4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2011 7:59 AM by Zoop studio

Trying to build this mid/top range PC for PrePro & AE

Zoop studio Level 1

Upfront thanks for your comments and tips for my coming machine.

I spend a lot of hours on this forum and came up with this conf.

Fractal design Define R3 (bigtower case)

Ocz zx 850 gold

Asus P8Z68 deluxe mobo (easy overclocking, i think.. is  4,.8 to 5.2 easy possible?)

Intel 2600k cpu

Scythe mugen 2 rev.B cpu cooler

LG BH10ls30 BR burner

4x Hitachi Dekstar7K3000 , 3Tb hd's (footage) in raid 10, less demanding on cpu compare to raid 3 or 5? or not with the Z68 chip?

2x WD Velocirapter 150GB (1 for OS, 1 for pagefile, scratch)

(output/back up via Esata to external disks)

MS 7 professional

Kinston 16GB DDr3 1600Hz kit

Zotac Geforce GTX 480 1500 mb memory

What would you change?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

Luc van Vliet

• 1. Re: Trying to build this mid/top range PC for PrePro & AE
          JEShort01 Level 4

Luc,

Your build looks well thought out, so just a few minor thoughts...

- Suggest substituting 2 1TB 7200 drives in a RAID 0 configuration in place of the single VR 150GB you were planning (much faster for video purposes, not much more cost)

- Stick w/ RAID 10 for your 4x3TB RAID; RAID 3 is not supported by Intel Z68 solution and RAID 5 is not advised unless you get a good hardware controller (for speed and robustness reasons)

- GTX 480 is a good solution, but choose one with dual or tripple fans; those designs tend to cool better and run quieter than the "reference" design; Zotac makes both reference and dual-fan GTX 480 cards

- I can't comment on the Fractal Designs case, as I'm not familar with them at all

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trying to build this mid/top range PC for PrePro & AE
            Zoop studio Level 1

Jim thanks for your knowledge,

I'm not that kind of tweaker, just want a great edditing machine so sorry for any stupid questions like:

Is it possible to make more then1 raid conf. on the Z68 board?- like you suggest a raid 0 and a raid 10? and

I suppose you mean the raid 0 for scratch and pagefile etc and not for the OS velorap disc?

The Fractal towercase is well tested as very low noise (isolation) and I like the non  ''bling bling'' non game design.

http://fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=52

Jim, thanks again,

Luc

• 3. Re: Trying to build this mid/top range PC for PrePro & AE
              JEShort01 Level 4

Luc,

Regarding can you have multiple RAIDs using motherboard SATA ports, for Intel ports, I can say yes. The board you are getting has 6 Intel ports (4 Sata II, 2 Sata III) and I'm pretty sure you could even make up to a single 6 disk RAID dubbed down to run at Sata II speed.

I was thinking:

- C: VR 150GB OS/programs - on one of the two Marvel Sata III ports

- P: 4x3TB RAID 10 array (projects, media, data, etc.) - on the 4 Intel Sata II ports

- S: 2x1TB RAID 0 (scratch, render outputs, etc.) - on the 2 Intel Sata III ports (doesn't benefit from the Sata III speed, it just seems like a clean way to set up everthing)

Cheers,

Jim

• 4. Re: Trying to build this mid/top range PC for PrePro & AE
                Zoop studio Level 1

Thanks a lot Jim !

I.O.U.

Good luck, Luc