3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2011 11:19 AM by allisonblake

sharing text

amrp

is there a way to share text between 2 documents that share the content only but not  the atributes?

I'm able to share text using the Incopy feature, but I need the 2 documents to have the same content but they need to have different size fonts

thanks

• 1. Re: sharing text
          mradcliffe81

I am trying to find the same thing out. I design restaurant menus and marketing pieces. What i do is design the main menu, but then need the same text to be in a To-Go Menu but with its own size and formatting. I see no one has answered this yet, but have you found anything that works? I havent had any luck with InCopy.

Thanks, MPR

• 2. Re: sharing text
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not sure why this didn't get an answer last August, but based on what you've just added, I would either save the text in some sort of external file BEFORE placing in both docs, or export from the first file as InDesign Tagged Text (it will be easier to do this for text consolidated into stories rather than lots of individual blocks) and import that into the second document. Just change the style defintions to change the font attibutes,

• 3. Re: sharing text
              allisonblake Level 1

As long as the styles are named the same in each InDesign document, they can both link to a single InCopy file. Each InDesign file will display the formatting that the styles specify for that document.

See screen shots: These files share a single InCopy file.

Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 2.12.38 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-10-31 at 2.12.45 PM.png