0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 8:04 PM by garyvot

Cannot read or extract NEFs from some DNG files

garyvot

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help.

I've got a subset of DNG files from an older shoot that have somehow become undreadable.  There are 119 bad files out of 1436 total images from the shoot. All of the bad files are in a consecutively numbered range (e.g., they are not randomly distributed).

I'm on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. The bad files do not open in Bridge, Photoshop, CaptureOne, etc., nor will the images thumbnail in Windows Explorer using either the Adobe or Ardfry DNG codecs. I have no idea when or how the corruption occurred, whether is came about from use of a software program, or had something to do with a bad file copy operation. But my current backups are also corrupted.

However, I always embed the original NEFs or CR2s in my DNGs, and so I was hoping to extract the originals.  However, the DNG Converter refuses to operate on these files, though they appear to be of the right size.

Does anyone know of a way to salvage the original RAW NEFs from these damaged files?  Is anyone at Adobe looking for a little science project?  :-)  I would be grateful for any suggestions...

Thanks very much,

Gary