9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2011 1:11 PM by the_wine_snob

importing jpegs for editing

TNperry

Sorry to start this thread because I have read

some of the past replies to my same question that others have submitted but I can't

seem to get a handle on my problem.  I have some pic/jpeg fi

les that I want to import to my video.  After reading your replies to others with questions I have learned that the files should be edited down to 1000 x 750 px's.  I received these pic files in an email.  I have tried to edit them or import them to my project and I get this error message that they are not in the correct format although they are in jpeg just heavier than they should be.  Any help you can offer is appreciated.  I read one of Hunt's articles but his explanation is way over my paygrade in this matter lol.

Jim

• 1. Re: importing jpegs for editing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You change the size of a picture in a picture editing program... such as Photoship Elements

What picture editing software do you have?

The FREE irfanview (google it) will also change a picture's size

• 2. Re: importing jpegs for editing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's think about those JPEG's.

1. First, they need to be RGB Color Mode. Grayscale, or CMYK will not work.
            2. They need to be Baseline Standard, and not Progressive, which is for the Web only (and many Mac's cannot even open them and view them properly).
            3. JPEG headers are very sensitive to corruption. Photoshop, and PS Elements are critical of JPEG file headers, and balk on any issue. Other programs, like IrfanView, GIMP, PhotoImpact, etc., are more lenient, and will often Open JPEG's, that PS refuses to touch. Just do a Save_As from one of those other programs, and the JPEG should Open fine in PS/PSE.

Either of those aspects can be changed in an image-editing program, like Photoshop, or PS Elements. The first is done via Image>Image Mode, while the latter is done with Save_As.

As for the 1000 x 750, remember, those numbers are for SD (Standard Definition) Projects, and if one is working in HD, then the numbers would bump up to 2000 x 1500. Personally, I Scale to exactly what I need. Those sizes give some wiggle room.

Also, as John mentioned, the image-editing is done in PS, PSE, or another program, like IrfanView, PhotoImpace or GIMP.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: importing jpegs for editing
              TNperry Level 1

I have Adobe Photoshop Element 9 Plus.  I simply can't understand why it

won't import or upload when I ask to "get media" from files.  That's when it

tells me the files aren't in the correct format but they are jpeg files.

Jim

• 4. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                TNperry Level 1

Thx Bill once again for your prompt reply.  I will start jumping through the

hoops and see what happens and let you know.

Jim

• 5. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If Photoshop Elements is throwing the errors, then there is likely something corrupt in the JPEG's header. I have seen this happen to a lot of others, especially with e-mailed images. Not sure if it's Outlook, the POP servers, or something else, but this seems to happen often. I have several other image processing programs, and usually just grab my old PhotoImpact, Open the JPEG, and do a Save_As. PhotoImpact writes excellent JPEG headers, and then PS will gladly Open that new file. Some non-commercial image editors, that work with a wider range of JPEG, than PS/PSE are IrfanView and GIMP. Probably many others too. Another commercial program, that does a good job is ThumbsPlus, which I also have.

I normally request TIFF Images, instead of JPEG's, and though much larger, seem to work 100%, at least for me. Matter of fact, I rather steer clear of JPEG Images, if at all possible, and if I get handed one, will usually use Photoshop to convert it to a PSD file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

We cannot remove the "hoops," but we try to provide a nice soft landing pad, when you jump through.

Good luck, and if you still have issues with one of those pesky JPEG's, just attach it to an e-mail to info AT huntphoto DOT com (obviously, AT = @ and DOT = .), and put Adobe Premiere Elements in the Subject. I'll look it over, and see if I can straighten it out.

Hunt

• 7. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                      TNperry Level 1

I didn't mean that as a derogatory remark. Just a poor choice of words on my

part.  You/Adobe have been great in assisting me with my problems.

Thx again in advance,

Jim

• 8. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I found nothing derogatory in the remark at all, and thought that it was humor (or humour, if you are in Canada, or the UK ).

My comment was an attempt at returning that humor.

If anything else was intended, it went so completely over my head, that I just missed it.

So long as we get your JPEG's to Import, we are happy around these parts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: importing jpegs for editing
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that Jim's client used an e-mail client program, like Outlook (though they are on a Mac), that structures Image Attachments a bit differently. They are put into a .DAT wrapper. I encountered those some years ago, with one client using the then-current Outlook. I struggled with them, but found a utility from the UK, that was cheap, and did batch extraction of the files from the .DAT wrapper.

While experimenting, I tried doing a Save_As of the .DAT files, as [File Name].JPEG, and got [File Name].JPEG.DAT. In Windows Explorer, I just went in and deleted the ".DAT" from the file name, and then the JPEG files Opened fine in Photoshop CS2. I did not bother to Scale the Images in PS, but just Imported them into PrE 4.0, where they were fine, with no interaction, or changes in PS. I did have to Scale to Frame Size, to fill the Video Frame, in my test Project,but all was fine.

I hope that this helps others, if they get JPEG Images wrapped in the .DAT container via e-mail.

Hunt

PS - I do not know all of the e-mail client programs, that use the .DAT "wrapper," and have not seen similar in some years. Please note: those .DAT files are NOT the system .DAT files. I would NOT try getting those into PrE.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS