6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 3:18 PM by Zoop studio

4 Hard Disk setup advice

Rikitt

I a new build and require some advice on how to manage my hard drives. My motherboard has ICH 10R Controller which support Raid 0, Raid 1. Raid10, and Raid 5. My OS and Programs are on C:\. I have 4 hardrives available. I am new to Raid, should I Raid these 4 hard drives? What would you suggest as a setup? Thanks!

• 1. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
          Zoop studio Level 1

You can read the great work of Harm Millaard about disk set up:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

If you give more info about your system like mobo, cpu and psu (brand & model) you will get more/better advice.

(there's a lot of knowledge around here)

Luc

• 2. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
            Rikitt Level 1

Intel®-Core™ i7-960 3.2GHz Processor

Asus LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard Sabertooth X58

Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit System

Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt

12GB Memory DDR3

(2) Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16MB Cache

note: my board supports ( 6 ) 3Gb/s drives,  and ( 2 ) 6Gb/s drives.

I am using (2) 3Gb/s drive ports currently which leaves me with (4) 3Gb/s ports available

(2) considering buying Seagate  7200 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache to utilize the 6Gb/s ports

• 3. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
              Zoop studio Level 1

You can consider a 7disk set up with a Asus P6T Deluxe/OC palm.(cheaper than sabertooth)

Very easy overclocking with the Asus Turbo V utility

1 disk (recommand Hitachi Desktar 7K3000 1.5TB for OS and programs)

4 disk in raid 10        ""              ''          ''        2 TB   for footage

2 disk SAS type high speed (10,000 rpm) on the Marvell 88SE6320 contr.in raid 0 for scratch/preview/ pagefile and output files

(or output file on a 8th disk, f.e.Esata)

Will cost you a little more but at least double your speed and handling of footage.

If you have the Sabertooth already, google: overclocking sabertooth etc.

I'm not an expert, hope there will be other input.

Luc

• 4. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
                Rikitt Level 1

I already have the Sabertooth as  indicated above. I already have the pc built. The OS is loaded and programs on C:/. Beyound that I already have bought 2- 500Gb/s drives, ready to be installed. I still need to order the 2-  1TB 6Gb/s drives. This is what I can afford for now, so I need to make it work the best as possiable. So, just wondering how I should setup drives?

C:\ OS & Programs

E:\ ?

F:\?

G:\?

H:\?

• 5. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

Here's what I'd do.

C: OS and Programs

D: Projects/Scratch (500 GB)

E: Media (1 TB)

F: Exports (1 TB)

G: Images (500 GB) (These are exported from Encore as a Master of your finished project.  If you ever need more copies, use the Image to burn more).

That assumes tape based media like DV or HDV, which naturally uses the tape as a 'backup'.  When using solid state media which has no natural backup, like AVCHD or XDCAM, here's what I'd do with what you have (which is not ideal, but is workable).

C: OS/Programs

D: Projects/Scratch (500 GB)

E: Media (1 TB x 2 in a RAID 1)

F: Exports/Images (500 GB)

For future considerations, here's the ultimate config, something to work towards.

C: OS/Programs

D: Projects/Scratch (1 TB x 2 in a RAID 1)

E: Media (1 TB x 3 or more in a RAID 3 using an Areca controller)

F: Exports (1 TB)

G: Images (1TB x 2 in a RAID 1)

This last gives you built-in backup protection for your project files, media and Master images, the three most imoprtant things you don't want to lose to a drive failure.

• 6. Re: 4 Hard Disk setup advice
                    Zoop studio Level 1

The Sabertooth is a super mobo, i thinks it's not so hard to overclock but i know on the Deluxe its made very easy.

You have to think on what you're gonna do with your system:

If you're gonna edit AVCHD or H264 footage you have to put more effort in cpu power because of the decoding.. try to overclock your cpu as much as possible.

(disk speed is less important)

If your footage is less compressed, it is the opposite: less need in cpu power more disk speed.

With 4 disk you're on risky territory(higher disk speed by 2 disk in raid 0 set up: disk problem is files gone forever) or you've great system that will underperform only because of the lack of  2 or 3 $50,- disks.

Harm Millard's (thé guru) disk rules: Slowest (small)disk: OS and program files,     Fastests (small)disks: cache, pagefile, preview, scratch.   Second fastests (largest)disks: inputfootage and in your case also your output files.

Luc