4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 2:04 PM by aganess

InDesign and Scrivener

aganess Level 1

How well does InD work with Scrivener?

InD is CS5 and Scrivener is 2.1, on  Macs, MBP and iMac.

I am thinking of getting Scrivener to organize my (non-linear) thinking into stories and include artwork, then exporting the whole thing to InD for publication, pdf.

Is this a good idea, does anyone know?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign and Scrivener
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ID doesn't work with Scrivener, but it does import quite a few of the formats you can save from Scrivener.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign and Scrivener
            aganess Level 1

OOOH! What sort of files does Scrivener export to InD?

I was in despair that my question was un-answerable, so thanks for answering this.  Scrivener seems so helpful in organizing - but like the tutorial says:

" It is primarily intended to be a first draft tool - although it is possible to complete a project that requires only basic formatting - such as a novel or short story - in Scrivener, often you will want to take your draft to a dedicated word processor or layout program for final formatting."

As such, do you think it is a good fit with InD, or should I look elsewhere?

• 3. Re: InDesign and Scrivener
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks to me like Scrivener can save as several flavors of Word, as RTF or as Plain Text, all of which can be placed in ID.

• 4. Re: InDesign and Scrivener
                aganess Level 1

There we go, that is the answer I have been looking for for a number of days - thank you. You are a gold mine of good information.

I will try the Scrivener 30-day trial and report back - if it is fairly intuitive for a non-linear thinker, it may be a boon to a lot of writers, thinkers and word-smiths out there.

Thanks for a great forum. It is where I have learned to visit for the best solutions.