3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 1:43 PM by Steve Grisetti

Deleting 'Old' Premier Files-Can I Do It?

rcaastro Level 1

I have done some work with Photoshop Elements 8 and have recently begun to work with Premier Elements 8.  Having recognized how much space video takes up I am going to install a second hard drive (WD Caviar Black, 1 TB) in my XPS 8300.

Based on all of the posts that I've read, my plan is to keep my OS and all programs on the C drive, along with all of my digital images (75 GB worth) (since I've run into problems in the past by moving images and then finding files unconnected in Elements). On the D HD (new WD) I plan to have my paging file, backup files from Quicken, and all of my video assets along with the Premier scratch disks.

Question 1.  Is there anything wrong with this plan?  If so, how can I improve it?

I've completed a few video projects already, meaning I'm done editing and have burned the DVDs and plan no further changes to those DVD projects.  Since the DVDs are the result of a completed project, I'd like to free up additional HD space by deleting a number of files that were generated during the editing process.  For instance, in the folder Adobe Premier Elements Auto-Save, I have 2.3 GB of files with names like Holidays-1.prel through Holidays-5.prel.  In addition, Holidays has a .log file.  I have about 5 sets of files like that, one for each of the projects that I have completed. 

In that same Auto-Save folder there are additional folders, one labeled Holidays-5.PREV that has 50 files in it. There are also folders named Encoded Files and Layouts.  This is the same for all of the completed projects.

Question 2. Can I safely delete all of the files/folders relating to the projects that I am done with?  Not the original asset material, of course, since I may want to use that again for a different project.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

DELL XPS 8300, WIN 7, 64 bit

8 GB of RAM

i-7 2600 CPU at 3.4 GHxwith 8 cores

1 TB HD internal; about to add second 1 TB internal HD

2 TB USB 3 external HD-Seagate

• 1. Re: Deleting 'Old' Premier Files-Can I Do It?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest way to move your projects and their media clips from your C drive to a second drive is to use the Project Archiver tool in Premiere Elements. This will move all of the files but maintain the links to the project files.

If youv'e been saving each new project in its own separate folder, as I recommend in my books, removing the old projects from your main drive is a cinch. You just delete the project folder, and that removes the project, media, scratch files, rendered files, etc. in one swoop.

If you haven't been saving each projectin itw own separate folder, you'll have to do some hunting and manual clearing.

As for saving your finished projects as DVD files and then removing the source files -- that will work, as long as you don't plan to re-edit the project in the future.

I keep all of my final DVD VIDEO_TS folders on my backup drive, in case I need to burn off a new copy. But, if I ever need to re-edit the project -- and I want to keep the quality high -- I'll need to go back to the original tapes and pretty much start from scratch.

• 2. Re: Deleting 'Old' Premier Files-Can I Do It?
            rcaastro Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the response.  I'm sure this will free up lots of space.

One question, though.  When  I initiate and go through the 'archive'

routine why does PrEl 8 need to repeat the 'rendering' process all over

again?  In fact, I just checked to see how far along it was and it

'encountered an error' and closed on me!  Looks like I'll have to

restart that particular archiving routine again.

Thanks,

Larry

• 3. Re: Deleting 'Old' Premier Files-Can I Do It?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, I don't know enough about your situation to say why this is happening.