0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 1:52 PM by Peter Spier

How do I make InDesign put page 1 on the third (or other) page of my document?

Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

All InDesign files have at least one “section” that starts on the first page of the document. For a new file this is typically numbered page 1. You can, however, assign any number you wish to any page by using the Numbering & Section Options dialog (accessible from either the Pages panel flyout menu or by right-clicking on a page in the panel).

To change the number on the first page to something other than 1, click the second radio button to “Start Page Numbering at:” and choose a number. You can also leave this page as number 1, but use the style drop down to change the number format from Arabic to upper or lower case Roman numerals or the upper or lower case alphabet. This is also where you add a Section Prefix or Section Marker which can be included in your automatic page numbering.

To restart numbering at 1 on an inside page, select the page and open the dialog, then check the Start Section box, and select the Start Page Numbering at radio button and enter 1 in the number field. If you already have another page numbered 1 in the document, InDesign will warn you when you click the OK button. You can ignore this, but it may cause confusion for trying to select a page range, or you can find the other page 1 and change the numbering style. InDesing is quite happy having pages a, A, i I and 1 all in the same document.

Note that in versions where text is read left to right, InDesign will, by default, put odd-numbered pages on the right and even number pages on the left in a two-page facing-pages spread in order to conform to publishing tradition and reader expectations. This can result in a page changing sides if you change the numbering. If you wish, for some reason, to ignore convention and reverse the arrangement of pages you must disallow page shuffling for the document.