21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 10:44 AM by Bill Gehrke

Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

Chris Nierop

I tried to run the benchmark as Harm Millaard suggested to find the problems I have with PPRO 5.5 to run smoothly.

I think the  typical instructions from the readme file in this Benchmark  works somewhat different inm my system and works not completely as it should.

This is what I founds and why benchmark 5 didn't work with me:

Step 1:

Opening project with Benchmark......  the programm ask "where is the file Phil AVCHD 1.MTS

You have to choose the the file: Phil AVCHD 1 and the programm opens.

Step 2:

Works, it is a Dutch AME, the screens looks different from the American. The preset will not change to custom, but it says"aangepast".

I have all the settings in step 2 the same as asked for, the process goes well I think.

Step 3:

Doesnot work.. In the PPBM directory you find : Statistics (without .vbs). Double clicking gives a failure, "file not found or replaced".

Doubleclicking with the command:  open with opdrachtprompt"  gives a file named "Output (without .txt)" in the PPBM directory. This file is empty. There are no instructions to the letter.

step 4:  Ones again, after opening the project with benchmark (no .ppro) the programm aks for the file Phil AVCHD 1.MTS, and you have to give the Phil ACVD 1 to open.

You see than the project in the timeline (H.264 test) and you can render it and close PPRO.

Step 5:

This, is I think, the bottleneck. You cannot open "Statistics.vbs" as I said before, it doesnot exist. There is a vbs  file named Statistics (without .vbs) but you cannot open it, unless with the "open with opdrachtprompt" command. But then you get again the empty textfile as before in the PPBM directory. There is no message named Output txt succesfully created, nor any instructions.

Visual conclusions: Rendering benchproject  about 1min.20 sec.

The cardriving section playingin  the clip goes with a little stuttering (at least it looks like)  when this section plays the cars driving forewaert.  But, the section where the cars drive backwaerts, the picture stutters a lot more, about 1 till 1.5  "stutter" per second (is seen on the 3e monitor as the projectmonitor of PPRO also) as it does in my projects. This is also the case when I only play this carclips, setting the other tracks in off positions and render again.

So, there I stay with the benchmark.

I didn't get any suggestions due to the fact I think that the txt file did.nt work as it should, but visually something is wrong.

The 2e videocard support only the 3e monitor and not the monitor on which the PPRO projectmonitor is seen. CUDA seperated the two cards, the 570 for the process, the 520 card only support the 3e monitor..

Visually it looks if the rendering goes well, the AME works also, but detailinformation is not there to analyse the system.

Any suggestions to the Dutch approche  and maybe what can be wrong.

Chris

• 1. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

In Control panel, Folder Options, View, do you happen to have 'Hide extensions for known file types' checked? If so, then uncheck it. Then you should see the script displayed as 'Statistics.vbs' and the result file as 'Output.txt'.

If your Win7 installation is OK, then 'Statistics.vbs' should be shown in the directory listing, if the display is set to medium icons, with an icon like below:

05-Aug-11 10-35-08.png

If the icon of the .vbs file is not like above, your registry settings for VB scripts got corrupted and you need to Google for the registry repair settings. I have that file on my desktop system, but am currently working on my notebook from abroad, so I can't get to it just now.

It may be that the download got corrupted, so you could try to re-download it again. I'm sorry but I have only English versions of OS and programs, nothing in Dutch, so I can't help you with the weird Dutch translations.

• 2. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
            Chris Nierop Level 1

Harm, thanks, I have unchecked and now I get the Statistics.vbs as a VBScriptfile in the PPBM directory (but not saying "replace PPBM as suggested by Harm). One step further.

I did the complete Benchmark again. But that didn't change the problem, opening the file Statistic.vbs  the script host shows

script: D:\PPBM\Statistics.vbs

line: 51

Seighn (teken): 1

Error: Cannot find the file

Code: 800A0035

Source: Runtime error Microsoft VBScript

After opening Statistics.vbs a new file opened directly in the PPBM directrory called "Output.txt", and is empty. 

