14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 1:58 AM by Alan Craven-Y3Asuo

HDV Capturing Problem.

Wodinaz1 Level 1

Hey,

I'll start real quick by getting to the point and stateing my problem.

When captureing HDV 1080i tape footage, it just stops randomly

after about 4-8 clips. Different each time. Heh.

Now I'll give you some information on my equipment, ect...

Computer

Windows 7

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00HGz (2CPUs), ~2.0GHz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Software

Adobe Premeire Pro CS5

Hardware

Sony GV-HD700 Digital HD Videocassette Recorder

Boss usually gives me just regular DV footage to work with.

This time he's given me an HDV 1080i wedding.

1. I set up my project...

2. Set Capture Footage to HDV.
      3. Set my Scratch Disk.

4. Set Sequence Presets to HDV 1080i30 (60i)

5. Set my Tape Recorder to HDV (instead of DV that I usually work in.)

6. Here's a picture of my capture screen letting me control it,

but not letting me Record.

problem1.jpg

7. Click Settings and switch over the DV and capture it, just to see if it works. It
          does but its only in 720. So basiclly didnt work. Derp.
      8. Look around some more and find somone saying to go to the Tape Recorder,

and change the i.LNK CONV to OFF. I do that. Also set my capture device

to Sony, Standard, because a guy said it worked for him with the same Tape

Recorder I have. Also because GV-HD700 isn't even available.

problem4.jpg

9. Open Capture again and Record button shows up. Yay right? No. I hit record

and it dosent really capture anything... Dunno why. It plays the tape on the

recorder but dosen't capture. Here's a picture...
      problem2.jpg

10. So then I I'm like, what does this Tape Button do?
      11. Make sure I have Scene Detect ON. Then I click TAPE.

12. Then it starts captureing footage! Yay right? Heres a picture..
      problem3.jpg

13. Everythings going great. I can't see the footage on my screen, but that doesn't

seem to be a big deal. The footage is playing and I can see clips captureing.

Then it just Stops. Just Stops captureing. The tape keeps playing. But no more

captureing. What is the problem here? I'm out of ideas and I don't know what to

do anymore.

Hope someone can help me out.

• 1. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The T6400 is a typical laptop CPU. Do you have two 7200 RPM SATA disks, one for the OS & programs and the other one for capturing? How many processes are running when you start capturing. Use Process Explorer to find that out. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

If more than 40 - 50, start by killing unneeded processes, especially on such a slow system.

• 2. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Do you have at least two hard drives?

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
            1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
            2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
            3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files
            Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
            http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
            Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
            You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
            I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
            Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
            Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
            A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
            http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 3. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

...or is there the slim change that there are timecode breaks in the source material?  This would typically happen if the material has been reviewed in-camera, but a slight gap has been left between the shot just previewed and the incoming shot.

• 4. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                Wodinaz1 Level 1

@ Harm Milaard

Yes. I work on a laptop. I know that sounds insane but it's all I have. :/ I've always managed with regular DV footage and I even have a Canon 60D that shoots 1080i30 and 720p60 on SD Cards, and I still manage to edit that fine.

"Do you have two 7200 RPM SATA disks, one for the OS & programs and the other one for capturing?"

I don't really know how to awnser this question. I'm sorry. But I think it's safe for you to assume that my awnser is No. Could you tell me how to do whatever it is your saying? Will that fix my problem?

"How many processes are running when you start capturing."

If you mean, how many programs am I running in the background? Absolutely nothing but Adobe Premiere and stuff that looks like I shouldn't mess with it. lol. Remember the tape is still playing in my Tape Reader. Heres a screen shot...

problem 6.jpg

@ John T Smith

I will defintely give your program a shot. Thank you. Also, thank you for the analogy. I understood most of it.

I have a couple external Hardrives and I've tried setting my Scratch Disks to them but it seemed to do the same thing. Just stops after a couple clips.

If you could explain to me in detail how to export seperate "things" to other hard drives then that would be very appreciated. Sorry again for my ignorance.

