23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 6:39 AM by DCrosen

Adobe Photoshop 3.2

DCrosen

Hi, I am having the same problem as other people on here about getting pictures out of the Adobe 3.2 after the sunscription ran out. Of course I can't register and unlock it because it is no longer supported. I tried this a couple of years ago and tech support would not help so gave up. This time the Adobe tech told me to go to this forum. It seems like someone at Adobe Tech line would be able to help you instead of telling you to go to this forum. Is the page I am looking at the album? I went under My Pictures and found a Adobe file and then a Digital Camera file and deleted the pictures on there some of which were on the 3.2 page. After reading other forums, I still don't understand how to get to these pictures. I have tried the Search using the picture id and it found just that pic. I know a good bit about using a computer, but there is still a lot I don't know or understand. Any help that can be given in as simple terms as possible would really help. I really want to look at the pics as they were taken in 2003, but will probably delete most of them. Right now am downloading pics from my cell phone which I think is being done by Adobe Photoshop and then putting them in My Documents. I did notice that if I double click on C Drive, then double click on Program Files, then click on Adobe, then double click on Photoshop Album Starter Edition, then double click on 3.2, then double click on Apps, all kind of files, folders or apps whatever they are are there. Some of the pics may have loaded with the software that came with an HP camera I had. I don't know it has been so long. I have been trying some of the things on the forum and not having any luck. I can get some, but not all of the pics.

• 1. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
          Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

Hi DCrosen,

The way you phrased the problem; "can't get photos 'out' of 3.2', reveals a common misconception about Album and your photos. I just thought of an analogy that might help.

If your in the restaurant and you look at a picture menu, that's Photoshop Album. When you order the food, the waiter goes back and gets your meal from the kitchen; the kitchen is the folder where your pictures are actually stored.

The menu is not a replacement for the kitchen; it's simply a representation of the kitchen. If the menus all burned up some day (unfortunately, as this is basically what happened with the Starter Edition app), your food doesn't go away, just the pictures of the food.

One of the benefits, yet drawbacks, of Starter Edition is that is easily masked where the kitchen was; people who had gotten used to using Starter Edition to access their photos were unaware of the actual location of the files, so that when the app stopped working, many were asking the very same question you ask, which is 'how do I get my photos now?".

The answer is that you will have to resort to the 'normal' routine of dredging through the file system using Windows Explorer to locate the files; all we can do is guess where you may have stored those files; they could be in your My Pictures folder; they might even be in an Adobe Digital Camera folder in your My Pictures folder, if you used the downloader to copy files to your computer.

The files and folders in your Program Files folder are where the program itself is stored, not the images which would have been downloaded by the program; those generally go into your My Pictures folder (but you could have changed the default to go anywhere).

Does any of this help explain where the files might be?

-Mark

• 2. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
            DCrosen Level 1

Yes, that helps. I have looked in those folders and found some of them. 

However, I don't know exactly what you mean by using Windows Explorer  to find

the files. I think that is what I did. However, if you could explain I 

would know for sure.

Thanks,

Darrell

In a message dated 8/3/2011 7:39:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Hi  DCrosen,

The way you phrased the problem; "can't get photos 'out'  of 3.2', reveals

a common misconception about Album and your photos. I just  thought of an

analogy that might help.

If your in the restaurant  and you look at a picture menu, that's Photoshop

Album. When you order the  food, the waiter goes back and gets your meal

from the kitchen; the kitchen is  the folder where your pictures are actually

stored.

The menu is  not a replacement for the kitchen; it's simply a

representation of the  kitchen. If the menus all burned up some day (unfortunately, as

this is  basically what happened with the Starter Edition app), your food

doesn't go  away, just the pictures of the food.

One of the benefits, yet  drawbacks, of Starter Edition is that is easily

masked where the kitchen was;  people who had gotten used to using Starter

Edition to access their photos  were unaware of the actual location of the

files, so that when the app stopped  working, many were asking the very same

question you ask, which is 'how do I  get my photos now?".

The answer is that you will have to resort  to the 'normal' routine of

dredging through the file system using Windows  Explorer to locate the files;

all we can do is guess where you may have stored  those files; they could be

in your My Pictures folder; they might even be in  an Adobe Digital Camera

folder in your My Pictures folder, if you used the  downloader to copy files

to your computer.