Maybe it is a registry setting, but thats far beond my knowledge, I did run the register repair programm I have, there where no problems found. But that wouldn't say there aren't any. A silly quenstion I think, but I run the benchmark on another drive than the OS drive, that cannot be the problem I presume.

My computer is brandnew and custombuild specific for the PPRO programm

Chris

• 3. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
              JFPhoton Level 3

....initially had same problem as you....corrected

it by running test off my C: drive....if I remember right...it was a while ago....but, I do remember solving it then...

JFPhoton

• 4. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                Chris Nierop Level 1

Thanks, I will try that, maybe we have some luck ( I can use that).

Hopefully  there are some suggestions on the bad performance of my system using PPRO 5.5 and Audition 5.5, my computerknowledge is very basic and I don't  know where to look and what to try.

Best regards

Chris

• 5. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

I'll be back at my desktop around Wednesday. If you haven't figured it out by then, I'll contact you again to help you out. Maybe drop me a PM with your phone number if you need more assitance.

• 6. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                    Chris Nierop Level 1

Harm

Thanks very much, I will try the next days.

I remember my first PPRO, the 5 series, that someone from Adobe "did" my computer "at distance". I only saw the fast changes he made, but after that it was solved until the version 2.0.

I hoped with the modern technics it would be plug and play with the version 5.5, but this seems wishfull thinking. PPRO as well as Audition gives me a lot of trouble, may be caused by one small problem.

Hopefully I can solve it myself, but when not I hope to get your experience.

Thanks again, nice weekend. I have one in Amsterdam with our "pink canal" parade (I am not gay, but have a nice time anyway)

Best regards

Chris

• 7. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is not finding a file.  Do you have all the project files, preview files and output files in the same PPBM folder?

Of course you are getting some Dutch responses since you are running the Dutch version of Windows.

Since you are running CS5.5 you have to be sure to rename the designated output files in AME before running AME

• 8. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

Chris,  I just was able to duplicate the error on line 51.  That script is looking for these three files; Benchmark.avi, Benchmark.m4v and Benchmark.m2v.  Since Adobe changed the user interface from the CS5 version and no longer uses the project name, but instead uses the timeline name as the default name for the three files the current script cannot find the files.  Either rename the file during the AME configuration or download an updated CS5.5 unique script from our web site.  It is now added to our web site without indexing. Of course the ReadMe.rtf file does not yet reflect this change.

• 9. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                          Chris Nierop Level 1

Thanks Bill,

Due to my bad English I didn't take the readme text by the letter who says: Make sure that the output file looks like \PPBM\Benchmark....

So I let the automatically created names as they were.

I changed the names in AME as you described and in PPBM I tried to open Statistics.vbs.

But, and maybe it is my basic knowledge of computers and do something wrong, now I get a message after I tried to open it:

Script D:\PPBM\Statistics.vbs

Regel: 121

Teken (Seighn): 1

Fout (Error): Overloop:'[number.1E+99]'

Code: 800A0006

Bron (Source): Runtimefout Microsoft VBScript

As a alternative, I unpacked the zipped file, as you have given, into "Statistics CS5.5.vbs" and leaved the AME files as they are (no changing names).

I imported "Statistics CS5.5.vbs  into the PPBM directory, and leaved the old "Statistics.vbs" out (should I ?) and tried to open Statistiscs CS5.5.vbs, but also a error pop up:

Regel: 78

teken: 1

fout: cannot find the file

code: 800A0035

Opening the unpacked file "Statistiscs CS5.5.vbs directly after unpacking (not implemented into PPBM) also gives a errormessage.

This didn't solve the problem yet, bud as I said, maybe it is my shortcoming in computerknowledgs and must this be done otherwise.

Harm has offered me on Wednesday help as you could read, but as many I can try to solve before, the less I have to disturbe Harm's time.

Thanks for helping, everytime I learn a bit more of the compexity of PPRO getting started.

Chris

• 10. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

CANStageVideo wrote:

As a alternative, I unpacked the zipped file, as you have given, into "Statistics CS5.5.vbs" and leaved the AME files as they are (no changing names).