@ J-MS

No, these tapes do not have any timecode breaks in them. It's funny you mention that though beacuse I've had that problem with my boss before. He has 1 camera with a broken Timecode in it so it dosent seperate the clips. And no there are no gaps between the shots. He's anal about his shots anyways.

Also, It stops randomly everytime. Sometimes I'll get 4 clips. Somtimes I'll get up to 8 before it just stops. As you can see from my screenshot above, I got to 7 this time. :/

I read somewhere degragging my system may help. Ofcourse I should do that once in a while and I will do that soon actually. But I just want to know EXACTLY how to fix this problem...

Or is my system too bad to capture HDV Footage on? What a weird problem. -.-;

• 5. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                  Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

Does your laptop have an eSATA port?  If so you editing experience would be improved by adding a separate hard drive for your media and connecting it in an external box via this eSATA port.  This works very well for me with HDV footage on a laptop not too much different to yours.

A second possibility if you have no eSATA port is to use an eSATA adaptor in an Expressport.  I have never tried this, so cannot advise on how effective this would be.

Also you must make the changes in the settings of you recorder from DV to HDV BEFORE you connect it to your computer. turn on the recorder and start Premiere.  It will not work if you make the cahnges with the recorder connected and turned on.

Are your 1394 drivers changed over to "Legacy"?  This is usually essential to capture via firewire with Windows 7.

• 6. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                    Wodinaz1 Level 1

@ Alan Craven

"Does your laptop have an eSATA port?"

I have a HP Pavilion Dv7 1262us. Yes I have an eSATA Port. I actually have an external harddrive that IS eSATA pluged in. I tried makeing the my Scratch Disk and It did the same thing. except it only got to about 2 or 3 clips before Stopping again.

"must make the changes in the settings of you recorder from DV to HDV BEFORE you connect it to your computer."

Yes. I also did this. I've restarted, unplugged, reset the settings, plugged it in, and yaddayadda back and forth. Still nothing.

Are your 1394 drivers changed over to "Legacy"?

THIS on the other hand I don't think I've tried. I don't know anything about this either. I'll look up how to do this and get back to you. I'll also change my scratch disks back to me eSATA External Harddrive and restart everything and unplug everything and restart all the setting and yaddayadda.

Then I'll get back to you and see how it works. Thanks.

Also, Heres some pictures of my battle station to give you an idea of how poor I am and what I'm working with. haha.

battlestation.jpg

ports.jpg

In this picture you can see my eSATA External Hardrive, my USB External Hardrive and my firewire cord coming from my Tape Reader.

• 7. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                      Wodinaz1 Level 1

Here is me changeing my 1394 Port to Legacy...

problem7.jpg

problem8.jpg

And still no luck. I restarted the computer. Replugged everything in and whatnot. Just to be on the safe side. Set my scratch disks to me eSATA External Harddrive and got the same exact results. It logged 8 clips and then just stopped.

So then I tried a new tape thinking maybe there was something wrong with the tape. And then it logged 8 clips from that one and then just stopped.

THEN I tried just stopping the tape and hitting record again to start recording from where it picked up, and it wouldnt capture anymore footage. This is very weird.

What do you guys think? Also @ John T Smith.

I still haven't tried the program you linked. I'll give that a go next.

• 8. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.

Oh dear!

My only other suggestion is to try another player.  I have occasional problems exporting to tape with my Sony GV-HD700 - everything freezes for a few seconds - but I have not noticed the same problems using it for capture.  A Canon HV30 always works correctly for both import and export.

I have read elsewhere of problems with the GV-HD700 and Premiere, which may account for Sony not including it in their on-line list

• 9. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                          Wodinaz1 Level 1

@ Alan Craven

I don't have access to anything else. This is all I have. It's very inportant I figure this out.

