4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 11:58 AM by dancinggrizzly

"Curves" effect Issue

dancinggrizzly

I had an image sequence (1920x1080 dpx's) that I needed to apply a simple color change to, just to give it a little more saturation.  I decided to use the "curves" effect to see if I could get what I wanted.  Happily, I got exactly the effect I wanted with a few slight manipulations of the curve.

I rendered out a 16bit tiff sequence in order to create a container file for my in-house viewing system.  (This is the required file format for the program I am using).  The problem I encounter is this:  While the color I am trying to achieve is correct in After Effects, and checking the render on my local station shows the same correct color, after rendering these files through another program, the container file comes out completely over-saturated and dark as heck.

I've tried using other effects in AE to perform this render, and none have reproduced the same problem in the container file.  It seems as though using the "curves" effect is actually applying an undesired color profile to the sequence I am outputting.  Can anyone provide any insight to correcting this issue?

• 1. Re: "Curves" effect Issue
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I had an image sequence (1920x1080 dpx's)...   I rendered out a 16bit tiff sequence in order to create a container file for my in-house viewing system.  (This is the required file format for the program I am using) ...rendering these files through another program, the container file comes out completely over-saturated and dark as heck.

I've tried using other effects in AE to perform this render, and none have reproduced the same problem in the container file.  It seems as though using the "curves" effect is actually applying an undesired color profile to the sequence I am outputting.  Can anyone provide any insight to correcting this issue?

Without additional information, it would be difficult.  For example, which program did you use to re-render the tiff sequence from AE?  What codec did you render the tiff sequence to?  After rendering, how are you viewing it?  What are the viewing devices involved?

• 2. Re: "Curves" effect Issue
            dancinggrizzly Level 1

I'm working on getting the rest of the specs, but I can tell you this:

The program I used to render a container file is called "QuClips," and it creates a QuVis or .qcc file to view on a QuDac system.

• 3. Re: "Curves" effect Issue
              dancinggrizzly Level 1

So, the viewing set-up is a QuVis cinema player and an NEC Display solutions NC800C DLP cinema Projector.

• 4. Re: "Curves" effect Issue
                dancinggrizzly Level 1

Even if you (or anyone else for that matter) could explain a little bit more about the manipulations happening when using the "curves" effect.  That would be very helpful.  I've found little useful information online to specifically explain that effect.