17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 8:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments

NotEnoughHours Level 1

Not sure how better I can describe it than that.  I thought it was PE, but then the raw files displayed the same problem.  Then I thought it might have been bad SD cards, but I replaced them.  Tried increasing the shutter speed - but same issue.  Basically, whenever I do pans at any kind of pace other than extremely slow, the picture divides up - somewhat like on-location news segments when the signal goes bad.  Usually just a few bad frames in my case, but enough to make the whole scene unusuable.  Does my camera need some kind of service?  What could be the problem.  Sorry - I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance now but I'm lost...  any ideas anyone?  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are using a professional camcorder, and you really should be editing it with a professional program, like Premiere CS5.

You're not going to have much success editing video from a $3500 camcorder on a $75 program. Sorry.

Although, if it's going to work at all, you'll need to shoot your video in FX-HD mode and then, when you start your Premiere Elements project, select the settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo.

I can't guarantee it will work. But if it works at all, it will work with those settings and that video format.

• 2. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
            NotEnoughHours Level 1

Thanks Steve.  I would buy the full version tomorrow - and will soon - I'm just fairly well versed in PE and need time to conquor the learning curve, but will do so in the not too distant future.  Regarding the settings, I do shoot in FX-HD and my project settings are also as you suggest.  But as mentioned, the problem isn't with editing, it's with the raw files.  When I view the raw mt2 files, I see the choppy breaks - even before I import them.  And since I'm using new SD cards, I have to assume something is not right with the camera - my question is what could that be?

• 3. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>have to assume something is not right with the camera

Maybe... maybe not... you have not described your computer at all

CPU... amount of RAM... number and size of hard drives... Windows version... graphics card and driver version... just to start

You MAY simply not have a strong enough computer to play or edit those files

• 4. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Do I remember correctly that the Sony AX2000 has a variable effective shutter angle? If so, that might be mis-set for your footage. Motion, whether camera, or subject, is tough, the closer it comes to on axis for the lens. Obviously any camera motion will be on-axis. Panning can be tricky, even with the best cameras, and even when they are setup correctly. I always recommend a good set of legs (often called sticks by grips) and a fluid head to get it smooth. That whole rig is usually referred to as a "tripod," but for video, really transcends the "tripods" for still cameras.

Let us know about the shutter angle, as that could contribute to what I think you might be seeing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                  NotEnoughHours Level 1

HP 64bit Intel Core 3.33GHz 24GB RAM 1GB graphics card Windows 7.  I'm sure my system can't be the issue, but thanks for the input.

• 6. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                    NotEnoughHours Level 1

Bill - thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't appear this is part of the features on my camera.

• 7. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                      NotEnoughHours Level 1

I think I'm coming to the conclusion it could well be my machine, not the camera.  Why do I think this - well, when I view the raw footage directly on my camera, I'm not seeing any of the defects displayed.  Only when I'm viewing on my computer.  So... 1. Is this likely to be the case, and 2. if so, what should I be looking at?  Any tips for troubleshooting this further?

My specs: HP 64bit Intel Core 3.33GHz 24GB RAM 1GB graphics card Windows 7.

Thanks everyone...

• 8. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill - thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't appear this is part of the features on my camera.

Thanks for that. Guess we can chalk it up to my faulty memory. I cannot keep up with which features each camera has, and did a quick Google search, but only found some very vague reviews, where real specs. were omitted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

With any display issues, my first stop is to the video card mfgr's. Web site, to check for the latest driver.

Next, I'd look at my I/O sub-system, checking the speed of the HDD that the files are on, and making sure that it is separate from my C:\.

Just thinking there, but good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                            NotEnoughHours Level 1

Can you expand on what you mean by "I/O subsystem"  HDD speed?  Thank you....

• 11. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will probably be more useful.

In general terms, HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) come in three speeds: 5400 RPM (fine for most computing, but slow for video, or audio editing), 7200RPM (most common speed, and fine for audio and video) and 10,000 RPM, (more often used for the system drive, and great for video and audio editing).

When one gets into HDV, RED, or similar HD material, having a RAID 0, or similar, is a benefit for the media drive, and can be useful for an Export drive. As much HD material today is H.264, or AVCHD (a sub-set of H.264), the CPU, rather than the I/O is a bigger concern.

While SCSI is still alive and well, when one is spec'ing an I/O controller (and discs), the bang for the buck is with either SATA II, or SATA III. SSD's are getting better, larger and cheaper, but I would only look to one for the system drive, and still feel that it will not be until the next generation, before they really justify their high price, which is falling, as their sizes increase. This is just my opinion, and many swear by their SSD's, but their small size can be an issue with either audio, or video editing.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                                NotEnoughHours Level 1

That does - thanks.   I do have a separate hard drives - the main drive has the o/s and programs etc, the second is for project files, and the 3rd for scratch.  They are all 7200, so I guess I'm good there. 

Anyways, I've now determined it is my system since my files play fine on another system I have.  Since the graphics card drivers are up-to-date, I think I'm going to try and upgrade it and see if that fixes my problem.  ANy recommendations on a good 2GB graphics card?

• 13. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments

A graphics card plays a very small role in Premiere Elements' performance. You can use with program with as little as a 128 meg card.

As for performance, as long as it's an ATI or nVidia card that uses pixel shading, you'll be fine.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                                    NotEnoughHours Level 1

Thanks Steve.  In my case, having seen the specs I've shared, is there anything I could upgrade that would help increase performance?  What IS the most important factor?

• 15. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments

Processor speed is the single most important factor, as well as, of course, hard drive space.

A good i7 processor will edit pretty much any consumer video format with ease.

• 16. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                                        NotEnoughHours Level 1

Well, I finally discovered the real cause for this.  Whilst troubleshooting, I wanted to compare the codecs I had installed against another desktop in my office that wasn't showing the same symptoms.  In Windows 7 you have to run "MSINFO32", and you'll find them listed under components > multimedia > video codecs.  They were the same. 

But then I saw the "Display" option listed.  When I looked at that component, I saw the specs of my graphics card - but it was what was underneath that caught my eye.  It showed a SECOND entry - I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but it was related to LogMeIn, and was called a "Mirror adapter" or something like that.  Basically, it appears (or at least I'm assuming) that the remote access service that I had installed was simultanouesly running a "vitual image" of my screen, which I'm sure was putting extra strain on my graphics card and causing the interference when I was playing video that was moving too fast.  Anyways, I removed the program and to my delight problem fixed.  I'm sure this was a very oddball problem/solution, but thought it was worth posting.

Cheers for the input everyone.

• 17. Re: Sony AX2000 image divided on fast moving segments
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting development, and one that I would never have thought of.

Thank you for sharing your discovery, as that will likely help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt