11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 4:22 AM by MDBRD

How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?

MDBRD

Hello,

I have installed Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 on a Mac and I have authorized my computer. I borrowed two DRM managed ebooks from our library, after download they showed up in ADE and they are readable.

Now, when I plug in my Sony Reader it isn't seen by ADE. Neither plugging it in _before_ nor _after_ starting up ADE does change anything. It just doesn't show up in the "Bookshelves" section of ADE as it is described here http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#transfer_supported_reader

Any idea? Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
          Jmakuk37

I also have a Sony ereader, seems you have followed correct steps

1. register ADE

2. register Sony ereader and authorise computer

Did you set up your Sony library ? as this is what I use for my books, not the ADE library.

You can use either library (or should be able to)

• 2. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
            MDBRD Level 1

Yes, I have setup Reader Library and registered my Sony Reader.

My computer and the reader show up as authorized in my Sony account. 

But you cannot transfer books from Adobe Digital Editions (when the 

reader does not show up in ADE) to the Reader Library. And ADE 

unfortunately is the only way I can borrow DRM-protected books from 

our library...

• 3. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
              fanny farkle

exact same problem.  the help desk keeps telling me to deactivate, activate ADE.  it doesnt show the Sony Reader in the library.

Sure would be nice to use it.  anybody?  Adobe?

• 4. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                MDBRD Level 1

Good to hear this is not a problem on my machine only.

BTW, I'm using a Sony Reader PRS-300 - if someone at Adobe ever

happens to read user forums???!

• 5. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Hold  on, folks.  There are multiple issues to deal with.

First: You will have used your Adobe ID and password to get it installed on

your computer.  That same user ID and password need to be used to activate

the SONY reader on the SONY website.

Next:  When you activate the SONY reader on the SONY website, you'll be able

to use it with the SONY website.  BUT, you have to tell the SONY website

that you do not want to restrict your use of the reader to the SONY website

by telling it that you do NOT want SONY to manage your epub files.

Third:  You need to make sure that you follow the steps in order to get ADE

and the SONY reader to interface after getting all of the preliminaries

above out of the way.  Plug in the reader, make sure the computer 'sees' it,

and THEN bring up the ADE application.  ADE will 'see' the reader as long as

the computer has it 'logged in'.  If it's already authorized to ADE, then

the reader will appear on the Library screen as an entry on the left hand

side (the bookshelf side).  If ADE sees it and it's not authorized, then ADE

will ask you whether you want to authorize it.  Say 'YES', and ADE will put

it on the Library screen.

Not activating the SONY reader with your Adobe ID and password is the main

reason that the readers are not seen, and not telling SONY that you do NOT

want the SONY website to manage your epubs is another.

===============

• 6. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                    fanny farkle Level 1

I have registered my product with Sony.  I did not find any search on the Sony site that allowed a user to "activate" the Reader.  There were no options to select manage, not manage my library.

I have confirmed that the computer recognizes the reader

I have confirmed that the EPUB is in fact on the reader.  I can open adn read the EPUP on my computer.

I have plugged in the Reader before opening ADE.

I open up ADE and it still still does not see the reader.

I'm bout ready to stomp on it.  AZ.  what say you?

• 7. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                      MDBRD Level 1

To Frustrated in AZ

Good point:

"To tell the Sony website that you do not want to restrict (...) by

telling it that you do NOT want Sony to manage your epub files."

I suppose, by "website" you are talking about My Account in the eBook

Store, right? It's within the Reader Library software only, I

couldn't find access to My Account on their website, they are forcing

you to use their software for account management.

But where in My Account shall I tell Sony that I don't want them to

manage my epub files? In My Account is no option for what you are

describing.

In My Account, I can only deauthorize my computer. And, BTW, I have

no option to deauthorize my Reader, I only can rename it. Which

raises another question: How can I deauthorize my Reader if I'd like

to use it with an other computer..? Do I have to deauthorize my

computer to deauthorize my Reader?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I've heard that a couple of times now.  I activated my PRS-300 at least six

months ago, and I had that option at the time.  I wonder if SONY changed

their process - or if I stumbled upon one of those 'undocumented features'

that some websites have.

I have been back to the SONY store once since then - and it checked to see

if I had my ereader attached at the time, then opened up My Account.  I

transferred only one ebook to my ereader, and haven't been back since.

Sorry, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the SONY store.

================

• 9. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Some times a simple thing becomes 'frustrating', doesn't it?  [personal

experience speaking.  Back in the '70's, I used to have hair - but then I

tried to use my new personal computer.]

When you register with SONY, the registration process looks to see if you

have the ereader attached, and will write a small file to it with your SONY

user ID and password (which should be the same as your Adobe ID and

password).

I am confused by one point you make: the ebook is on your ereader.  Then,

you go on to say that you can read the ebook on your computer.  So, I

'assume' that you mean the ebook is on your computer.

When ADE opens up, does it open in 'Library' or 'Reading' mode?  That

affects what you see in the 'Bookshelf' pane on the left hand side of the

display.  If it's just not seeing the ereader in Library mode, then I'm

stumped.  According to what you said, you've done all that you should do.

Sorry!

===============

• 10. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                            MDBRD Level 1

I am confused by one point you make: the ebook is on your ereader.

I didn't say that, I said from the beginning that I can see my rented

books in ADE. Only in ADE. Which means on my computer.

When ADE opens up, does it open in 'Library' or 'Reading' mode?  That

affects what you see in the 'Bookshelf' pane on the left hand side

of the display.  If it's just not seeing the ereader in Library mode, then

I'm stumped.

Me too... ADE is in library mode when opened and the Sony Reader doesn't

show up there, despite the fact that in Reader Library (Sony's software), it

does.

• 11. Re: How to make ADE see my Sony Reader?
                              MDBRD Level 1

I've heard that a couple of times now.  I activated my PRS-300 at

least six months ago, and I had that option at the time.  I wonder if SONY

changed their process - or if I stumbled upon one of those 'undocumented

features' that some websites have.

Just to clarify: By "website" you mean http://ebookstore.sony.com/ ?

If this is the case, Sony definitely has changed something 'cause I

can access this authorization area only via the Sony Reader Library

software.

On the Sony website above, there is not option to login (any more?).

I have been back to the SONY store once since then - and it checked

to see if I had my ereader attached at the time, then opened up My Account.

You've been there with the Sony Reader Library software, right? (Not

with a web browser.)

Nevertheless I think all this is a failure on Adobe's side. The Sony Reader does work as expected and plays well with calibre and Sony's own Library Software. It's Adobe who's to blame for their silence and complete absence of support to problems like this, documented since 2008 in forums all around.