The files and folders  in your Program Files folder are where the program

itself is stored, not the  images which would have been downloaded by the

program; those generally go  into your My Pictures folder (but you could have

changed the default to go  anywhere).

Does any of this help explain where the files might  be?

-Mark

• 3. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

The program that you use to browse files on your computer is called Windows Explorer (as opposed to Internet Explorer, which browses the web); sounds like that's what you used to find some of your files.

-Mark

• 4. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                DCrosen Level 1

When I go to My Pictures, there are picture files there that I assume Photoshop downloaded. They were taken with an HP digital camera. There is an Adobe File there too. When I click on it a Digital Camera Photos file comes up and it did have some of the pictures in it. I can't understand why the other picture files are there and some of the ones I am trying to get were in the Digital Camera Photos, but not all of them. I think they were all taken with the HP camera. I have looked and tried everything to find them. Most of them I want to delete, but would like to make sure there isn't something on there I want to keep. There is a file named album.pvm I guess could be them, but Windows can't open it.

• 5. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

When you plug your camera in, Windows auto launches a screen that lets you choose what you want to do with the pictures. When you install Photoshop Album Starter Edition, we install a Photoshop Album Starter Edition item that will appear in this screen, which happens to copy files into that Adobe/Digital Camera folder you referred to. Unless you uninstall Starter Edition, this utility will continue to appear, even if Starter Edition doesn't work. It's actually a handy feature for copying files, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to keep it around.

But if you don't always use that utility to copy files (which you wouldn't have used prior to using Starter Edition), then your files would have been copied to some other location. For the most part, all of these utilities will, by default, copy files from a camera card to some folder in My Pictures, but that is where the copy location behavior may differ.

To avoid accidentally deleting files, I would pull all your images out of that Digital Camera folder, and move them to your My Pictures folder (and into any meaningful folder structure that you would like to use for your photos). I would not assume that any images in that folder are duplicates of images elsewhere on your system; they may be the only copies of some of your photos that you have, so don't delete files unless you really know that you don't want them.

-Mark

• 6. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                    DCrosen Level 1

Thanks Mark for the help so far. Well when we got the camera I don't know if I had the Adobe yet or not. My ex wife knew more about it than I did. There is a Windows program that downloads photos? I think I did see a a screen with choices that you are talking about, but can't remember if it still does it or not. Or would there have been a downloader on the CD-Rom with the camera? I am now using my cell phone to take pictures and install the card into a reader and then Adobe is downloading it and giving me a choice of where to put the pics. I have been putting them in My Documents. If I uninstall the Adobe Photo Album, will the pics still download or will I need another Adobe program? I looked at the pics that were in the Adobe file and kept what I wanted, but not all of them were there. I can see a lot of the pics when the Photo Album starts up. With that said, I still have the same problem. Can you tell me where else or how to find the pics? I have tried everything.

• 7. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

Taking your questions in the order in which they were asked,

Windows does have utilities that can download photos off a card reader, and Starter Edition included a similar utility. Since there are generally several options for download photos, Windows first puts on what it calls the AutoPlay window, where it lists all the possible downloaders that can copy files for you. Likely the HP software that came with your camera also had a similar utility, if you installed it.

Each of them likely has its own preference for where copied files go to. In the case of the Adobe Photo Downloader, it's that Adobe/Digital Camera files folder.

You don't have to rely on Adobe to download photos from your card reader, since there are many alternatives to choose from. What I have decided to do is once I have a program that handles the download for me that I'm happy with, I uninstall competing software, or the check the option at the bottom of the AutoPlay screen that says "Always do this"; that way, I have a consistent download experience and can extablish a workflow for storing photos.

As far as finding the files, it sounds like you have the process for finding files well understood. As far as using the Adobe downloader software goes, it would have copied them to that Digital Camera Files folder. If you are missing files, the only advice I can offer is that they would likely have been copied to some location in your My Pictures folder.

