2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2006 6:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Sharing a Director Text Cast Member with Flash.

Spoooon
      I have a Flash 8 document that reads an XML file of questions and answers and presents a test.
      When it is online I'm not worried about people getting the XML file with answers because they would need to guess the filename. However, I would like to also make it a stand alone EXE. Flash can do this, but the XML file is quite visible and makes finding answers very easy.

There are many SWF to EXE third party programs that will create EXEs with embedded files and the structure to access the embedded files, but they are very expensive and more features than I would ever need. I already have Director MX 2004 from other projects and imagine that I could use it for this.

I would like to Import an SWF and an XML file to my Cast (Director doesn't seem to like the XML extension, so I can rename it). Then I would like the Flash File to load the XML data from the cast instead of a remote file. I assume 1000 people have done this before but I have not seen any reference.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Sharing a Director Text Cast Member with Flash.
          duckets Level 1
          quote:

Originally posted by: Spoooon
          I have a Flash 8 document that reads an XML file of questions and answers and presents a test.
          When it is online I'm not worried about people getting the XML file with answers because they would need to guess the filename.

No, they wouldn't. There's plenty of software out there which allows you to easily see what urls are being called from your computer. If your swf is requesting an xml file, amateur hackers will be able to sniff it out without the need for guesswork.

Regarding your question about including the file in an director exe - have you tried including the file using the 'files' tab in the publish settings dialogue box?

- Ben

• 2. Re: Sharing a Director Text Cast Member with Flash.
            Level 7
            Lyunda.com and vtc have commercial tutorials, you can sign up with lynda
            for a month with I believe unlimited library access.