14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 8:18 PM by Veronica Scrimshaw

Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

Veronica Scrimshaw

Hi... I'm using Elements 9.0 on a Windows XP system. When I export my project as a video, the audio is not exporting. I have tried to Share for replay on a computer in FLV and MPG4 - the video looks great, but there is no sound. I also tried to Share for online replay via YouTube. Same issue.

The audio plays beautifully in the native files (MP4) and also in the project. I checked the Advanced share tab, and the export audio option is checked ON. I can't seem to find anything in the help files on this issue. Pulling my hair out on this one!

• 1. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Veronica,

If one has checked both Export Audio and Export Video, and there is no sound in the resultant file, it is usually just a setting under the Multiplexing Tab from the Share/Export settings screen. This is often missed. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

If one has Multiplexing set to None, then they actually get two separate files - one for the Video stream and the other for the Audio stream.

Note: the two options are usually None and DVD, though the latter can differ by the Export file format. Whatever, one would choose the other, instead of None.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
            Veronica Scrimshaw Level 1

Thanks, Bill. Multiplexing defaults are as follows:

For FLV - default setting is FLV; the other option is F4V. The selected codec is On2 VP6.

For MPG4 - default setting is DVD; the other option is None. The selected codec is Main Concept MPEG Video.

For output to YouTube, there is no advanced option so I can't see any of the audio/video/multiplex settings.

Feels like it must be something I am missing, but I don't know what.

I don't know anything about codecs - perhaps I need to select something different?

• 3. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Veronica,

Judging by your Export/Share formats, those CODEC's should be working fine for you.

Can you tell us the format of the Audio, and if it's muxed Audio, Imported with Video, what that Audio is?

Hearing the Audio fine in PrE rules out a lot of possibilities, and having both Audio & Video checked in the Export settings dialog box, rules out another.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

Good morning!

These are videos (with audio) that were captured on a Flip Ultra HD video camera, then saved to hard drive.The specs are: H.264 video compression, AAC audio compression, saves as MP4 file.

I dragged the video clips into the project timeline via the clip organizer.

I am new to PrE ... formerly used Windows Movie Maker. It occurred to me last night that with WMM I used to do File>Import to bring clips into a project instead of using the drag/drop feature - got better audio controls if I did that.

Perhaps I should be doing the same with PrE?

Still feels like I am missing something simple and obvious! Appreciate your help!

• 5. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Veronica,

With that AAC Audio, let's do a test, when you have a moment.

Use an audio-editor, like the great, free Audacity, to rip the Audio from one of the longer Clips. This is a simple action, of just chosing Open in Audacity, and it will extract the Audio from the MP4 file. That's all you need to do. Then, just do a Save, and choose PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) @ 48KHz 16-bit. Import that WAV into a the Project, and place that WAV on a free Audio Track. Here, I would go to Window>Audio Mixer, and Mute any other Audio Tracks. Do a test Export/Share to one of the formats, that is not working for you. Choose Export Audio and Export Video, w/ Multiplexing to anything but None, if there is a Multiplexing Tab in that format.

How does that work?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

Hi, Bill ... finally had a chance to run the test with Audacity as described below. Still no dice on the audio export. I exported to FLV, no audio at all. When I tried to listen to the audio in the PRE project, all I can hear is high-pitched squeaking & sqwaking. Output to YouTube completely failed.

Veronica

Veronica Scrimshaw

Director of Corporate Communications

NPA, The Worldwide Recruiting Network

1680 Viewpond Drive SE

Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508 USA

+1 616 455-6776 ext. 17 direct

+1 616 455-6555 main

+1 616 455-8255 fax

vscrimshaw@npaworldwide.com

www.npaworldwide.com

Visit our blog!

NPA, The Worldwide Recruiting Network is your connection to premier independent recruiting firms on six continents.

• 7. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Veroinica,

Stepping back up a bit, when you used Audacity to rip that Audio from the Flip files, did it play properly there?

Good luck, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

No, the audio is not playing correctly in Audacity or in Windows Media Player. Steps I followed:

• Open Audacity

• File>Open - select video clip

• Export as *.wav (no options for compression, KHz or bit).

Cannot play that *.wav file

Veronica Scrimshaw

Director of Corporate Communications

NPA, The Worldwide Recruiting Network

1680 Viewpond Drive SE

Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508 USA

+1 616 455-6776 ext. 17 direct

+1 616 455-6555 main

+1 616 455-8255 fax

vscrimshaw@npaworldwide.com

www.npaworldwide.com

Visit our blog!

NPA, The Worldwide Recruiting Network is your connection to premier independent recruiting firms on six continents.

• 9. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if the file is not playing, when you have ripped it in Audacity, that pretty much moves the problem out of PrE, and puts it onto the Audio Stream in the files that the camera produces. Audacity, while free, small and simple, is very good at handling all sorts of odd Audio. If it cannot rip the Audio Stream, then something is likely wrong with that Audio Stream.

I'll go back up thread, and see if the full specs. of the file are listed, and especially the Audio Stream. Will be right back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it appears that the Flip is producing AAC (Advanced Audio CODEC) files, and Audacity should have no issues with ripping that Audio Stream.

Upon re-reading, I noticed that you mentioned doing a Drag and Drop for the files. I would strongly recommend that you use Get Media, and that your Project's Preset be to the Flip Camera. Try the Get Media, and let us know if things improve.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

Bill:

Still no luck. Here is the latest recap.

I connected the Flip to my computer, then selected Get Media>from Flip to transfer the videos. Noticed that the default preset was for NTSC, so I changed it to Flip Ultra HD 30.

Created a new project and inserted a single clip into the new project.

Then went to Share>Output to YouTube.

Went to our YouTube channel, and the audio is still no good. This time the audio consists of just a loud buzzing noise (which is only slightly better than the deafening gerbil noises from yesterday ).

Veronica

• 12. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Veronica,

I am at a total loss to even imagine what might be happening here.

To recap:

• The files play fine w/ both Audio & Video in the camera, in players and on the PrE Timeline
                                • The Export Audio & Export Video are both checked and Multiplexing is set to DVD (note: FLV is multiplexed by default)
                                • You have tried an Export/Share to MPEG and also to FLV, with the same result - no Audio, or bad Audio
                                • You have tried direct upload to YouTube, and encounter the same result - no Audio, or bad Audio (different bad Audio, but still bad Audio)

Is that correct?

1. As a test, check your Timeline playback, just to make sure that the Audio is still functioning properly.
                                2. Adjust the WAB (Work Area Bar) to cover just a bit of your Timeline, say 2 mins.. Hit the Enter key, to Render that area of the Timeline only.
                                3. Go to Share and choose Computer, then AVI, and either the NTSC, or PAL (depending on where you live) DV w/ PCM/WAV Audio @48KHz 16-bit.
                                4. In the Video Tab of the Advanced/Settings area, and uncheck Recompress.
                                5. Choose Export Work Area.
                                6. Test that file in a couple of different players, like Windows Media Player, and QT Player.
                                7. Post the results of that little test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

Hi, Bill.

Got back to this @$)(&%)_! project today. Per your previous message recap:

* Yes, files play fine w/both audio & video in camera, in players and on the PrE timeline.

* Export is set for both audio & video, multiplexing is set to DVD

* Export/share as MPG, FLV results in video only, no audio (or unacceptable audio)

* Share from PrE to YouTube encounters the same - video only, no audio. However, as a new test today, I also uploaded one directly from the camera to YouTube and it's great - audio & visual both functioning appropriately.

Next up, I tried to bring one of the videos in to Windows Movie Maker (which we used to use). WMM does not support MP4 file formats. Did some research, found multiple recommendations for a plug-in called FormatFactory, which converts MP4 to other formats and also apparently repairs damaged audio and visual. I have downloaded and installed that, but haven't done any testing yet.

As for your recommended test, when I adjust the WAB and press Enter, I get a scratch disk error and can't move on to the next step. See attached screen shot.PrE-scratch-disk-error.gif

Thanks for hanging with me. I can't believe how frustrating this is.

• 14. Re: Can't export the audio WITH the video in PrElements9

I have good news!!!! I have audio!!

After doing some more research, I happened to stumble upon another post of yours related to scratch disk location errors. I've been getting those errors too and hadn't paid much attention to them. In your post, you noted that Adobe doesn't "play well" across a network - so I checked my scratch disk settings and sure enough, the scratch drive was defaulting to a network drive, not my local hard drive. Once I changed all the scratch locations back to the local drive, I tried another video export ... and voila! I have a FLV with crystal-clear audio. I never would have thought the 2 things were related.

Thank you so much for all of your help with this issue!

Veronica