9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 9:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Is it possible to rename a project?

Brushman1000

I did a test project and expected to delete it, but it turned out really well, so I want to change it to a better title than "test delete xyz" is it possible to do it in a simple way? Or do I have to go through every associated file and change them to?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of a Rename, I would instead do a Save_As, choosing the name that you want. That will insure that all links still function correctly. Test that renamed Project, and if everything works, just Delete the old PREL.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
            Brushman1000 Level 1

Yes - after renaming it as you said, I had to do a little editing in pre, then after saving it - it then named the sub files correctly, thanks!

ed

The only odd thing is that the newly named file opens perfectly from organiser, but when I click on the project file in organizer it doesn't show the associated files - for that one new project.. Is there anything I can do about that?

• 3. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              The only odd thing is that the newly named file opens perfectly from organiser, but when I click on the project file in organizer it doesn't show the associated files - for that one new project.. Is there anything I can do about that?

I am not sure that I follow you on this question. When one does a Save_As, the only that happens is that PrE creates a new PREL file (the Project file), establishes the original links to all Assets, as in the original PREL (Asset files are never moved in any way), allows the user to choose the name for this new PREL, and its location, if different than the original PREL, and then leaves the "new" Project Open in the program. For more info on Project files and on Saving, see this ARTICLE.

I have to admit that I seldom use Organize, and have never used Organizer, so I am ignorant of what the each do, and how they display. For similar functions, I use Adobe Bridge, from my PrPro, PS, AI and InDesign.

As for Assets, I have a set workflow for all Projects. I create a root folder [Project Name] for each Project (might be a sub-folder, if it's for a client), and then under that root folder, I create new sub-folders for Videos, Music, Audio, Stills, SFX and Audio, with perhaps Titles, if I am creating those in another program, such as PS. The folder hierarchy looks like this:

[Project Name]

Audio

Music

SFX

Stills

Titles

Videos

I will then Copy any original Assets (say the Still Images) from my NAS drive, to the Stills folder. Same for other Assets - I always Copy, so any originals are always safe, untouched and not directly associated with that Project.

In the  [Project Name] folder, I will have my PREL. If I do a Save_As, I locate it in that  [Project Name] folder, so I might have Holiday_01.PREL and then a Save_As of Holiday_01A.PREL. The folder hierarchy never changes, and those Assets stay linked to each PREL version, as originally linked. If I find that I no longer need Holiday_01.PREL, I just Delete it, leaving Holiday_01A.

When I am finished, I can Move the  [Project Name] folder to, say an external (or use the Archiver feature), knowing that now those Absolute Paths to the Assets will have changed, but that is easy to fix, by relinking to the new Path, say G:\, instead of D:\, and PrE makes this relinking easy from the dialog screen asking, "Where is file _____?" It contains a finder, and since only my drive letter has changed, the folder structure has not changed, other than the drive letter from the Move.

If I am completely finished with a Project, I only have to Delete the root folder,  [Project Name], and it will Delete all sub-folders and all Asset Copies, associated with that Project.

Maybe Steve, Neale John T., or others, can directly address your question on Organize/Organizer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on Assets, and their Paths, see this ARTICLE on "Media Offline."

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                  Brushman1000 Level 1

1.PNG

Hunt - thanks!

That was a big answer, I'll read it fully in the morning..

I guess what I was trying to say was that it seems to work perfectly in editing, so there is no major problem, but within the organizer area when I click the "Garden" project, there are no image files showing with that, if you see the (scrawled on) screen capture.

There is a slight possibility that when I was deleting other sub files from other finished projects, I might have accidently deleted something I shouldn't but I would be a bit surprised. Who knows.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and just a guess on my part, what happens if you Dbl-click on the PREL in Organizer? Does that launch PrE and then Open that Project?

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                      Brushman1000 Level 1

No it doesn't open the project in PrE.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                        Brushman1000 Level 1

But it does without any problems if I right click the prel and click edit in Pre.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to rename a project?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good to know, and thanks for sharing. As I do not use Organizer, I just learned something!

Appreciated,

Hunt