@John T Smith

I followed the instructions on that link you gave me...
                          http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Except when I got to "Setting ffdshow audio decoder:"

4. In "Decoder" column choose "mp3lib" for "MP1,MP2"...

I didn't have the selection "mp3lib". Heres a screen shot...
                          problem9.jpg

So I don't have that. I try useing HDV Split 0.77 Beta ANYWAYS. And that dosent work EITHER. I get this...

"INFO: No more data is received from camcoder. Capture stopped.

End of capturing"

problem10.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me out. I suppose I made the mistake of telling my boss I was capable of editing HDV Footage. I've done it before so I thought it would be okay. But if I'm unable to fix a simple problem as captureing footage I'm liable to get "let go". Or whatever people call it nowadays. -.-; I called Adobe today too. lol It's Saturday, so they're closed.

• 10. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the initial setup did you set the capture settings to hdv?

hdv.png

• 11. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                              Wodinaz1 Level 1

Sure did.

• 12. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.

It sounds as though you have selected scene detection?

Try not selecting this, and simply click on the Capture Tape button.  Capturing the whole tape as one clip may not be ideal, but if all else fails ......

What happens if you stop the tape playing when it has stopped capturing, leave the tape at that point, then click on Capture Tape again?

You mention a USB connected hard drive?  what is that for?  You are capturing to the eSATA drive?  Is it formatted NTFS?

Try capturing to the internal drive.  I know the "experts" are always telling you that you need a super-computer to edit, but it ain't necessarily so.  I used to use a far less powerful laptop than yours to edit HDV with just a single partitioned drive,  Not ideal, but it worked when I was on holiday.

• 13. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.
                                  Wodinaz1 Level 1

@ Alan Craven

"It sounds as though you have selected scene detection?

Try not selecting this, and simply click on the Capture Tape button.  Capturing the whole tape as one clip may not be ideal, but if all else fails ......"

Yes I have Scene Detection on. Yea, I've edited a couple weddings that were filmed on a camera where the Timecode was messed up, so I had to cut every single shot manually. It was time consumeing but I got the job done though.

So I unchecked Scene Detection and just tried captureing a long clip. Still freezes. Here's a screen shot...

problem11.jpg

I had to hit the stop button twice for some reason. I hit stop once and it pauses the Tae Reader. I hit Stop a second time, and it stops everything and saves what was captured. Only up to 57 seconds. Anything after 57 seconds dosen't get logged for some reason.

There seems to be a "bump" after 57 seconds. It freezes just for a slight moment and then keeps playing and thats where it stops captureing. So on to the next question...

"What happens if you stop the tape playing when it has stopped capturing, leave the tape at that point, then click on Capture Tape again?"

When I start captureing from where it leaves off it goes about 33 more seconds in and then stops captureing again. It seems like its hitting another "bump" like the screen freezes for a brief moment, and then keeps playing but not captureing... SO I do it AGAIN. I go to the spot it stops at and I start captureing. This time it captures about 2 minutes and 30 seconds and then hits yet ANOTHER "bump".

But the footage logs. So this is good.

So I'm guessing I can still use Scene Detection. I just have to WATCH it the entire time its captureing and hit Stop. Organize and rename files properly. Record. Stop. Organize and rename files properly. Record. Stop. and so on and so on.

This MAY be the solution. But I'm not sure yet. I'll give it a shot here in a little bit. This is going to be very time consumeing. Grr. But it very well might work.

"You mention a USB connected hard drive?  what is that for?  You are capturing to the eSATA drive?  Is it formatted NTFS?"

It's just another external hard drive. It's got a couple weddings on it and pictures and school stuff. I works great for DV stuff. It's not even plugged in at the moment. I just took a picture of all my drives for reference.

"Try capturing to the internal drive."

I'll do this.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone.

• 14. Re: HDV Capturing Problem.

If none of the things you have tried work - you cannot capture in either Premiere or HDV split - then I think the problem must lie elsewhere.

The problem must lie in the delivery of the data to the computer, I think.  That means either the tape is faulty (probably bad timecode), there is a fault in the Sony HDV player, or there is a fault in the firewire cable and/or ports.