I imported "Statistics CS5.5.vbs  into the PPBM directory, and leaved the old "Statistics.vbs" out (should I ?) and tried to open Statistiscs CS5.5.vbs, but also a error pop up:

Regel: 78

teken: 1

fout: cannot find the file

code: 800A0035

This means that it cannot find the file H.m4v.  Both Statistics files can be present

• 11. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                              Chris Nierop Level 1

Sorry, last mail interrupted.

I did the test, thanks to Bill

It costs me almost a day to understand that it only works when the PPBM file is created on the OS (C) disk, and not on another disk.

But when you place the PPBM directory on disk C and be aware of the suggestions Bill did it worked.

I hope the test will give some suggestions to let the PPRO and Audition 5.5 work.

Untill now is is almost impossible to work with it.

I am anger to wait

Thanks

Chris

• 12. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

You should never use any Premiere project on your Boot drive.  This has worked for hundreds of people on any drive except your C: drive.  Sorry that you cannot sucessfully use it.

• 13. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                  Chris Nierop Level 1

Bill

Strange, first I did the directory PPBM on a secon drive, and the problem I reported earlier stayed.

Everytime there was an error message opening Statistiscs.vbs.

After renamed the AME files as you suggested I got the following message after I tried to open Statistics.vsb:

Script D:\PPBM\Statistics.vbs

Regel: 121

Teken (Seighn): 1

Fout (Error): Overloop:'[number.1E+99]'

Code: 800A0006

Bron (Source): Runtimefout Microsoft VBScript

This didn't solve the problem, but, as I said, when I opened a directory on C named PPBM and worked the Benchmark on this directory I have got the information as decribed in the readme text (I think, at least there were Output files with information in it) and sent it to the PPBM website.

I did the benchmark twice and sent the results.

It can be that the info as given in the output files is not what is should be.

There only are 4 numbers given, only the last number is deferent from each other (output.txt and output-MPE.txt).

I hope(d) it worked.

Chris

• 14. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

Chris,

I just looked at your two submissions.  Harm will have to return before he can update the web site I cannot do it at this end.  Normally we prefer to do this analysis off-line and not on the forum

Here are your two submissions and a typical reference system that has an i7-2600, 16 GB of RAM, running CS5.5 and two standard hard disk drives.  I got the "typical" drive by searching our web site on i7-26xx, 16 GB RAM and CS5.5 and then manual looking for a none overclocked i7-2600 with only two hard drives.

Chris.jpg

1.  Your disk intensive Disk I/O is terribly high meaning that something is very wrong with the disk setup.  First of all there are no 107 GB disk drives,  about the smallest current 7200 rpm SATA drive is 160 GB, is this a very old drive?.  Do you have a partitioned drive--that is not suggested.  Do you have indexing turned off?  How much space is available on both disk drives?  Is you project drive really 7200 rpm or is it a "green" drive?  Are your drives defragmented?  Maybe you should run HDtach on your two drives and let us know if they are normal.

2.  Your cpu intensive MPEG2-DVD score is very good.

3.  Your h.264 score is impossibly good.  No other similar system even overclocked has a score better than 54 seconds and that system is overclocked to 4.8 GHz.  Something is definitely wrong on that score.

4.  The MPE-On and Off scores look good and the Ratio is good.

It must be getting very late there!

Bill

• 15. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                      Chris Nierop Level 1

Bill

Thanks for the quick answer.

It is about 01.00 nigttime and I will look at it tomorrow, maybe a strong word with the company who build my system, because I did give them the basics for the system, and it seems that the ignored these (but we see if this is true). I have given him a list based mostly on the suggestions of Harm given in several publications, as there have to be 4 physical disks, 7200rpm each, one only to use for the programms, the others for project and archive.

