7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2011 2:34 PM by Noel Carboni

Starting over in ACR

AnotherDavid Level 1

I am working through examples on a DVD that came with a book on PS CS5. When I copy an image from the DVD to a Temp folder on the heard drive Bridge cannot "see" it. However, Bridge can browse the DVD, and I can open an image in ACR. So here's the problem, after I work through the steps in the book I get excellent results, now I want to work through it again to reinforce the steps. Now however, when I re-open the same DVD image it opens in ACR with the adjustments applied and the image already cropped. So I tried Develop Settings > Clear Settings (hardly intuitive!). I got a warning that the file was read only. Well I knew that, it's on a DVD, but the settings are being stored somewhere. Thnking that they might be stored in some Temp file I tried closing PS and Bridge, then re-starting both. Same problem. So where are the settings being stored? How do I delete them so that I can start over from scratch?

Thanks for you time,

David

• 1. Re: Starting over in ACR
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

In your Camera Raw Preferences/General, what are your settings regarding Save image settings in:

If you have it set to Camera Raw database, ACR will store the adjustments settings in the database so even an image on a DVD will be remembered...

Note, you can always return to the default Camera Raw settings by selecting 'Camera Raw Defaults' in the flyout menu...

• 2. Re: Starting over in ACR
            AnotherDavid Level 1

Thanks for the information. I found the database buried deep in Documents & Settings. However, even after purging the cache when I re-open the DVD image the adjustments are restored to default, but the image is still cropped. By chance I found that selecting the Crop tool the whole image appeared and the cropping could be changed. I would have thought that the image could have been restored to the original with a single button to start over. I guess it's just me, I couldn't even find a Reply button in the Forum so am having to resort to replying via e-mail.

Thanks again,

David

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 18:16:25 -0600

To: rhind_d@hotmail.com

Subject: Starting over in ACR

In your Camera Raw Preferences/General, what are your settings regarding Save image settings in:

If you have it set to Camera Raw database, ACR will store the adjustments settings in the database so even an image on a DVD will be remembered...

Note, you can always return to the default Camera Raw settings by selecting 'Camera Raw Defaults' in the flyout menu...

>

• 3. Re: Starting over in ACR
              Noel Carboni Level 7

If the crop is still being set, the data is stored somewhere else.

Do you have .XMP files in the same folder as your images?

By the way:  You can clear a crop by clicking and holding on the crop tool icon, then choosing Clear Crop.

ClearCrop.jpg

-Noel

• 4. Re: Starting over in ACR
                AnotherDavid Level 1

Thanks again. This particular image is on the DVD that came with the book so there can't be any .xmp file stored in that folder. I don't have images stored in "Docs & Setting...My Photos" or anything like that, just open new folders on the E drive as needed. Maybe there's an xmp file relating to this image n one of those folders, it would take a lot of searching to find it. However, your tip about clearing the crop takes care of that so now I can start over after just two days of frustration.

Thanks

David

If the crop is still being set, the data is stored somewhere else.

Do you have .XMP files in the same folder as your images?

• 5. Re: Starting over in ACR
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

I don't think XMP files can be elsewhere; they need to be in the same folder as the raw file (they're actually called "sidecar XMP files" because they go along right next to the raw files).

But you need not speculate about what's on the disc; open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder to see if any XMP file was supplied.

Myself, I prefer configuring it to use the central database, but each person is different.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Starting over in ACR
                    AnotherDavid Level 1

Just did a search of the DVD, there are no .xmp files so the information is being stored somewhere else!?!? Doesn't really matter now that you've explained how to get back to the original.

David

I don't think XMP files can be elsewhere; they need to be in the same folder as the raw file (they're actually called "sidecar XMP files" because they go along right next to the raw files).

But you need not speculate about what's on the disc; open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder to see if any XMP file was supplied.

Myself, I prefer configuring it to use the central database, but each person is different.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Starting over in ACR
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Yeah, it was just some curiosity about how it was remembering the crop for you.  No need to go further.

-Noel