5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 2:42 AM by Carole Caruso

PM 65 to InDesign

Carole Caruso Level 1

I am writing a book using PM65. It will take years to complete so I am trying to be intelligent about this. You have made it clear to move up to InDesign. I am paying attention. I have completed hundreds of pages that are graphics intensive in PM65. So my question is this: Can I import these pages into InDesign? If so, how? What file format?  PDF? PS? And would this require a lot of tweaking? I searched the InDesign forum and could not find this problem had been discussed. I am trying to decide if it would be worth it to move on up, or if I should take ve-ry good care of my computer with W98 on it.

Thanks.

Carole

• 1. Re: PM 65 to InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

InDesign will open Pagemaker files natively. As for how well the file would convert, there's no way for us to know.

If you haven't already purchased ID, download the CS5.5 demo and give it a try.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PM 65 to InDesign
            Carole Caruso Level 1

Thanks, Bob. I was hoping that you would say that I could import a  pdf or ps file from PM directly into InDesign, and all would be well. It's not going to be that easy is it?

Oh, well.

Thanks.

Carole

• 3. Re: PM 65 to InDesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can place a PDF but it won't be editable.

Bob

• 4. Re: PM 65 to InDesign
                ReneGnam Level 1

Carole...

You CAN place a PDF and edit it fully in Serif Page Plus X5. If your PDF is multiple pages, you have a choice of placing just one page or all. You can also choose whether you want each page placed as a group (ungroupable later) or as ungrouped. The embedded fonts will all transfer. Fonts not embedded will be emulated (remarkably close). Even photos and graphics placed in the PM65 pub prior to making the PDF will transfer.

I've done this with dozens of PM65 publications, transferring them to PagePlus and then editing copy, resizing pix, changing colors...anything you want. And the really good news is that Page Plus costs less than $100 at Serif.com. And when you're done editing the publication in Page Plus, one click makes a new PDF.

Each time I need one of my old PM65 publications (and I have hundreds), I swivel to my old XP machine, start PM65, export the pub as a PDF, copy it across to my new Win7 machine, open PagePlus, place the PDF and go to work. You will truly be amazed at how easy it is. Contact me if you need help.

• 5. Re: PM 65 to InDesign
                  Carole Caruso Level 1

Thank you!!!  You give me hope.

Carole