9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 2:03 AM by screeen

Customizing Paging File: what is the recommended initial and maximum size?

screeen Level 1

Hi everyone, and Harm,

Following Harm's response to my question about how to setup disks, Harm said this:

"disk allocation: It is a three stage process, first you define the boot order in the BIOS, then you format the disks inWindows and allocate drive letters, then still in Windows you setup the pagefile. Then the allocation of media cache, preview, project etc. is done in the preferences and project setup of PR."

and I have a question about paging file.

First let me say describe my new machine, it has a 4 disc setup, no RAID, 16GB RAM, with OCZ-Vertex3 for OS & Programs, i.e. i have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on this disc, and Web Premium CS5 and Acrobat Pro 9. In BIOS, i have made the OCZ (OS) disk, be the priority in the Boot order.

Later, after verifying the system is in working order, i will upgrade to Classic Collection CS5.5, so at this point, i have named my 3 additional disks as such,

WDC WD 2002FAEX-007BA0 - "Media Projects(D)"
      WDC WD 1002FAEX-00Y9A0 - "Pagefile, Media Cache (E)"
      WDC WD 1002FAEX-00Y9A0 - "Previews, Exports(F)"

So, for now these are simply names, which i have given to the various disks, and now i am changing the paging file, switching it from happening in the OS disk, in order to happen inthe disk which (via Premier, later) will be designated for Media Cache.

So, in Windows Performance Options pane, I went to Advanced tab, & under Virtual memory I hit "change", uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, select drive E, which is the disk that's to have the paging file happen in it.

And the question, assuming that i am supposed to select Custom size, can you Harm, or/and others, please recommend the Initial and Maximum sizes?

Or, should i select "System managed size"?