4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 4:44 AM by nycfonephreak RSS

CS4 Web Premium Installation Fails - Windows 7 Home Pemium 64-bit

nycfonephreak

I have a brand new computer running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. The very first software I tried to install was CS4 Web Premium. It failed to install after working for awhile and apparently installing some of the lesser parts of the suite - failed to install the major components such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.

I ran the clean suite (whatever it's calld) and tried again with the same results. Eventually I just installed a standalone version of Photoshop CS5 since Photoshop is the software I use 95% of the time and I needed to get some work done, while I continued getting the rest of my software/data set up.

Now, that I'm almost done installing my software and moving my data to the new computer, I'd like to go back and install CS4 - in particular I only need Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and Flash. What's the best way to get this installed? Will I be better off trying to do this installation under Compatibility Mode since it doesn't want to install in normal mode? If so, how would I do that (do first need to copy the contents of the installation DVDs to the hard drive?)

Computer: Lenovo IdeaCentre K330, Intel Core i5 2300(2.80GHz), 8GB DDR3,1TB HDD Capacity, NVIDIA  GeForce GT 420 (1GB), Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 1. Re: CS4 Web Premium Installation Fails - Windows 7 Home Pemium 64-bit
          Mylenium MVP

Will I be better off trying to do this installation under Compatibility Mode since it doesn't want to install in normal mode?

Hasn't anything to do with it. It will fail just as well. Plain and simple: You are missing a patch/ Windows update or a specific runtime distribution e.g. one of the MSVC ones or a specific version of .NET. Check tzhe Microsoft pages manualyl and install this stuff or have Windows Update do an extended search for compatibility problems and solutions.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS4 Web Premium Installation Fails - Windows 7 Home Pemium 64-bit
            nycfonephreak Community Member

Is there any way for me to know for sure what needs to be updated?

Since starting this process and after giving up on CS4 temporarily, my computer has downloaded numerous Windows updates so I'm wondering if it's safe for me to just try installing CS4 again. I've read some horrow stories of people needing to reformat and reload the OS after failed install attempts and I'd hate to have to do that after spending so much time setting up this 1 week old computer.

--- edit -- just re read you rmessage and saw the note about doing an extended Windows update search. I will try this  ---

• 3. Re: CS4 Web Premium Installation Fails - Windows 7 Home Pemium 64-bit
              Mylenium MVP

Which specific component is responsible is impossible to tell without seeing the install logs and even then it may not show up, I'm afraid. Could be anything. People just usually don't take notice, because when you have installed many programs already, chances are it's already on your system. also check your Windows event viewer. if this is a generic error due to a missing DLL, it may show up there...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS4 Web Premium Installation Fails - Windows 7 Home Pemium 64-bit
                nycfonephreak Community Member

Well, I guess the windows updates that had been applied over the past few days fixed whatever it was that the CS4 installer didn't like. I was able to successfully install CS4 last night with no apparent problems. Thanks.