3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 5:15 PM by Akkronym48

Generic Error message for .mov files

Akkronym48

I'm 100% new to Premiere; I've never seen it before, I've never used it before. I asked my local Best Buy agent for a simple straight forward video editting software and he pointed me towards Premiere Elements 9. Now that my familiarity with the software has been established:

I'm trying to just experiment with it and get familiar with the features and settings etc. I tried to import a video recorded on a standard camera that had been saved on my hard drive. File> Get Media From> Files and Folders> Videos> my video.

When I select the "open" command I am told "The Importer has reported a generic error." I can still view them through Windows Media Player. Also they are .mov files.

How do I fix it or get around it and if I can't, how can I make sure that videos I actually need don't become generic errors?

• 1. Re: Generic Error message for .mov files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, and also to PrE.

First, we need to dig a bit more deeply in what you are trying to Import. Video is so filled with different formats, CODEC's (think of these as the "guts" to a video file, and then those are subject to the whims of the camera mfgrs.

Can you tell us the make/model of camera, that these came from? As many cameras allowed all sorts of recording, if you can also list how these files were shot, that would be very helpful.

Then, can you tell us about the Project Preset, that you chose at New Project?

Those two, the Source Footage and the Project, should match.

Now, for some background reading, see this ARTICLE on file formats, and this ARTICLE for more info on CODEC's. They are probably a bit more than you want to know right now, but you will get an idea of why I am asking the above questions.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Generic Error message for .mov files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Being new to PrE, I want to share some resources with you. This ARTICLE lists many, and all have proved very useful to all PrE new-comers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Generic Error message for .mov files
              Akkronym48 Level 1

I am using a Kodak Easy Share C160. I believe thats what you are looking for. Its a standard point and shoot that happens to have a video camera function. It saves onto an SD card and the file itself was copied from the "my computer" view of the camera's contents. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

As for format, I'm not entirely positive what format I created it as but since the default is ntsc-dv-standard 48khz I'm going to assume it was that. It should be noted that I have no idea what any of those abbrieviations mean in regards to the program.

By the way, just as a sort of offhanded comment if you are willing to go beyond just answering the one question, the reason I got Premiere is that I want to start a youtube channel video blog. The intended final product being at its simplest a narrated slideshow of related images and at its most complex a video shot with a webcam and occasionally including video actually taken from the previously mentioned camera. These files were just random video I had lieing around that I could make use of to practice with Premiere. Do you have any tips for me in terms of the actual goal project?

I'm reading those articles now.