4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 1:18 PM by scottncg

AE crashes when I RAM preview, gives this message

scottncg

Has anyone ever seen this type of error message? If so, how do I fix it?

AE_error.jpg

I'm running CS5 on a mac. Thanks.

Update: I made another file with a solid moving from one corner to the next and it RAM previewed without error. Figured I'd throw that out there.

• 1. Re: AE crashes when I RAM preview, gives this message
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you.

What exact version of After Effects? Have you installed the recent updates ( http://adobe.ly/lsrkmJ )? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you rendering with OpenGL? Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 2. Re: AE crashes when I RAM preview, gives this message
            scottncg Level 1

Oh wow, ok here we go.

Running Version 10.0.2.4 on a dual booted Mac (using the Mac side)

OS - OS X v 10.6.8

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon - 16 GB RAM 1066 MHz DDR3

The file wouldn't even open when I switched to the PC side which has vista I think, but I'm not positive.

Had Photoshop CS5 open, have 3rd party plugins and codecs installed but aside from Particular 2 I'm not using any in the area I'm trying to preview.

Not using multi processing or render multiple frames. Using a 2048 X 1152 size (this was comped then scaled down to 1920 x 1080) quicktime at 23.976 for just under 36 seconds with an Animation codec.

Was ram previewing the area I wanted, earlier in the day. It all of a sudden just started crashing when I tried previewing at all in this file. Went back to the last version I saved last night and it ram previewed fine.

I checked for updates in Help - Updates and it said it was completely updated.

Sorry about not including this earlier.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: AE crashes when I RAM preview, gives this message
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

So it's working fine now?

If you get it back into a bad state, please file a bug report. You can't attach a file to a bug report, but the person who reads the report may respond to you with an email address and a request for the project that is showing the crash.

• 4. Re: AE crashes when I RAM preview, gives this message
                scottncg Level 1

Wow, actually. Yeah it is working fine now. I don't even know what magic you just did but it worked.

Thanks.