7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 6:52 AM by Harm Millaard

Completely new to editing - Build & component questions

nofxspam02 Level 1

I've never shot my own video or edited my own stuff before. I'm not quite sure what is needed and what is not needed as far as requirements to be successful with Adobe Premiere and editing.  So here it goes:

Computer Build -

MB - ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7970

GFX - EVGA  012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit  GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

PS -CORSAIR  Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI  Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified  Active

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Burner - ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM

Windows 7 Pro 64

Memory - Kingston HyperX 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX 1.65v

or CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 - Timing 9-9-9-24 1.5V

(Any Preference?)

Boot Drive - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

or - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(Any Preference?)

Storage Drive - (2) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 - Raid 0

Monitors - (2) Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI  LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

or (2) ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED Black 21.5" 5ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD monitor  Slim Design w/Speakers

(Any Preference?)

Ok now to stuff I don't really understand... I was considering buying a camera - if I did it might be either Sony HVR-Z7U or Sony HVR-Z5U.  I would like to shoot broadcast ready material (commercials, ect.)  Anyone have a recommendation of one or the other or another brand of camera they prefer?

Any Finally... I don't quite understand capture card.  Is this necessary?  Can I just capture video through a firewire port or does the capture card preform other tasks as well that are necessary?  I was looking at the Matrox MX02 Mini Max or Matrox Axio Le HD.  Are there cheaper capture cards that perform well?  Do I even need a capture card and if so what do you recommend?

So to conclude - Thoughts on Computer build - Am I missing anything that I need to consider?  Are there areas where I should possibly downgrade to save money?  Which memory would you choose if it was you?  Which Boot Drive would you choose if it was you?  Which monitors would you choose if it was you?  Will the 2 storage devices set up in Raid 0 would good enough and will the onboard raid controller on mb be fine or do I need to purchase a raid controller?  Do you have any recommendations for cameras that are capable of performing broadcast ready video in hd?  And lastly do I need a capture card at all and if so which one would you recommend.  Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A capture card is used to digitize an ANALOG source, such as from a VCR... I have an old (but still working, for Standard Definition) Pinnacle Dv500 card, and a few VHS tapes that I convert when I have a few hours free

You do not need a capture card if your source is not analog

A mini-dv tape camera, or an hdv tape camera, capture via Firewire cable

A camera that uses a memory card (or hard drive or direct to mini-dvd) is already digital, so you just use Windows Explorer to copy from camera to hard drive and then import into Premiere Pro

Such as I do with a Canon Vixia http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
            nofxspam02 Level 1

Ok - the more I go through the forum and read up on hardware the more it has me thinking.  I would be using premiere pro and after effects mostly for videos 15 to 30 seconds hd.  But could go up to 6-8 minute short videos.  Outputing probably as H.264 or MPEG-2.  So I'm trying to think of how to set up my Drives to perform the best... I have most of my parts pick out and almost ready to order to get this thing started...

C:Operating System/Programs

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500BLHX 450GB 10000 RPM 32MB - $250

or OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB - $250.

(Both cost same amount so price isn't really factoring into the decision.  I just want the one that is going to perform the best - which one would work better for Premiere?)

D: Pagefiles / Scratch

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500BLHX 450GB 10000 RPM 32MB - $250

or Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - $89

E: Projects, Media Files

(4)Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache in RAID 10

or RAID 5?  If I do RAID 5 do I need to buy a controller?

Would this setup be good or should I do something else?

The motherboard would be ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA - $220

unless someone thinks other boards work better.

• 3. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't do raid... but back at the Hardware forum main page look just above the message list for a drop down window with a list of hardware FAQ's... there is a FAQ on raid... plus several other FAQ's you should read

Also go to PPro FAQ List http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/faq_list

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
                nofxspam02 Level 1

Thanks for the links.  I've read most of those articles over the last few days.  The one thing I keep seeing people say is the disk settings really depend on what you will be using it on so I was hoping someone could help me with the Disks that I'm looking at for what I'm doing.  Thanks for your input.  If anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

• 5. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I would go for a Samsung 320 GB F4 for OS & programs, around € 32.

Then, with your short videos, use two of these in raid0 for pagefile, media cache and previews. So add another € 64 to your budget.

Then add 4 or more Hitachi 7K3000 series disks in raid10 on the motherboard. For raid5 you really need a dedicated hardware controller.

• 6. Re: Completely new to editing - Build & component questions
                    nofxspam02 Level 1

Can I just ask one follow up if you don't mind regarding the setup?

I'm using the ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

2 x SATA 6Gb/s

6 x SATA 3Gb/s

For the setup up I'm assuming the Samsung 320 GB SATA2 7200rpm 16 MB Hard Drive HD322GJ for the O/S and Programs would go on the SATA 6GB/s drive.

The 2 Samsung 320 GB SATA2 7200rpm 16 MB Hard Drive HD322GJ drives for Raid0 for Pagefile, media cache and previews would go on 2 of the SATA 3Gb/s

and the 4 Hitachi 7K3000 drives for Raid10 would go on the remaining 4 SATA 3Gb/s ?