9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 9:56 AM by Ken Krugh

Punctuation following italic

Ken Krugh Level 1

Greetings All,

I have to admit not searching as much as I maybe should for a previous post, but our editorial goofed and didn't make the punctuation following an italic word or phrase italic. Now the 1100 page book is all paged in InDesign and I need to fix it there.

I've used just a LITTLE bit of GREP and am still very clueless about it but I'm wondering whether there is a way to search for italic followed by roman punctuation. I'm thinking that GREP would have to have a designator for italic text, which I've, thus far been unable to find.

• 1. Re: Punctuation following italic
          Ken Krugh Level 1

Sorry, hadn't finished, and hit Ctrl+S on the wrong window!

So, I'll need to make the punctuation following the italic word or phrase italic, which I know I can do my simply making it italic in the replace field but I need to be able to find italic followed by any punctuation.

Thanks a bunch,

Ken

• 2. Re: Punctuation following italic
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You won't be able to do a GREP search for this.

• 3. Re: Punctuation following italic
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Yeah, sorry, that's not gonna happen.

That is, you can search for

(a) something in italic,

(b) something in italic with punctuation, or

(c) something in italic where punctuation doesn't follow

but that's not going to find "something in italic where the punctuation is not in italic". Specifically, (c) will appear to find it but only because it will find "something where no puctuation follows" in italic.

• 4. Re: Punctuation following italic

Sorry, I got distracted -- work called

If you really need to find all of them, you can do the Three-Step Dance.

1. Find/Change every text in italics to be Red

2. Find/Change every punctuation in roman to be Red.

3. Find text followed by punctuation in the color Red, and change it to be Italic.

4. Remove the Red swatch.

(Huh, I was pretty sure this was a 3-step process. Oh well.)

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Punctuation following italic
                  Ken Krugh Level 1

Yep, makes perfect sense to me!

Thanks very much for your time T. You've helped me here, in the scripting forum and on Typophile's forum on more than one occation. Greatly apprecaited.

Now I just have to figure out how to make it all work. That's the trouble with being a "Production Manager," not enough time to play with cool stuff like GREP.

Thanks again,

Ken

• 6. Re: Punctuation following italic
                    Jeremy bowmangraphics Level 2

I'm not convinced your "editorial" goofed! Who says all punctuation following an italic word or phrase should be in italic too?

I gather the Chicago Manual of Style changed its mind between its 14th and 15th editions on the question, opting (wisely, in my opinion) that logic be the guide.

• 7. Re: Punctuation following italic

There's no account for taste.

For a book called What if pigs could fly? logic dictates the question mark to be italic, but should then the opposite be true for a title like Pigs can't fly?

('Cause that's my personal preference, but I'm such a slut as I'm always ready to discard it in favor of the client's.)

• 8. Re: Punctuation following italic
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        Who says all punctuation following an italic word or phrase should be in italic too?

In our office, we are perfectly divided fifty/fifty on this issue. The odd part is that I am serious when I say "perfectly."

Pretty much everyone agrees w/Chicago that there is no hard-and-fast rule, but if someone said yesterday that the comma should not match the italics on the preceding word, but today says that the semicolon should be set in italics, someone else will switch sides, unintentionally preserving the perfect fifty/fifty split. On days where we have this conversation when one person is absent, someone will invariably throw up their hands and say "Oh heck I don't care, do whatever you want," once again preserving the perfect fifty/fifty split.

It's creepy.

• 9. Re: Punctuation following italic
                          Ken Krugh Level 1

No, they definately goofed as the client's house style is that it should be italic.

An yes, it is definately a preference, various publishers will do it various ways. This includes paraens and brackets that sometimes appear around italic words or phrases.

Thanks again!