5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 6:43 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility

Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

I am about to upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5, and there are now two upgrade versions at different prices.  If I buy the cheaper upgrade version of Premiere CS5.5, I need to have Premiere CS5.  OK - I have but this CS5 is an upgrade version itself.  My most recent full version is V1.5.

Now to my problem.  If I buy this cheaper version, when I install CS5.5 I shall be asked for a serial number.  No problem there, but it will be recognized as an upgrade and I will be asked for a serial number for CS5.  I have this but it is not a full version, so will it be accepted?

One solution that occurs to me is to leave CS5 installed while I install CS5.5, but this must have the potential for problems.

A second idea is to un-install CS5, but take the option to leave the activation valid.

Can someone who has gone through this tell me what you have to go to get the upgrade activated?

• 1. Re: Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Enter the serial number that comes with the upgrade. BTW, you can opt to leave CS5 installed, or deactivate it and remove it before installing CS5.5 Your choice.

• 2. Re: Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility

Thank you Harm,

I do realise that when asked I shall have to provide the serial number for the CS5.5 upgrade!

My question remains - what then?

The CS5.5 upgrade from CS5 will want a valid serial number for CS5, but the one I have is also for an upgrade version.

What I am asking is for someone who has carried out this upgrade to tell me if there are problems.  I do not want to spend several hours on a phone call to India, desperately trying to find a form of words that fits the "support" person's script.

I know that different versions of Premiere can co-exist, but it does seem to be a potential cause of problem to me.

• 3. Re: Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I know that different versions of Premiere can co-exist, but it does seem to be a potential cause of problem to me.

Leaving CS5 installed when installing CS5.5 is entirely normal. It's what the majority do, including almost all Adobe personnel. (I have CS3, CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 on the same machine in some cases.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility

Thanks for that, Todd.

I will go down that route.  I assume that when the CS5.5 installer finds that the provided serial number is for an upgrade version, it will see that there is an activated qualifying version (CS5) present and accept that?

I recall that Encore CS2 upgrade would only install if the earlier qualifying version was actually installed on the system, whereas Premiere CS2 asked for a qualifying serial number from an earlier version and would install without that version actually being installed.

To go back to my original query - is it not possible for Adobe to produce a formal statement of how this new system of two levels of upgrade works?

• 5. Re: Two Tier Upgrade Eligibility
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  I assume that when the CS5.5 installer finds that the provided serial number is for an upgrade version, it will see that there is an activated qualifying version (CS5) present and accept that?

Upgrade installers don't work like that. It has nothing to do with what software is on the computer already. You enter the serial number for your previous, qualifying version; that's how you indicate that you have such previous, qualifying software.

> To go back to my original query - is it not possible for Adobe to produce a formal statement of how this new system of two levels of upgrade works?

If you have a request about upgrades, contact Adobe Customer Service and convey that request to them:
                  http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

The folks here on the forum can answer technical questions, but we're not the ones who would be writing such formal statements about upgrade policies.