9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 1:34 AM by mag-man

Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7

panique_sr

Hello!

In our agency we encountered a problem since upgrading to OS X Lion 10.7. Both our Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 keep crashing on us whetver we open an existing document or create a new one. We tried to clean-up our installations, deleted both, installed just CS5 and/ CS5.5 - trashed preferences etc. pp. Nothing worked.

Indesign opens like it should - but the moment we create a document it just hangs with the spinning ball - does anyone else can recreate the issue? We use no plugins in indesign only the app "Fontcase" from the Appstore to maintain our collection of fonts.. but we even tried to deactivate this app to see if it helps - no success.

We currently cant set up the system new since it is time consuming and just our last choice.. is there some other way to find the problem? We also never see the adobe crash-reporter.. not even after 10-15 minutes as stated in the lion os x issue list.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          We tried to clean-up our installations, deleted both, installed just CS5 and/ CS5.5 - trashed preferences etc. pp. Nothing worked.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but when you reinstall CS software, you can't just delete it, you have to use the Uninstaller in the Utilities folder (Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers).  If you drag the application to the trash, you'll be leaving many files behind.

I'd suggest that you start again with the CS5 Cleaner Tool to remove all remnants of CS5 and 5.5, then start again:

Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool | CS5.5, CS5 ...

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
            panique_sr Level 1

Thanks for your answer but that is exactly what we have been doing :-) We already used the CS5 Cleaner Tool.

Thanks, Steven

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
              panique_sr Level 1

The problem still persists.. even after continous tries with the cleaner tool.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you used the standard Lion install, you did not do a "clean install" of the operating system. The standard install only replaces files which are updated. It doesn't remove accumulated crud from previous use of the computer.

If the Cleaner tool is not working, that suggests that the problem is something in your current user area in your OS. You could test this by creating a new user in Accounts in System Preferences. If you can launch InDesign in this user there's something in your OS that's screwed up that got carried over  during your upgrade to Lion.

There's also an outside chance that some third party application running at the same time is causing a problem.

You may have to attempt a clean install of Lion which involves backing everything up, reinitializing your hard drive, installing Lion, and restoring your files from backup.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  Indesign opens like it should - but the moment we create a document it just hangs with the spinning ball - does anyone else can recreate the issue? We use no plugins in indesign only the app "Fontcase" from the Appstore to maintain our collection of fonts.. but we even tried to deactivate this app to see if it helps - no success.

We currently cant set up the system new since it is time consuming and just our last choice.. is there some other way to find the problem? We also never see the adobe crash-reporter.. not even after 10-15 minutes as stated in the lion os x issue list.

This is a hang, not a crash, so you won't get the crash reporter.

Run Activity Monitor, choose InDesign, and select Sample Process.

Upload the result to pastebin.com and post a link here.

Please do not  post the output here, it makes the forum un-navigable.

That will tell us what InDesign was doing at the time of the hang.

In some cases, it is also instructive to, in Activity Monitor, go to View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT), to force a crash. Then you can make the crash report available to us in the same way.

The general concensus among most of us is that it's not a good idea to update to Lion, so there is limited experience with it. Perhaps you shouldgo back to 10.6.8.

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                    panique_sr Level 1

Hi!
                    I followed your instructions, here is the paste:

http://pastebin.com/FWs4wm7K

Thanks, Steven

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Ah, this is easy.

You have a problem with the SING module, see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html.

2619 ???  (in Document Actions)  load address 0x12061000 + 0x2e08  [0x12063e08]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 57129  [0x1103f769]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 54943  [0x1103eedf]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 205284  [0x12b17074]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 54889  [0x12af24f9]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 53411  [0x12af1f33]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 54444  [0x12af233c]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 53832  [0x12af20d8]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 46910  [0x12af05ce]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 160199  [0x12b0c057]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 124761  [0x12b035e9]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in Font Manager) + 430364  [0x12b4dfac]
                      2619 ???  (in Font Manager)  load address 0x12abd000 + 0x2000a  [0x12add00a]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 57129  [0x1103f769]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 54943  [0x1103eedf]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in SING) + 21595  [0x106e933b]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in SING) + 20802  [0x106e9022]
                      2619 GetPlugIn  (in SING) + 52092  [0x106f0a5c]
                      2619 SINGDLLStorage_GetGlyphlet  (in SING) + 94  [0x1801977a]
                      2619 SINGDLLStorage_GetGlyphlet  (in SINGCore) + 127  [0x180a527b]
                      2619 SINGStorage_GetGlyphletWorker(_t_SINGCtx*, char const*, unsigned long, unsigned char**, unsigned long*)  (in SINGCore) + 87  [0x180a4eb9]
                      2619 GetDocument(_t_SINGCtx*, unsigned long)  (in SINGCore) + 280  [0x1809a820]
                      2619 SINGLIB::ContextImpl::GetRootDocument() const  (in SINGCore) + 269  [0x1805d92b]
                      2619 SINGLIB::CatalogOperationContext::CatalogOperationContext(boost::shared_ptr<SINGLIB::Context>)  (in SINGCore) + 155  [0x180820cd]
                      2619 SINGLIB::SystemLock::Acquire()  (in SINGCore) + 32  [0x18082b12]
                      2619 __sem_wait_nocancel  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib) + 10  [0x9c62bb7a]

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                        panique_sr Level 1

Thanks you so much! That helped I wonder why the Installation Cleaner didnt fix this..

Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 crash on new document / Lion 10.7
                          mag-man

Ah ha! I had serious issues with ID5 sitting on Lion. Files wouldn't open, I had problems relinking, ID files would just quit unexpectedly...yesterday one ID failed to load full stop. Thinking the document was lost forever, I retrieved my back up and that did exactly the same thing.

After several hours I have found the issue. It has nothing to do with InDesign and certainly doesn't involve Lion.

I called Extensis - they said it isn't Suitcase Fusion 3 causing the problem so I called Adobe and we went through the PLIST, Caches, Preferences and SING files but the problem was still there even after reinstalling ID. I then had a brainwave and decided to turn off Suitcase Fusion 3 completely. Guess what happened? InDesign worked beautifully - albeit fonts not showing right on screen. Even the documents that wouldn't load of which I thought was lost forever, suddenly sprang back open.

If you are using Suitcase Fusion 2 or 3 - ditch them. They're not good regardless what Extensis say. They are burying their heads in the sand that they have a really serious problem.

I am now just using FontBook to see how we go but initial results is simply 'one hell of an improvement'. ID is running like it can really breathe.

Good luck peeps!

And as for Extensis....