13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 9:45 AM by the_wine_snob

"scratch disk write protected or unavailable"

irislake Level 1

Am a brand new Pre user ( one day) and have just downloaded first DV tape (family stuff) to Pre successfully on laptop. Copied file to DVD to transfer to another laptop but now have problems opening DVD on both computers. These are DVD R minus disks. I can see the file listed when I click on the DVD drive but when I double click to open I get the error message "the scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project the scratch disk will be set to your My Docs folder. Would you like to continue?" I click yes, it says it is "loading project" and it opens Pre but I see nothing. I also can't find the My Docs folder. Shouldn't I at least be able to play this DVD on my laptop, if not edit it?

• 1. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In what format did you copy the video to a DVD disc?

Did you create DVD files using Share/To Disc?

Or are these the original DV-AVIs you captured with Premiere Elements from your camcorder?

What's your purpose in moving the files from one computer to another? Depending on what you plan to do with the files on your second computer, there may be a more efficient way to do this.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Steve, that there is very likely a better workflow, but that will depend on what you need to do.

Now, did you Copy the PREL (Project) to the DVD, or did you Copy the DV-AVI files? There is a major, and important difference there.

It sounds like you might have Copied the PREL file, and in your Edit>Preferences, have your Scratch Disks set to Same As Project (the default), and if so, then the program is trying to set those to the DVD, which it will see as "Write Protected."

With a bit more info, we can help you get just what you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
              irislake Level 1

These are the original DV avi files copied from camcorder to my HP laptop using Premiere Elements. I tried to recreate my process to answer your question about format I saved to DVD but couldn't recreate process - can't get the Premiere screen to open now, just the elements organizer. However, the DVD is showing as a "Project". The purpose of trying to transfer to second laptop is that these are all my brother's DV and HDV tapes from the last 7Sin  years of family and he wants to eventually get them to his backup external drive and have a set of DVDs for the safe deposit box. Unfortuanately, we have tried another program to do this (Pinnacle with Dazzle was a disaster) and between Best Buy, Staples, research on line, etc. I most recently chose Adobe Premiere Elements ( I have photoshop already). The problem is in the transfer from camcorder to laptop. I have a firewire port on my HP dv7 which allows four point to four point connection with camcorder. He does not have any firewire ports on his laptop even though it is only 8 months old. So, I am trying to help him by downloading Camcorder to my laptop, then transferring to his somehow. I thought I could create a DVD then transfer. Since I don't know the format I transferred, I checked what is on my laptop now. I see three files for the same video: one in .PRV. one in .prel and one listed under stop motion capture with no file extension. Maybe I skipped a step or two or three????

• 4. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                irislake Level 1

Bill, see my reply above. Maybe it is the PREL file issue. How do I get the download to be an .avi file??

• 5. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Did you attach the camcorder to your computer with a FireWire (not a USB) cable and then use Get Media/From DV Camcorder to capture the video?

If so, the results will be .avi files. (Don't forget to move these files OFF THE DVD and onto your computer before you try to edit them!)

If not, tell us more specifically what you did.

(A .prel file is a Premiere Elements project file, by the way. It's NOT a video file.)

• 6. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

We probably need to step back a bit. The PREL file is but an XML database, and contains no media files.This ARTICLE will give you more background.

Also, when one does a Capture from miniDV tape through FireWire in PrE, if the user is no a PC, the media files will be DV-AVI with an AVI file extension. These will be located where the user chose with Captures in the Scratch Disks Preferences.

All media files, either Captured, or Imported into a Project, must be available, for the PREL file to function properly in PrE.

I migrate Projects between computers, and use external, NTSF formatted HDD's. Those work fine. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                      irislake Level 1

Steve,

I did attach camcorder to laptop via firewire and clicked Get Media and then get files from DV camcorder. I assumed I would be importing avi files but not sure where to find them on my laptop now. \

Chris

-

Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Did you attach the camcorder to your computer with a FireWire (not a USB) cable and then use Get Media/From DV Camcorder to capture the video?

If so, the results will be .avi files.

If not, tell us more specifically what you did.

>

• 8. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The exact location for the Capture files will be the one set in Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks>Capture.

If "Same As Project," then navigate to that location, and look for a Capture folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                          irislake Level 1

Bill, Making progress in my understanding and will try again from scratch to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. Did find the capture menu per your instructions and changed everything to match what the Help menu topic on scratch disks (i.e. separate locations inside a master folder for video preview, audio preview, media cache, etc. Will also try transferring via external hard drive.

One last related question - my brother is still frustrated that he cannont transfer from camcorder to his PC (an ASUS that best buy sold him specifically to facilitate this tape to PC transfe (along with the Pinnacle Dazzle software and hardware that was so buggy that three Ivy league grads could not keep it from continually crashing). Now that I bought Premiere, and he has no firewire port, he's back to square one when I return to Arizona with my firewire port laptop.

I've been to every electronics megastore, university store (Cornell), mom and pop repair shop, etc. here in Ithaca, NY trying to piece this whole process together (software, hardware, storage media, etc. etc.) which was how I ended up with Premiere Elements. The only thing I haven't tried that a fellow customer recommended was to buy a Mac..... Is it really this complicated with a PC or just not "novice" friendly?

I suppose this should be a separate "thread" of the conversation and may not be appropriate for an Adobe product oriented thread but was just curious.

Chris

-

Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

The exact location for the Capture files will be the one set in Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks>Capture.

If "Same As Project," then navigate to that location, and look for a Capture folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 10. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

For the analog to digital capture (note lower-case "c" here, as it is not really Capture, by PrE/PrPro terms) question, here are some thoughts:

1. This ARTICLE has some tips, and I can strongly recommend the Canopus/GrassValley ADVC-110. Then, with this, or a similar unit, one WILL be doing Capture, via FireWire in PrE.
                            2. Going back to a point, when Dazzle and Pinnacle were sold together, I knew of few, who could ever get the Dazzle to work. The Pinnacle Studio forums were full of complaints, and many tried very hard to help. It just flat seldome worked.

Sorry for the bad news, but that was what I witnessed, when I used Pinnacle and then AVID, and while I never had a Dazzle, I read of others' issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                              irislake Level 1

Sorry I'm just getting around to telling you the problem was solved.

• 12. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                                irislake Level 1

Somewhere along the way following your and Hunt's direction, the problem was solved. I think it was in one of the articles.... thx  PS is there a way to give both of you credit for answering the question???

• 13. Re: "scratch disk write protected or unavailable"
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news, and thank you for taking the time to update the thread. That will be helpful to others, who might have the same issue.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt