1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 7:48 AM by Mylenium

the Size of a New Solid (scaling vs. creating close to size needed)

Cris is Bliss Level 1

what difference does it make if for example you create a New Solid that is 500 by 500  and you use the Scale controls to make it 50 by 50 compared to creating a 50 by 50 solid in the first place.  Does it use more processing or something.  Also what would be the difference going in the other direction.  That is Scaling up a 50 x 50 up to 500 by 500 as opposed to creating the 500 x 500 when making the New Solid.

I was doing a tutorial and that called for a ball.  I haven't gotten to the point where I can think "Oh yeah, I need to create a 75 x75 solid, that will be approx. the size I need"

Thanks in Advance

CS4 on a Mac

• 1. Re: the Size of a New Solid (scaling vs. creating close to size needed)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any resampling adds processing steps. Doesn't matter whether you scale up, down, rotate a layer, use effects and even simple position animation with sub-pixel precision will do that and AE's pipeline works in a way that there are no scenarios where it would not use those routines, anyway. Makes no sense to implement soemthing else as detecting those rare cases where no resampling might be needed or would not yield a visually different result are too far and few inbetween. So in the end, how you do it matters very little. The overall result and processing time won't be different.

Mylenium