5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2013 3:12 PM by Saber Chebka

Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox

RandomReado Level 1

I want to disable the auto-completing of text entered into a ComboBox, but still have it match the text against items in the DropDownList. Is there any easy way to do this?

• 1. Re: Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox
          JeffryHouser Level 4

I think you'll have to extend the component to make this work.  I don't believe there is a property to control this behavior.

• 2. Re: Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox
            nvhdab Level 1

Those "functionalities" are implemented by the private function processInputField() and the mx_internal function applySelection()

of the ComboBox component. They are either private of mx_internal so you can't override them. I created a new AS class that extends extends DropDownListBase and implements IIMESupport, just like the Spark ComboBox and tweaked the functions, for example I commented this lines:

// textInput.selectAll();

// textInput.insertText(itemString);

Hope that helps!!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox
              Saber Chebka

Simply create you new combobox class and override the findStringLoop function, it should always return -1 to prohibit the fincding of matching items (for autocomplete reasons).

Code is the following:

/**

* Disabel the autocomplete option on Spark Combobox

**/

mx_internal override function findStringLoop(str:String, startIndex:int, stopIndex:int):Number

{

return -1;

}

• 4. Re: Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox
                the_brownfoot

The easiest solution for me was to use the existing itemMatchingFunction attribute on ComboBox and create a function like the one below retuning an empty Vector array:

protected function comboDisableMatchingFunction(comboBox:ComboBox, inputText:String):Vector.<int>

{

return new Vector.<int>();

}

• 5. Re: Disabling auto-complete on Spark ComboBox
                  Saber Chebka Level 1

@the_brownfoot

That is the same solution as overriding findStringLoop() method. Hopefully Flex is open source so we can invent workarounds easily