11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 11:09 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded

Myron Achtman Level 1

It's amazing how Adobe manages to make newer versions of Premiere Elements worse than earlier versions.

I've been playing with Elements 9 for 15 minutes and I'm already totally turned off.

In the latest version (Premiere Elements 9) you can no longer use the left and right arrow keys to scrub through a clip. This is rediculous. These arrow keys have been an integral part of Premiere since its first incarnation released in the 1990s.

Adobe has also removed the thumbnail view in the Project window. I really liked the thumbnails because you could use them to "Storyboard" a program. Not any more.

The Motion Tracking feature simply does NOT work on my computer. Place a clip on the Timeline, click the clip to select it, and then click the Motion Tracking burtton. Absolutely nothing happens. Very impressive.

In my opinion, Premiere Elements 3 was the best version of this software that Adobe ever released. Since then, it's been nothing but a series of hopelessly buggy crash-prone applications in versions 4 though 9.

This should be an embarassment to Adobe, but they really don't seem to care.

Thank goodness I have Premiere Pro CS5 and this IS a reliable product. However, we use Premiere Elements in the courses I teach at a local University. Every year I have to tell all my students to "wait for the next release, maybe it will be better." It never happens.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a user to user forum... over in the Premiere Pro side a few employees read/post, but I don't know if any PreEl employees read here... so, to talk to Adobe about what you want, go to

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
            Myron Achtman Level 1

Thank you for your reply. However, the link you provided does NOT lead to any area where I can provide feedback to Adobe about Premiere Elements 9.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried clicking on the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of every web page on this site?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I do agree that PrE 3 had a lot going for it, if for no other reason, than the GUI was more like PrPro 1.0 and 2.0.

However, I have never found PrE 4.0 to be crash-prone, but then only use DV-AVI material, and my laptop is very stout, plus well-tuned. I do feel that the streamlined GUI is a step in the wrong direction, but then I use PrPro most often, and am just much more comfortable with that GUI. To a new ueser, the streamlined GUI is probably much more friendly and useful, once they find where things are located. They are much more the target demographic, than I am.

Over the last several versions, the reviewers have generally liked the newer interfaces, and the ease of doing many common tasks. The only real complaints, that I recall, were with PrE 8, which was, er, well the Vista of Premiere Elements, at least from my research. Here to fore, the biggest issue posted on with PrE 9 has been a Bug with adding new graphics to Menu Sets (when it has been installed on a properly spec'ed. computer and fed the Source Footage that matches one of the expanded Presets). To date, the Menu Set Bug has not been addressed.

Depending on the students, I feel that learning on PrPro would likely be better, as it is more manual, with fewer Presets, and the students will get a deeper appreciation for what goes into editing video. However, I am not teaching video editing at any level, so that is just my personal feeling. When I did teach photography, I always used manual, mechanical cameras, even if the students had access to newer automated, and partially electronic cameras. I wanted them to experience f/stops, see DOF and understand the relationship between f/stops and shutter-speed, for exposure. Then, they could move up (?) to the automatics and to all of the electronics. They never say any type of automation, until we'd worked up from 35mm to 6 x 6 CM to large format. Heck, even all of my old Hassleblads and my Cambos, are fully manual, with but a motor on one Hassleblad. That's as automatic, as it got. I wanted the students to understand all of the mechanics, before they ever saw a "Program Mode," so that they could relate to what that Program Mode was doing, and why. If I was theaching NLE work, I'd want the students to know everything about the mechanics of video editing, and then perhaps move up to Presets that hid much of that, behind a big-button.

As John T. points out, the forum reaches users, such as we are, and seldom, if ever, Adobe's engineers. The Feature Request/Bug Report is the way to do that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                  Myron Achtman Level 1

Please send me a screen shot.

I certainly do not see any such link here.

My e-mail address is adita@adita.com.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                    Myron Achtman Level 1

Hello Bill,

I'd love to teach Premiere Pro over Premiere Elements at our University.

However, our budget does not support the software (and hardware) required for this version.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Myron Achtman wrote:

Thank you for your reply. However, the link you provided does NOT lead to any area where I can provide feedback to Adobe about Premiere Elements 9.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

Yes it does... that is where you tell adobe what is wrong or what you want for ALL Adobe products

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                        Myron Achtman Level 1

After having another day to fully evaluate Premiere Elements 9.01, I must downgrade it even further.

Now I can say with confidence that this is the worst release of Premiere Elements ever by Adobe.

It is slow and pokey on all the computers I have tested it on. Far less responsive than Premiere Elements 7.

When editing, there are bizarre artefacts appearing throughout the Timeline. They appear on tracks above the actual tracks that contain the clips.

The program crashes spontaneously. However, this is nothing new. It happens with all the latest versions of Premiere Elements (7, 8, 9).

I have worked with Premiere since the earliest releases in the 1990s. I have Premiere Pro CS5, which is excellent software. The old Premiere 6.5 was terrific in its day.

As a university instructor, teaching Premiere Elements for 4 years, I can assure anyone that I am an expert with this software. I also have the opportunity to test it on many different PCs (I am not a Mac user).

Premiere Elements 9 is a disaster. It fails in every important category for computer-based editing software.

I will be recommending to the course coordinators at my university that we drop this application and look for an alternative.

Four years of trying to teach a flakey, unstable program is enough. Three strikes (v. 7, 8, 9) and you're out.

I'm so disappointed with Adobe here.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded

Once again, I'm not sure why you're sharing this here, Myron. Why not let Adobe know instead?

Posting this kind of stuff here -- on a page in which several people spend several dozen uncompensated hours a week helping people learn the program -- is just sort of like spitting in our faces.

Why not vent where it will make a difference?

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded
                            Myron Achtman Level 1

Hell Steve,

I wish I could "vent" where it counts, but so far I haven't found an Adobe URL that lets me do so.

The links provided in this thread just lead me to a "PHOTOSHOP.COM" page. After logging in and posting a message, nothing happens. The interface appears to lock up and my message ends up in never-never land.

I have tried calling Adobe, but I just get hooked up with someone from a foreign country (India, I believe) and they just work from a "script" asking silly questions that never lead to a resolution.

It may be frustrating for you to attempt to help people in this forum, but in my opinion, the best line of help would be telling the people to look elsewhere for another editing solution.

It's just not worth the effort. As I see it, Premiere Element 9.01 is THAT bad.

Myron Achtman

Vice President

ADITA Video Inc.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Downgraded

I'm not sure why you're having trouble getting to this screen, Myron. You get it when you click the Contact Adobe button and then click the Feedback tab.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

Meantime, I'm asking nicely to please stop posting complaints about the company to this forum. They won't get seen here by anyone who can help you. And, since people usually don't come here before they buy the program, they won't serve as a very effective warning to future buyers either.

I'm sorry you couldn't get the product working. But we've done everything we can for you here.