10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 3:10 PM by ECBowen

eSATA for editing?

ptl-2010 Level 1

My computer:

HPE 180t

core i7 930@2.8ghz

9gb ram

1tb HDD

What I do: I shoot footage on a 60d in 1080p 30fps, and create 1 minute commercials on PP cs5 and I use dynamic link to add motion graphics through AE.

Right now I run everything on 1 HDD, i've got a backup drive on an eSATA port. I've got about 270 gigs left and have finished about 65 projects, I think I can fit around 100 on a drive including the OS and other files which ends up being about 1 years worth of projects.

I really want my OS and software to be on it's own drive, and all of my project files on another. I've got another SATA port left in my case but I was wondering if eSATA would work just as well, because it would be much easier to change drives once one is full. I would just take the full drive out and store it and put in the new one for the next 100 or so projects.

• 1. Re: eSATA for editing?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes you can run an E-Sata workflow with that material. Keep in mind though as you fill the drive capacity above 50%, the performance drops. Once the drive it above 75% capacity is slows by more than 40 to 50%. I would not edit to much on a E-Sata drive over 60% or so.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: eSATA for editing?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The more drives, the better. A single disk is below minimum requirements.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: eSATA for editing?
              ptl-2010 Level 1

Thanks everyone for the response

Does that performance loss apply to all HDDs? I don't think it'll be too much of a problem as large HDD's seem to be pretty inexpensive now adays.

Also, since we're talking about drives, any recomendations on what to get? I want to put a better drive in the tower, which doesn't need to be huge as would only  have adobe CS5 master collection, windows, office 2007, and a few misc programs and pictures. I just want something that's got a good data transfer rate but isn't too much. the external I would like to run a 1tb, I'm not too sure about these 1.5 and 2tb drives yet, I've had good luck with 1tb's.

• 4. Re: eSATA for editing?

The performance applies to all mechanical drives. Not to SSD drives.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: eSATA for editing?
                  ptl-2010 Level 1

ok, thanks

• 6. Re: eSATA for editing?
                    ptl-2010 Level 1

So I've got my drive, a 1tb WD caviar blue drive, in a eSATAII compliant case, and i'm getting 15mb/s transfer rates... Why?

• 7. Re: eSATA for editing?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Because it is a blue version, probably.

• 8. Re: eSATA for editing?

Go into device manager and expand the drives category. Double click on the drive and select the policy tab. Make sure you have Enable write caching checked. Also make sure you have an up to date driver for your E-Sata controller.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: eSATA for editing?
                          ptl-2010 Level 1

Ok, got the cache thing taken care of. Helped initially. My 2 ports on the back start fine, then slowly drop to about 15mb/s. I used a SATA to eSATA adapter on my 2nd SATA port, and it's doing a bit better, around 100mb/s, but then it will drop to around 54 mb/s. I think that's because I'm copying about 412 gigs of stuff to it and there might be some tiny render files or something that's slowing things down. I'm still confused as to why my eSATA ports are so slow? Where can i find drivers for them? I have no idea how to find out the brand/ect of the board.

• 10. Re: eSATA for editing?

You should be able to find out from HP's website or the controller card website if it's 3rd party. If it's dropping like that then it is definitely related to firmware/driver.

Eric

ADK