-Mark

• 8. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                        DCrosen Level 1

Thanks for all the info and help Mark. I just can't understand where they would have gone. As far as I know I never did anything with them unless by accident and in fact just decided to try to retrieve them again after a long time. I know a little about computers and am trying. It's just frustrating when you can see the pics on the Photo Album page, but can't get to them and don't know what else is on there or what else to do to get them. Could they possibly be in the pvm file? Heck I don't even know what that means and why Windows can't open it. What Adobe program would you recommend? It would be nice to have one where I can touch up the pics.

• 9. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

In your initial question you stated the subscription ran out; I took that to mean that you cannot launch Starter Edition anymore, right?

-Mark

• 10. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                            DCrosen Level 1

I have been reading up on the pvm files and it is related to the Registry. I guess I'll have to download a program to fix my registry.

• 11. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

That's risky; you can wipe out a lot of data if you make a simple mistake editing the registry. What's a PVM file, and what made you start investigating that?

-Mark

• 12. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                DCrosen Level 1

I had to use reply for some reason because it would not let me edit my last message. I was told I didn't have the permission to. Anyway, it will start and I can see the pics then the Registry screen comes up and freezes everything. I found a album.pvm file under My Pictures. I have a friend who works on computers and will ask him about it before I do anything. Yes it starts up then comes to a My Catalog page then the Registry screen comes up and none of the icons will work.

Darrell

• 13. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

Ah, the Registration screen for Starter Edition appears on launch, then stops; OK, that's expected behavior. The Registry is something entirely different, which threw me off.

Then you are recalling from memory (or by seeing what little part of the screen you can behind the registration screen) the images, and are unable to locate those. Note that even though Starter Edition's download utility would download photos into the Adobe/Digital Camera folder, Starter Edition would have initially scanned your entire My Pictures or My Documents folder, so just because you see something in Starter Edition doesn't mean that it once existed in the Digital Camera Folder. Unfortunately, you will still have to scan the hard drive looking for the files.

A .pvm file appears to be a file generated by the HP software; I don't know what it does, or if it contains any pictures in it. I would guess it's just a binary file that you can't edit.

-Mark

• 14. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                    DCrosen Level 1

I do appreciate your time and patience very much.

Darrell

• 15. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                      DCrosen Level 1

It's hard to tell what it is. Are there any keywords that you can recommend I use in the search? I have tried some of the ones others have tried on here, but can't remember what they were. I think I tried the letter, numbers and .jpg under the pics.

• 16. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                        DCrosen Level 1

Also can you recommend an Adobe product that I can use that isn't expensive and will allow me to edit the pics or does the Windlows program allow you to do that? What do you use?

Darrell

• 17. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                          DCrosen Level 1

I am doing .jpg search again and as before I found some of the pics, but there are a lot of pics and images that are one here that I have no idea where they came from.

Darrell

• 18. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

Yeah, lots of random images is par for the course.

The least expensive offering from Adobe is Photoshop Elements (around $70 retail); I use Photoshop Lightroom for my photography; sounds like your needs are likely not as advanced as Lightroom would warrant.

There are many free options for your computer as well; could look into Google Picasa (downloadable desktop app). It works similar to Photoshop Album Starter Edition, in that it scans your computer and creates that index for you; it is perhaps the easiest way to see all the images that you have on that system; easier than trying to find them all manually.

-Mark

• 19. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                              DCrosen Level 1

Well, I really need to buy a decent digital camera. My ex wife got that. I think the software with those usually lets you edit the pics? Are there any other keywords that you can think of to use in the search?

• 20. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

If you install Google Picasa, it will scan as much of the hard drive as you want, finding everything for you and showing it, just like Starter Edition did; then you would just need to delete whatever you don't want to see. It would do a great job of showing you at least what's on the system.

-Mark

• 21. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                                  DCrosen Level 1

Well Mark I appreciate all your time, help, advice and patience. I'll try the Google. If the files are somewhere else, will it hurt anything to uninstall the Photoshop?

• 22. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2

No, uninstalling Starter Edition will only remove Starter Edition files, not pictures.

Good Luck!

-Mar

• 23. Re: Adobe Photoshop 3.2
                                                      DCrosen Level 1

Thanks again Mark. It's nice to know that there is someone at Adobe who will take the time to help. Good Luck to you too!

Darrell