6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 10:06 PM by Jeff Schewe

why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg

Andrea_GB

Hi all! new here and would appreciate any help I can get. This is all waaaaaaay over my head and very frustrating for me. I'm new to all this and kind of overwhelmed with all the info. I've been shooting in raw and use a nikon d40. I just noticed when I go in to edit my photos they are all automatically converted to jpeg. I have pse6 as well as cs5. The acr doesn't automatically pop up as I'm told it should if I shoot in raw. Also I noticed when I drag my pictures in to edit they all say .jpg??

Can anyone help me with this? I'd love to edit in acr first. I upload them to iphoto and they read "nikon raw" there, however in bridge, cs5, and pse6 they all read .jpg. I'm so confused, thanks for any help

• 1. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
          Noel Carboni Level 7

It sounds as though the files you have are actually JPEGs.  I know of no automatic conversion to JPEG that can occur when you're just opening files from your camera.  Are you SURE you're getting .NEF raw files from your camera?

Are you on a Mac or PC?  What OS are you using?

If PC, do you have View File Extensions enabled in Windows Explorer?

How are you importing the images from the camera?

-Noel

• 2. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
            Andrea_GB Level 1

I use a mac. When I upload them I use a sandisk card reader into iPhoto. In my camera my images read .nef and on iPhoto they read camera raw. But as soon as I open them in pse6, cs5, or bridge they all read .jpg

• 3. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Unfortunately I'm a PC guy; I'll have to step aside for any Mac experts who might have seen this behavior.

-Noel

• 4. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Andrea_GB wrote:

I use a mac. When I upload them I use a sandisk card reader into iPhoto. In my camera my images read .nef and on iPhoto they read camera raw. But as soon as I open them in pse6, cs5, or bridge they all read .jpg

Exactly how are you opening them into Elements or CS5 or Bridge?

Your real problem is that iPhoto imports the original images from the card and stores them inside of the iPhoto library. You can't get the raw file from iPhoto without actually digging down into the library. If you do a right click on the actual iPhoto Library (prolly inside your User/Pictures/iPhoto Library), you can use the command Show Package Contents. Inside there will be a subfolder named 'Originals' that should contain your original raw files.

Unless you really want to keep using iPhoto for some reason, (it's an ok asset manager but if really isn't designed for editing), you should prolly try importing images from the card to a folder on your hard drive using a Finder copy, then navigate to that folder in Elements or Bridge.

The other thing to consider is looking at Lightroom as an upgraded replacement for iPhoto.

• 5. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
                  Andrea_GB Level 1

Thank you soooooo much Jeff, you have saved me a very unwanted headache and tons of frustration. I found my originals the way you instructed and they now open in acr automatically. I do very much need to find a different way of importing my photos. For some reason they have always automatically been imported to iphoto. I actually purchased LR3 a few weeks ago and it's installed but I have no clue how to use it and am actually signed up for a workshop for it next week. So hopefully this will speed up my editing workflow.

The way I have opened my images in the past is by opening iphoto and then just dragging them individually to pse or cs5, which adds tons of extra steps to my editing. I'm slowly learning shortcuts thanks again for your time!!

~andrea

• 6. Re: why won't my images open as raw? they automatically open as jpeg
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Glad I could help...Lightroom (once you learn how to use it) should be a substantial upgrade over iPhoto...hopefully your Lightroom workshop will help. If you have additional questions regarding Lightroom I would suggest the Lightroom forum.