9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 3:19 PM by pfpressel

Capturing video is slow

pfpressel Level 1

I am trying to capture video

from my sony handycam.  While it plays back fine on the camera, the captured video is slower, out of sync and very choppy.  Could the video graphics card be rthe reason.  I update to 4 G memory and 2 terabytes hard drive.

• 1. Re: Capturing video is slow
          pfpressel Level 1

I neglected to mention my camcorder is old, I use a fire wire to connect.  Have not had th

is problem before in my editing.

• 2. Re: Capturing video is slow
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're capturing from a miniDV camcorder over a FireWire cable, the graphics card has no effect on your capture. It's just streaming into your computer as Dv-AVIs.

So the playback problems won't be related to the video itself. The video is likely fine. You've got something else going on on your computer that's interrupting things and making playback erratic.

It could be your antivirus program or Norton software. It could be indexing. It could be a lack of space, fragmentation or malware on your drive.

Or, if you're editing your video on a second hard drive, it could be an improperly configured drive. But you'll need to tell us more about your system in order for us to know.

Meantime, have you run a program like Advanced System Care to clean things up lately?

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

• 3. Re: Capturing video is slow
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, sounds like you are doing Capture. That term is often misused by many. Capture is via FireWire from a miniDV tape camera. What is the make/model of your camera?

Also, true Capture is just a byte for byte transfer of digital data, that is then wrapped into a DV-AVI file. There are few chances (provided that the cable, the camera, the computer and the connectors on both the camear and comptuer are good), that something can go wrong. This is a very simple operation.

If there are issues, they are likely further along the path, and could be the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, as that is more important for this format, than either CPU, or GPU.

I'd start at almost zero, and list not only that camera, but the full system specs., and then the Project Preset that you chose. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on what would be important.

Just guessing at this point, I'd say that what you have encountered is due to the system, but your info and answers will tell us, whether that IS the bottleneck.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like Steve is making the same guess.

• 4. Re: Capturing video is slow
                pfpressel Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I have tried running lots of registry  programs to clean and speed stuff up. I did download the recommended cleaner but can't see any difference.  I have Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX20 with Pentium 4 CPU which shows both 3.0 GHZ, &  2.99 GHZ and 3.5 GB of Ram.   Available physical memory is 2.9 GH Available virtual memory 1.95 Gb and page file space of 6.84 GB

My video card iw 128MB ATI Radeon x 600 SE

Also lists 128 MB ATI Radion X 600 SE Secondary.  Not sure what that means.

I have 2 hard drives, the c drive is the boot drive and has 10.4 GB of remaining space.

The 2nd has 1.49 TB of space available.  I have tried to save all of the Adobe there.  Also, where all of the pictures reside.

I have an external book drive with 646 GB available.

The camera I am recording from and trying to capture is a Sony Handycam 360X DCR TRV310 Ntsc.

Also using a sony DCR HC38

I am not sure what presets I am using now because now, I can't even get the program to load!  All I get is the first screen where you can pick the organizer, new or load project.  It says it is loading info and then just stalls with the gathering user information message.  If I click again, the whole program disappears.

I am trying to get the system looked at but I don't know where or what to ask right now.

I had few problems before with PE 8 so I don't know why all of a sudden, I am having so many problems.

Any help is appreciated.

• 5. Re: Capturing video is slow
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info.

What is the number/date of the ATI driver installed?

What is the number/date of the Realtek audio driver installed?

What version of QT Player do you have installed?

Is your Virtual Memory dynamically, or statically managed?

That 10GB free-space is very, very low, so your C:\ will be running far slower, than it should. Are there files that you can move to either the extrenal, or to your D:\? Though you are editing to D:\, C"\ needs more "breathing room," and especially if the Virtual Memory (Page File) is dynamically managed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Capturing video is slow
                    pfpressel Level 1

I don't see Realtex Audiop driver  I have soundmax and can't find the driver detail

ATI Driver is dated 3-05, 6.14.109.6525  When I try to update, I get the message the I have the driver I need.

Quick Time is ver. 7.

Thanks

I understand that the c is low but I thought I had transferred most over to the e drive,  But it still only has the 10 gb.  do I need to make the other drive the boot disk??

• 7. Re: Capturing video is slow
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm afraid a Pentium 4 isn't going to have enough power to run this program with any effectiveness. Especially version 8, which was very resource heavy.

You may do better with version 9, which runs a little more efficiently.

But it's pretty likely all the tuning up in the world is not going to get your Pentium 4 running fast enough to work with this program. (In my books, I recommend at least a dual-core 2.6 ghz for miniDV and a quad core or i7 for hi-def.)

• 8. Re: Capturing video is slow
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATI Driver is dated 3-05, 6.14.109.6525  When I try to update, I get the message the I have the driver I need.

ATI is one of the "big-two" video card mfgrs., and historically releases a new driver every month, so yours is about 37 versions out of date.

How did you attempt to update it? Where did you get the message that it is up to date?

In the article that I linked to, it explains that the OS and almost all driver updating utilities will not give accurate results. One must go to the source, and in your case, that would mean the ATI/AMD site and the driver download page.

I don't see Realtex Audiop driver  I have soundmax and can't find the driver detail

Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Sounds, and see what the audio system is, and then in its Driver tab, what version you have.

Quick Time is ver. 7.

QT Player has been in version 7 for some years now. What are the numbers after the 7? For instance, mine is currently 7.6.9.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Capturing video is slow
                          pfpressel Level 1

Thanks for alll of your help.  I am trying to find out if I can upgrade the processsor and waiting for

reply from Intel and Dell.  Once I know that , I can get this going.  I am also trying to update the drivers.  Whenever I use windows device manager, it always says I have the current driver.  The ATI site shows that what I have is now "legacy" and I need to load a new one.  I will wait until I find out about the processor and maybe have a computer guru do all the technical stuff.  You guys have been incredibly helpful~

Pam