8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 1:16 PM by Colin Brougham

Reading TC for Sony FS100

rejdmast1 Level 2

Hi,

Does anyone know if PP CS5.5 can read the timecode from the native Sony FS100 files?  Hopefully, I am doing something wrong.

I have tried reading the TC with PP 5.03 and PP 5.5 on Windows 7 and it does not read the timecode.  I copied my video from the camera
      to my hard drive with Sony's CMU and the timecode comes over but PP doesn't see it.

I have tried importing individual files and also importing the whole folder that Sony's CMU makes.

I have tried setting on the "Write XMP ID to files on import" and "Enable Clip and Metadata linking".

Thnaks for any information.

• 1. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's three rules I recommend for using solid-state media.

1. Don't use any special software.  All you need is a standard file manager like Windows Explorer or Finder.

2. Copy the entire contents of the card to your hard drive, not just the media files.

3. Use Premiere Pro's Media Browser to do the importing.  Don't just right click in the bin and Import.

Following those three rules, a LOT of issues can be avoided.

I don't know for sure that applies here, but you did break at least rule number 1, so...

• 2. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Copying with Sony's software should be fine if it keeps the entire AVCHD folder structure (that's what the FS100 is, if I recall correctly) intact; if it just dumps everything in one folder, you'll lose the timecode and other metadata, like that which is used for clip spanning. If it's keeping the folder structure as it was shot, and Premiere Pro still isn't reading the TC, you might have encountered a bug. Historically, there have been a few snafus with PPro and its reading of AVCHD timecode, and since this camera rolled out after CS5.5, it's possible that something slipped through the cracks. But before going down that road, check that you have the PRIVATE folder and everything on down in place; if some key component of the folder structure is missing, timecode is not read.

Also, you don't have to use the Media Browser to import AVCHD and have the metadata read, again, so long as the folder structure is in place. It's certainly convenient to use the Media Browser, but Premiere Pro doesn't care how you bring the material in, so long as everything is right on your hard drive.

• 3. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro doesn't care how you bring the material in, so long as everything is right on your hard drive.

You sure about that?  People report spanned clips showing up as individual clips with a direct import, but showing up properly as one clip using Media Browser.

• 4. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
                Colin Brougham Level 6

You sure about that?

I'm positive.

• 5. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

So spanned clips show up properly without using Media Browser?

Curious.

• 6. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep. The Media Browser is a convenience--no more, no less. Premiere Pro uses the files, folders, and metadata to perform the spanning magic, and doesn't really care how you bring the clips into a project.

• 7. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
                      rejdmast1 Level 2

Well, I copied the whole folder structure over to my hard drive.  I tried using the Media Browser in PP as well as importing the folder from Bridge.

Still no TC.

It would be nice if Adobe would verify this before I submit a feature request.

• 8. Re: Reading TC for Sony FS100
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

It would be nice if Adobe would verify this before I submit a feature request.

They probably won't, so just submit the feature request--or more likely, bug report. I can confirm that timecode works with other AVCHD camcorders, at least those from Panasonic.