He build a system as given:

SSD Corsair 115GB Force Series 44558 P8P67 EVO v3.0 (1155) ATX

2*DDR3 8GB 1333 XMS CL9 Kit2 Dominator DH

GEFORCE ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GEFORCE GT 520 silent (3th monitor)

2*DVDRW Samsung sata

WIN7 pro 64 bits

2*HDD Samsung 1TB 7200 1* HDD Samsung 0,7TB  (BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT ACTUALLY  IS BUILD I PRESUME)

Core i7-2600 3.4Ghz 6MB 1155 SONATA IV 620W 80+

ADOBE PPRO 5.5, Encore 5.5, Audition 5.5

I presume he has placed only 3 disks, the C and D disk in one, against my wishlist.

I have configured the system as follows:

HD C: OS and programms

HD D: captured video/audio and exports

HD E: Previews video/audio and exports

HD H: pagefiles mediacache and archiveclips

Not knowing of the (I think) C and D being one disk.

I hope this is the problem, that is repairable.

Thanks again, you will hear fro me as soon as possible

Best regards

Chris

• 16. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                        Chris Nierop Level 1

Bill,

Qestion:

The computerbuilder says he has all the programms and OS on a solid state because this is a very fast system . That means there is one solid state with alle the programms, an C and D (both 1T) and H (750G) disk.  (E and F are the DVD players)

I don't know what that means using PPRO, but do you know if using a solid state maybe is a bottleneck in using PPRO?

Thank Chris

• 17. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                          Chris Nierop Level 1

To close this discussion about Benchmark an overview about the userproblems I had with it.

The Benchmark worked only when I placed the PPBM directory files onto the C (OS and programm) drive.

I had to rename the files made by AME as given by Bill Gehrke. It was a bit misunderstanding stated in the readme file, but if you read carefully it is clear what to do.

I had to import the clip PHIL AVCD 1, file was in the projectdirectory but was not found opening PPRO using Benchmark.pproj

After done as decribed in the readme file it worked. The responce on the results was faster than the fastest disks, thanks to Bill.

Look for further discussions on the problem "Solid statedisk problem".

best regards

Chris

• 18. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

What I do not understand is if the OS and applications are on a SSD how can you have a C: drive that is 1 TB.  Using a SSD for the OS and application has no advantages for the performance of Premiere.when editing.  .

There are many people using SSD drives but if you look at the results of similar systems you can see for your self.

So your submitted results do not really reflect your OS/applications drive it is evidently a 120 GB capacity and not 7200 rpm but instead it is "SSD"

Have you checked the other DiskI/O items that I listed?

• 19. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                              Chris Nierop Level 1

Bill

Sorry, as I heard today the C drive is an solid state 115 G with all the programms and OS on it

D and E are 1 G normal 7200 rpm drives as far as we know by now

H is the smaller 750 G 7200 drive

I placed the benchmark directory PPBM on the drive C (solid state).    I had this on the D drive, but .on the D drive the problem was that I couln't open the Statistics.txt files as we discussed earlier. Placing the PPBM directory  on the C (solid state) it worked, with both the results I did sent to you

The question is if,  with knowledge that the C disk is a solid state instead of a normal 7200rpm disk,  this can influence the benchmark results.

And if not, the results of the found  bad disk configuration, can it be that the use of a solid state "disk"  gives problems witht PPRO/Audition.

If so, I must replace the solid state wirth a normal 7200 rpm disk.

The company who build my system looks if there are problems with the 7200 /.5200 rpm question by now. They said it was suppoost to be 7200 rpm, but it could be something  has gone wrong building the system.

Maybe the problem is that the solid state disk uses a great part of the capacity, there is not so much free space left. I cannot look at the numbers by now, the system is back to the company who had build it. But there is less than 40% free space.

Best regards

Chris

• 20. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)
                                                Chris Nierop Level 1

If we are lucky the problem has been located.

It seems that the manufacturer of the system has made a mistake with the drives

All drives are 5200rpm's

On the billl there are 7200 rpm's mentioned as I had asked for. But they have checked the system now and there it was, the implemented disks are of the wrong type.

Tomorrow they will change it, reinstall everything and maybe wednesday I will run the Benchmark 5 again to look if everything is under control.

For now, fingers crossed.

Best regards

Chris

• 21. Re: Benchmark ppbm5 problem (updated)

Then for now you can disregard the email I sent you and Harm