanks, normally i open project 720 50p and when i import my 1080 25p footage, in motion, i change the size to 67% that excatly 720 farem size in PP window. thanks for your help.