6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 11:04 AM by Bill Gehrke

Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?

aarongabbard

When I get done with a file and try to go back to it it opens with Photoshop cs5 instead of Premiere Pro Cs5

Here are things I have tried to do to fix it

Right clicked it and tried to OPEN with Adobe Premeiere from the Programs menu Wouldn't work, Unclicked Always use Selected Program, But Still it didnt show up under the recommended programs...

Ive run Sypybot and Malware Programs No viruses or anything on it

tried System Restore It Didnt help Either

My Problem seems to be all of My Premiere pro Files are all associated with Photoshop it wasn't like this when I first installed it.

I went in and did a repair that didnt work either Ive been struggling with this problem for months

I then tried several Programs that was suppose to remove association type but it still has the Photoshop icon and still opens with photoshop

I don't want to run a clean install because It takes way to long so what can I do?

• 1. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Sounds like you need a registry modification.  I do not know where it was but recently I believe on this forum someone had a similar problem.  Try searching this forum for some keywords like registry or file associations

• 2. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

The following should fix the problem. Note that I take no responsibility for  what this does or may do, so you're on your own. I have had no problems with  it, but that is no guarantee of anything.

Create  a new text document (name it whatever you like), and change the  extension to .reg; this will specify it as a Windows registry file  entry. Copy and paste the following into the document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]
            @="Adobe Premiere Project"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
            @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
            @=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

Save the file, and then simply double-click it. A  dialog will appear asking if you want to add this information to the  registry--click Yes if you do (which I assume is why you're asking).  This will reassign the extension to the shell command to open a .prproj  file to Premiere Pro CS5--nothing more.

Again, I accept no responsibility for this if it melts your hard drive, calls you names, and kicks you in the shin. Registry hackery is not for the faint-of-heart, but in terms of potential for mishap, this rates about a 1.2 on a scale of 10.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
              aarongabbard Level 1

I have tried and tried to edit the registry and Even tried to figure out how to put Adobe Premiere Cs5 In My OTHER PROGRAMS list on my open with couldn't figure it out, I think it has to do with my Adobe for some reason being in my Programs Files Folder rather than my Program files (x86) Folder Maybe I installed it wrong i don't know But After weeks of searching I cound this little Program.

It finally let me change File Association and delete my old one So FINALLY I am able to double click my project and open it took about 15 minutes to figure out but Im just glad after months of PHOTOSHOP opening up every time I double clicked that its fixed I Just Had

Donwload the Program Run it

Scroll Down to my .prproj file

Then Edit Selected File type

Under User Choice I Selected Application/adobepremierepro.exe

Then After I selected it it shows up in a second menu on the bottom so

I Double Click it again and Make sure Default Action is Selected

Boom Im back to work....

I wish I would have knew how easy this was weeks ago!

• 4. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
                aarongabbard Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

The following should fix the problem. Note that I take no responsibility for  what this does or may do, so you're on your own. I have had no problems with  it, but that is no guarantee of anything.

Create  a new text document (name it whatever you like), and change the  extension to .reg; this will specify it as a Windows registry file  entry. Copy and paste the following into the document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
                @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
                @=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]

Save the file, and then simply double-click it. A  dialog will appear asking if you want to add this information to the  registry--click Yes if you do (which I assume is why you're asking).  This will reassign the extension to the shell command to open a .prproj  file to Premiere Pro CS5--nothing more.

Again, I accept no responsibility for this if it melts your hard drive, calls you names, and kicks you in the shin. Registry hackery is not for the faint-of-heart, but in terms of potential for mishap, this rates about a 1.2 on a scale of 10.

Thanks For the Info I Tried that before and It still didn't help But I finally figured it out with another program and It seemed to clear everything up

• 5. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
                  aarongabbard Level 1

I have tried and tried to edit the  registry and Even tried to figure out how to put Adobe Premiere Cs5 In  My OTHER PROGRAMS list on my open with couldn't figure it out, I think  it has to do with my Adobe for some reason being in my Programs Files  Folder rather than my Program files (x86) Folder Maybe I installed it  wrong i don't know But After weeks of searching I cound thishttp://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.htmllittle Program.

It  finally let me change File Association and delete my old one So FINALLY  I am able to double click my project and open it took about 15 minutes  to figure out but Im just glad after months of PHOTOSHOP opening up  every time I double clicked that its fixed I Just Had

Donwload the Program Run it

Scroll Down to my .prproj file

Then Edit Selected File type

Under User Choice I Selected Application/adobepremierepro.exe

Then After I selected it it shows up in a second menu on the bottom so

I Double Click it again and Make sure Default Action is Selected

Boom Im back to work....

I wish I would have knew how easy this was weeks ago!

I Hope this Helps Someone else who is having the same problem

• 6. Re: Projects opening with Photoshop and Not Premiere?
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

aarongabbard wrote:

I think  it has to do with my Adobe for some reason being in my Programs Files  Folder rather than my Program files (x86) Folder Maybe I installed it  wrong i don't know .

You sure did not install it wrong.  With the new 64-bit Windows any program that is 64-bit gets installed on the Program Files directory, and any 32-bit program gets installed in the Program Files (x86) directory.  There are a couple of things (like Apples Quicktime) that are not 64-bit so you will see several of Premiere CS5 and CS5.5 files that have to deal with QuickTime are installed in Program Files (x86).